Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

If you are one of the people who quit playing why is it?(VOTE)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArrowExpert, Sep 16, 2017.

?

If you quit the game why did you quit?

Poll closed Sep 23, 2017.
  1. Constant server lag/ crashes first month

5.3%
  2. You log in once a week, but are waiting for patch.

24.4%
  3. Quit because of no content

71.0%
  4. Quit because of BPG

32.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

I left due to lack of population, lack of things to do in an instant. I hope the new portal system will fix that. The new village system looks good too if it means that i don't have to go farm just to go cap a VCP with B-spikes.

When ever i log-in, the first thing that's fun that we can do is dueling. For everything else, it always takes some time like roaming, crafting, organizing our banks, things like that.

I wish that most things would come handy like dueling rather than ''everything'' taking too long.

If for starters, crafting was instant(crafting 100 pieces of bones armour should take no time at all), if arcane rings were removed(plus towers nerfed) or good from the first type of ring/neck you can make, if enchanting was not as annoying as it is now(no fun to place 4 different type of items every single time for 25+ items), then i'd be down to come back.

With everything taking too much time, it starts to feel like a waste of my time to play DF when i could be doing something else like cleaning...

quietnoobz likes this.
  2. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

And this is the direction we are taking the game. Of course there will be things that require a lot of time and effort to achieve and/or acquire (like titles, faction rewards, rare crafting recipes, etc) but we want to ensure that the "meat" of the game is easy to dive right into and something casual players with limited time to play can enjoy.

The new village mechanics is an example of this - you will no longer need to farm for battlespikes in order to participate and the rewards you get from them will be gained instantly and will go directly into your bank. Anyone will now have access to this part of the game, from a brand new player who happens upon an active village that is uncontested to a veteran and his friends fighting another veteran clan over control of a village nearby their holdings.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Wes Furtive likes this.
  3. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Because i wanted a fps fantasy version of EvE and thats not the direction BPG took it (while the other guys are)

Prodigy_Burn, Rimamok, Drago and 2 others like this.
  4. exile

exile New Member
    Legend

Incompetent development team with no clear vision. I obviously knew this was going to be the case before I bought the game, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and stayed hopeful by purchasing the largest founders pack and 1 year game time.

With that being said, they've done nothing impressive and we all knew from day 1 that if Darkfall did not go through a radical change, it would not succeed. Our clan would joke about the game lasting 2 months, even in alpha. Sadly that swiftly became the reality of the game and strongly feel its because of poor management, the refusal to hire or replace current team members and absolutely poor priorities. BPG not only had thousands of suggestions on their own forum, but most of them were long members of the community and had 5+ years of suggestions from DFO forums.

5. Fishsauce

Fishsauce Goblin Shaman

Sorry but "learning the code" isn't something you do in a beta phrase. Most of the code should be understood and ready by the time of beta. If not, then don't move to beta plain and simple. The kind of development works you're doing now should have been done in the beta phrases. I'd like to support your effort i really do but quit beating around the bushes and admit it that you rushed an unfinished product. You're basically making us (the customer) paying for a beta and at the same time testing your product. Have you learned anything from AV mistakes?...

#45 Fishsauce, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  6. kingp43

kingp43 Goblin Shaman
    Hero

Not enough poll options obviously, but -

I played daily, many hours thru beta, right up until the grind reduction patch, as soon as they changed that stuff I stopped. I didn't have a character to develop anymore.

My biggest complaints of the game this time around haven't been addressed, and apparently not even on their radar. The stuff I see coming down the pipe look to me like I will have no desire to play for at least 6 months.

In no particular order -

The in game communication is absolutely worthless. There is no way to communicate with nearby players or passersby, making sure that small groups get together naturally. You can ride up to a spawn where people are farming and the only form of communication is to do squats in front of each other to show that your friendly? WTF. Don't get me started on the stupid 12 or so chat tabs that nobody looks at. How many times have you tried to say something to someone in public chat or even in a tell, and have them not even notice it at ALL, or maybe respond sometimes an hour or two later. If I could talk to someone locally like Rust, with actual voice chat, this would help this game incredibly. You'd see groups of 5 or 6 low level players gathering together to fight small groups of attackers, and possibly have a chance.

