Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

If you are one of the people who quit playing why is it?(VOTE)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArrowExpert, Sep 16, 2017.

?

If you quit the game why did you quit?

Poll closed Sep 23, 2017.
  1. Constant server lag/ crashes first month

5.3%
  2. You log in once a week, but are waiting for patch.

24.4%
  3. Quit because of no content

71.0%
  4. Quit because of BPG

32.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Catorino

Catorino Crypt Guard
    Legend

Your words say one thing but your actions say another, you legit gutted the game of content like it was a roadkill deer and then added nothing, still have added nothing in terms of content.

2. breakqop

breakqop Crypt Guard

The only thing I really liked about Darkfall was the combat. I quit because traditional MMO "features" like a character and item grind keep me and the vast majority of potential players from being able to simply login and experience the best part of Darkfall.

Time for you dorks to realize that Darkfall should be an Arena game. Fuck your MMORPG fantasies.

3. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor

The game is like star citizen, but backwards.
    Mods being removed instead of added overtime. Eventually all we'll be able to do is ride mounts around, hell maybe even only view them in a browser. Rofl.

In all seriousness, this next patch is gonna go over many heads but I have a feeling the one after it will bring many players back.
    What a dark time for Darkfall indeed.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Geezy

Geezy Fire Elemental
    Wealthy Loyal Supporter

They gutted the game of content? What content? Wtf are you talking about? Darkfall didn't have much content at all besides what the players created. Afaik they took a build of Darkfall, made fairly minimal changes (mostly QoL stuff) and have been busy learning the code (which I'm 1000% sure after years of AV, was a complete disaster).

I haven't quit the game myself, but I know several people who have. Their main issue is a lack of population, which stems from a lack of content, which itself stems from the developers' lack of knowledge of the game code. I stuck with AV for years, while they did basically nothing. I'm willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt for a little while at least.

mirim and Uncle Jo like this.
  5. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Akathar

add "others" as anwer" dude...

kingp43 and Fengor like this.
  6. Circa

Circa Black Knight
    Legend

I've probably posted this 3 times by now but as long as bpg sees it, this is why i stopped logging in.
    • the amount of time to get a gear bag together
    • the lack of rewards from mobs
    • how boring/aggravating the pve actually is
    • skinning fails (skinning and receiving nothing that your farming for)
    • travel time
    • down time for mobs to respawn
    • 3 enchanting mats @ 5 per to enchant a lousy item that can be broken/looted in the matter of minutes
    For me to log in again the above mentioned would have to be re-structured.

Skinning fails need to be removed completely and skinning needs an increase.

Mobs need to stop dropping garbage that no one can sell or use. They should be dropping the better weapons/armor than crafted ones, like UO.

Mobs being so frustrating to kill with huge health pools on standard shit mobs, their AI being able to hit you with projectiles from a mile away and their mega health regeneration needs to be restructured.

Mob downtime needs to be adjusted again.

Instant travel from ac/uo would work in this game if everything wasn't so time consuming.

3 enchantments @ 5 per should be restructured ite so dumb that you need to farm 3 different mobs and most likely getting dicked on the skins. IF the issues I addressed were fixed like adding instant travel, no skinning fails, easier mobs this could be fine with a slight adjustment; maybe 3 enchants instead of 5 or whatever.

This is my opinion on why I don't log in and nothing will change unless these are resolved.

Hook likes this.
  7. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

the original DFO was anticipated by over 300k players. god knows how many hundred thousands have tried it over the years. ill pull a number out of my ass and say 90% have quit long before even experiencing the content the game already has. the number is most definitaly WAY higher but since its impossible to provide proof ill say 90%. in other words, no the game is not fine as it is. it never was. just cos you and a couple hundred other ppl like the combat as it is doesnt mean its good and simply adding content wont change anything at all. this game is majorly fucked up in literally all areas and needs massive overhauls. combat is just one aspect of that.

Brown Dorf likes this.
  8. Dreadseth

Dreadseth Goblin Warrior

This. It no longer even feels like darkfall....The very game that brought us all back does not exist.

9. The Law

The Law Goblin Warlord
    Supporter

Sorry to burst your bubble bud but DFUW tried combat diversity and look how well that panned out. The common factor between both games was lack of content. This is a very niche game and if you honestly think diversifying combat is going appeal to majority of mmo players and make them want to play then you are really out of touch with the mmo scene. Most mmo gamers see pk'ing as griefing, and have viewed every incarnation of DF as a mindless gankbox for griefers.

10. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

actually that couldnt be further from the truth. there is a massive community of mmo players that only care for pvp but they wont play a game that has more of quake than of an actual mmo. diversity is a fundamental cornerstone of a good mmo. but yes simply adding diversity alone wont be enough. the game definitaly also needs content in the long run and even more so now that the grind is basically gone but all those ppl who tried the game and quit did not do that due to lack of content. infact thats probably the last thing they quit over. BPG is doing the right thing prioritzing fixing the fundamental flaws over adding content. they should focus entirely on aquiring new players and retaining them and for a new player this game already has plenty of content.

also DFUW did not fail due to combat diversity. that was actually the main thing that made UW superior to DFO. it failed cos a bunch of butthurt vet neckbeards got all cranky that their broken game got taken away from them so they tried to sabotage it as best as they could from day 1 all the way to the end and AV simply stopping to give a fuck and just go full afk for the entire last year.

Prodigy_Burn and kingp43 like this.
  11. The Law

The Law Goblin Warlord
    Supporter

Just to clarify, the point I was attempting to make was that it was the lack of content that caused DFUW to fail not the combat diversity. It doesn't matter what the combat is like, if there's nothing to do in game then no one will play it, that's just common sense. And as for that massive pvp community, most of them are tab targeters and won't even touch a game where you have to actually aim. This game just doesn't appeal to mmo players, it really appeals more towards the survival game crowd. Just look at dark and light and how many people were super let down that the game wasn't going to be a mmo that supports 1000's of players on one server. If this game was designed to be more like a survival crafting game where you could build anything anywhere then population wouldn't be an issue at all regardless of what the combat is like.

Lucan likes this.
  12. breakqop

breakqop Crypt Guard

why can't i like my own posts
    they're the only ones that matter

13. Jayro

Jayro Goblin Shaman
    Legend

Roaming around to find people in an empty world is why I ultimately stopped logging in.

I think for DFO to succeed in Today's market there has to be some type of Arena system for people who have limited playtime to log in and have guaranteed fun fights.

IMO there needs to be at least two arenas - one Ranked, and one Unranked. Both full loot, so there is still a risk/reward to make the fights meaningful.

Shit we could even use a dueling mechanic, something like Wow's dueling system so we can take them down to 1hp and then the fight is over, so we aren't wasting time buffing, or wasting good food over and over.

Everyone knows the best content is the players, and Darkfall's competitive advantage is how fun the fights are with the combat system in-game.

The only way to save Darkfall is to embrace these concepts by adding in as many ways to get players fighting each other as possible. The changes to village capturing seems like a step in the right direction, we just need more incentives to log in and kill each other.

-Make the city buffs "stealable" like a relic in DAOC, so an enemy clan can go in and "capture the flag" and steal your city buffs. (and then you gather your team and go take them back)
    -Make each holding require a gold upkeep, and make it so enemy clans can steal the money, so you have to protect your holdings

These next few might sound familiar:
    -Make it so when enemies hit your nodes you can see the system spam so you know to go fight them and defend your holding
    -Add portals in player holdings so I can bind where my clan members live for dueling, and still port over to fight the guy hitting our mine
    -Add portals in player holdings, so when you raid a clan you can port to their other holdings to potentially find more fights

14. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

This is the key to it all and the hardest thing for those asking for 'content' to understand, its not about creating content to entertain them, its about creating a game that entertains more people who then will entertain them.

For many the content they want is more pvp and the best way to add more PvP is to add more people, but adding some new things for vets to fight over instead of the 100 other things they can already fight over, isnt going to help.

15. Catorino

Catorino Crypt Guard
    Legend

DFO survived for years because there was a value in having holdings, biggest reason holdings had value was portal chambers, owning 2 holdings completely seperate of eachother and you could still use both was massive for the game, sieges where you cared about winning.

This game had a grind that nobody really wanted to do, it had no value in holdings because there was no way to travel between them which ment alot of holdings were dead or too far away from anything to go raid, mines were to quick to empty so even if you were near the holding and saw someone hitting it they emptied in 2 min and were gone, without system messages it was made even worse because you can't even defend your mines and get fights.

I would say alot of changes that happened in the game was actually bad for it's population because they were never completed.
    *Wildness portals, the network was never comprehensive enough to replace the chambers
    *System messages removed, can't defend your holdings
    *Ship speed and turning increased, can't actually fight people who are on boats and don't want to fight
    *Anything combat related

They also did alot of stupid things, like in beta they increased the range of r70 weapons without telling people, after live they added islands that had really good spawns and never told anyone because having to chase down an island that dosen't exist on your map is good content which lead to people farming that shit super safe.