The lack of a skill cap is completely mind boggling. You seriously invite people to do everything - all schools of magic, all forms of crafting, all forms of harvesting, literally everything. Wow talk about grind. If there was something like a 700 point skill cap, the grind would be minimal. Couple weeks tops. No wonder people can't sell their crafted items, every single person out there is selling the same shit that they made 100 of to level up their crafting. UO made it perfect, it's proven, it's fair, it creates diversity, on and on and on. Everyone can do every school of magic? WTF is the point of having different schools if everyone is everything. Just make one school - MAGIC, just kidding this is stupid, introduce a skill cap. There's a million reasons why this is the superior method.

The players jacking up noob players - that's partially on the players doing the griefing, but honestly, that's just bad game design. Why do these idiots have nothing better to do than harass noobs, for loot that they don't need at all, while the noobs whole reason to play is for that little bit of loot? Give the vets something better to do than kill noobs for their life savings at every turn. I'm sure you seen the hundreds of complaints from new players in game asking why the fuck the vets are hanging around the kobold spawns killing new players.

There's way more, but I'm not trying to get people to read three pages of shit that's been said a thousand times.

Lastly, make archers viable lol. WTF is wrong with you. Heres some inspiration

foolofatom likes this.
  7. quietnoobz

quietnoobz Chosen of Khamset

i quit because my clan was all playing vanilla wow private servers instead of darkfall, and then destiny 2 came out, but i'm already sick of destiny 2. . . . . time for portal patch whew whew! woo woo

8. johntrikone

johntrikone Undead Dwarf
    Legend

Why do the percentages add up to 131.7?

edit: Quit because lack of new content btdubs. Modifying previously existing content is mostly what BPG has done since they've gotten their hands on the game.

9. otoan

otoan Crypt Guard
    Loyal

I love these internal polls of veteran darkfall players. I honestly do. It shows exactly why this game failed. What BPG needs to do is grab some people outside the darkfall community and ask THEM why they don't play. I bet the suggestions would be a lot different. If they implemented THOSE changes most veterans would come back because they'd have fodder to kill. I knew the minute I saw this ninja turtle spamming the chats and spending all his time devoted to killing off the player base that this game was going to ultimately fail. (listening to people on these forums was your first mistake. they'll play the game in any form and i bet i'll see a bunch of them playing new dawn despite whatever the fuck they say here.)

BPG you should get rid of the map. Use the engine to make a 5v5 arena game. profit.
    --- Post updated ---
    It's really the only course you have. Maybe even just make an arena game off to the side and when that gains popularity and people actually see the amazingness of DFO combat they'll actually deal with all the shittiness of the mmo.

Rimamok likes this.
  10. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

New players are forced to either join our alliances or create new ones. The likelihood of a new player starting a new clan and new alliance is low. All Darkfall content revolves around clans and alliances, so if all the vets quit, so does the content.
    --- Post updated ---
    It's a poorly designed poll and reflects nothing.

I'll just come out and predict what people will say about why they don't try Darkfall:
    • Morrowind graphics are ugly
    • The character animations look like they're from 1999
    • It takes 15-45 minutes to travel anywhere?
    • Full loot
    • No sick outfits to try on
    • No lore
    What's special about Darkfall is not any of those things, but that's what people will say.

helgrik and Scrubby Bear like this.
  11. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

this, fucking beautiful

12. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

then why are the vets crying for content then? all the tools you had to create content for the last 7 years are still there. meanwhile BPG can focus on turning the game into something more than 500 ppl actually wanna play and once that is done and the game is no longer considered a trainwreck everyone outside of this community laughs at they can start adding actual non player driven content for an actual playerbase.

i totally see why you and all the other vets want content so bad but its just extremely selfish by you guys cos you want something new to experience but it wont grow the playerbase at all. in the very best case it brings all the 500 diehard fans back and the game is still a graveyard. fixing the game so it appeals to thousands of players instead is just way higher priority than pleasing the 500 vets that will never really quit anyway.