Honestly between Kilrain and Destlocke I'm suprised they still got the server online.

otoan likes this.
  16. Janosh

Janosh Windlord
    Legend

preach it brother

17. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

This was a two edged sword for all it did to make sieges more important it really killed the everyday life to the point only sieges were important and a very large percent of the player base would practically only log on for sieges.

It made acquisition of mats all about teleporting so players had very little 'gravity' in the game, they would log on and port to a holding near a spawn they needed and recall home so of course open world pvp would be hard to find. It also cerated a barrier of entry by making the whole world always competing at the highest levels, making it very difficult to get in to from scratch. So very few new players coming in and those that are playing know how to be efficient making the world feel dead.

Its pretty much the same story as what happened here, except here it occurred at an accelerated rate for a number of reasons, with the exception of holdings not having enough perceived value to even stimulate sieges.

18. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

My reasoning would probably fall under content but it was much bigger than that.

Political warfare game was actually worse than unholy wars. Cities devalued, many monsters devalued, and just the bad of the siege system.

Value of many items seemed to be decreased.

Travel time to anywhere at the time of my quitting was horrible. The time it took to find a fight, much less a good one was rare.

Not seeing anything on the road map that convinced me the game would turn around.

These could have been alleviated imo if they enabled portal chambers (with wilderness portals). So much was lost when they removed them. Siege warfare political warfare, daily pvp fights, and contesting pve hotspots to name a few. But ole BPG pulled an AV and became stubborn with their mindset.

I'm still sorely disappointed an arena/ladder system wasn't acknowledged. IMO that is one of the most surefire ways to keep a competitive long lasting community interested. As long as it is done right so not to adhere the open world pvp/city value (obviously putting a sink in the system to keep people in the world). It would not have saved Darkfall but it would have kept people interested long term and made the game streamable until BPG could get their shit together.

In anycase I'm still now not seeing anything for the future of the game that interests me. I do hope BPG can turn it around but everything is against them at this point, even the name of the game.

#38 propain, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    kingp43 likes this.
  19. tommeh

tommeh Dire Zombie
    Contributor Hero

20. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

dno man considering literally everyone i used to play traditional mmos with for the last 15 years plays either pubg or overwatch or cs or all of them and some even on a semi professional level id say you´re mistaken here aswell. fps combat has nothing to do with why ppl dont play darkfall. its not exactly hard to get good at fps. its 100% muscle memory so anyone that has arms and just plays alot will eventually get good at it unlike traditional mmos that take actual skill to get good at. there surely are a bunch of ppl in the mmo scene that simply arent interested in anything fps combat related sure but for the majority there are other reasons why they wont play darkfall. a prime example would be a friend that i i tried to get into the game at DFO release. he was all set up but when he tried to buy the game he couldnt cos AV fucked something up with the billing system so he couldnt enter his CC info cos the field was 2 digits too short. its amateurish bullshit like that that stopped ppl from trying the game back then and you can find amateur bullshit like that all over the game still to this day. the game simply is a really really bad product that triple A companys wouldnt even release as an alpha for free public testing. thats why i think polishing the game has higher priority than adding content if the game wants to appeal to a bigger crowd. however you´re right the game would be more appealing to the mmo crowd if the focus would be less on fps and more on mmo. DFUW went into that direction and literally everyone i know prefers UW much over DFO. partly due to the game beeing less quake more mmo and partly due to the fact that its way more polished.

also i totally get your point that in your opinion the game needs content. it definitaly does but you have to keep in mind that you and most others that are already here have played DFO for 4 years and UW for another 3 years so you have seen and done every piece of content the game has a hundred times so naturally you want new stuff. thats completely understandable and justified but the goal for BPG shouldnt just be to retain the already existing playerbase but expand it and for that to happen simply adding content wont do anything cos the new players we had at launch did not quit cos of a lack of content. they quit cos the game is an unpolished brutal unforgiving mess they even have to pay for. then add the fact that a new player with zero game knowledge gets put up vs 7 year veterans that know every bit of the game like the back of their hand which can kill them anywhere at any time as they please and ask yourself if you would play this game if you were a new player. that is why massive changes to the combat are inevitable in order for the game to succeed. its not enough to shift the meta, it has to be broken and remade on a fundamental basis to lessen the gap. obviously vets will still have an advantage but it would be alot smaller. i completely agree with you that the game needs content i simply dont agree that its the top priority atm.