they game had non player driven content in terms of character development but BPG dropped the ball there and listened to you guys again (huge mistake) when they removed that and made it possible to max a toon in a day or two. what they should have done instead is introduce a skillcap to remove the need to lvl everything to be viable and turn the majority if not the entire mainland into a full safezone to protect new players from griefers. this alone would have gone a long way to make this game more appealing to a bigger crowd while requiring extremely little dev time. it would also eliminate the need for this utterly broken alignment system everyone is complaining about since launch. from there all it takes is a few bug fixes and gfx/animation updates so the game doesnt look like its from 1995 and we would be well on the way to a successful steam launch and a healthy game. and yes you´re gonna say "but then its not darkfall anymore". well thats the point. darkfall as we know it is a flawed concept that has never and will never work no matter how much content they add to the game. this game needs fundamental changes in its very foundation or its simply gonna go into an early grave for a 3rd time.

Mycke likes this.
  13. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

Cant say I liked the idea of the whole mainland being safe, but i liked the rest alot! :D

14. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

honestly i dont like it either but thats what needs to happen to turn this game into something the general mmo crowd would want to play. i like the original brutal concept of darkfall but its pretty obvious that its simply not working and i rather play a more carebear version of the game with an actual population than playing the original version alone.

mirim likes this.
  15. ArrowExpert

ArrowExpert Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

30 votes on people quit because of BPG.

71 votes on no content.

31 votes on waiting for patch.

3 on server performance.

16. PENETRATOR

PENETRATOR Earth Elemental
    Legend

- Removal of racial wars - killed the only RP reason to PvP, replaced with nothing, no factions, no religion. Left with gankbox, followed by:

- Attempts to fix alignment, but not being able to fix it, while creating more problems. How does this happen? Had months/years to come up with alignment system, propose to public, get comments and adjust it.

- Rude developers (we all know who). Still working/volunteering for BPG. PR image is very important, doesn't help to have $%#@$%! on dev team.

- Rushing the game "re-"release. Some say for cash grab. BPG said they wanted to get the game out to players. They fuck up the game on multiple fronts. Thanks for the game we don't want, I guess? Not fixing dozens NPE problems before release. Shit first impression to new players. Resulted in:

- Population drop. Now they have to change the game for 100 players instead of thousands. Completely different approach if you designing the game for 100 players vs for 10000 players.

- Mob loot/scaling done incorrectly. Would think ex-players would know how to balance mobs. They made it so only 2 players should be farming. Bigger group = less profit. Nothing learned from years of Darkfall. Very disappointing.

- They still don't understand what this game needs. Developers got big head. Multiple fails, got called out multiple time by probably a hundred people. Still continue in wrong direction.

- BPG listened to wrong people, or they didn't listen to anyone at all and thought they knew it all. Lesson learned? Judging by dev comments and continued wrong direction they didn't learn anything imo.

- With current BPG flow, any meaningful changes will take forever to make.

- Haven't seen a single advertising item about Darkfall Rise of Agon outside of these forums. Not that it should be advertised, but if devs thought the game was ready for release, shouldn't they advertise for the game?

- Feels like money was stolen from me. I paid $100 + some $ donation to receive an inferior version of DF 2012.

helgrik likes this.
  17. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Several streamers were paid to play the game or watch the trailer.

Fengor likes this.
  18. Kalos

Kalos Frostjarl
    Legend

Too busy IRL.

19. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

"Still learning the code" of course is something that is usually done during alpha or before. Obviously this is a different situation though, since they inherited an already completed game. The problem was I think they prioritized the wrong things, and failed to address the game's flaws quickly enough. Release shouldn't have happened until all of that got ironed out. And now they are changing their goals and priorities half a year in, and players are confused and frustrated with the game's future.

Mea Kulpa, kilrath81 and Fengor like this.
  20. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

As it stands, a player that wants the full experience of darkfall has to join one of the few active clans left or the alliance. If not, then the player will likely quit the game after a week. No one wants to play a MMORPG by themselves. Not enough content for this to be played by yourself and this game is best experienced with others. Sieges, group pvp, sea tower, city raiding are the best aspects of the game.