Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

I'm A Support Player....What To Do.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by kompletist, May 7, 2017.

1. kompletist

kompletist Goblin Warrior
    Tester

Sup all. I know the instant someone brings up the word class in DF they get thrown into a volcano here but I'll take my chances.

I played DF1 back in the day and I'm here again with the people I met then :)

Never been a huge MMO player, DF1 is the only classic MMO that held my attention in fact. With that being said my primary gaming background is in FPS, RTS and MOBA games (CS 1.6, Starcraft, DOTA, LoL).

Ever since DFUW collapsed the crew and I have been focusing mostly on MOBA games and it was during this time I really hit my stride with the conventional support classes. I'm no hero but I love setting heroes up for success basically. I like initiators, healers, shielders and utility. I like to think I do these things very well partially because I enjoy it so much.

Sorry for the long wind up there but that leads me to my question/suggestion....what is one to do in DF? The Hybrid 1on1 100K Bro role isn't my style at all. I consider that to be more of the carry class if we want to keep this metaphor going. In a perfect world I would be playing a class or within a playstyle to keep that person alive or enable them to succeed.

My friends are telling me to go destroyer/mage killer because that's really the only other viable option besides the class/playstyle I just described. That doesn't really fit what I prefer to do either. Getting into the backline and doing godlike amounts of damage isn't a pressing need or desire for me. Again....I would probably want to be assisting that person whether is be through buffs/heals/utility.

It seems as though I have one of two options. Go full meatshield and try to peel / soak damage or I can go mage to focus on buffs/heals/utility. The issue is I can't do both and it seems like whatever path I choose it's going to be very difficult to ever slip into the shoes of the play style I'm leaving on the table.

Just wanted to give some feedback for future ideas. Any suggestions on things I could be doing now would be great as well.

2. Garou Lintermittent

Garou Lintermittent Goblin Shaman
    Hero

You can do that already. You've got two options, pretty much:
    - Gear up light and use the support spells the game put at your disposal, while assisting with a variety of damage spells
    - Gear up hybrid and use unburden to do bursts of spells, may it be damage or heals / buffs, and either use archery to do damage and utility spells when your unburden is on cooldown.

Hope that helps.

stubbyfire likes this.
  3. Bartlebe

Bartlebe Chosen of Khamset
    Loyal Patron Legend

Going down the mage role and focusing on a support role in a fight will be a huge boon for your team. Good cross heals can win fights by themselves. Also, as in many MOBAs, a support being able to throw debuffs, AoEs, knockups, movement impairing spells and some damage is also very helpful. I think there is plenty of room for you to play your style.

Darkfall gives you all the tools you need. Find a squad that needs a more support player and you'll be priceless.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. stubbyfire

stubbyfire New Member

^ This! ^

5. Magos

Magos Windlord
    Supporter Contributor

do these things well in a group and any group would be lucky to have you. Just have at it man, get ur spellchanting up, craft good shields, gear, etc...you can def play support in this game. You can also use begone/shrapnel as peelers.

6. Schnid

Schnid Akathar
    Hero

I think mage gives you the most flexibility in combat. As a Destro or Hybrid you're going to be strictly limited to dealing damage.

For you I'd say stick to the following things in combat:

1) Heals
    2) Making calls (even if you're not the main shot caller you can still be relaying important info like who needs peels, who is low etc..)
    3) Peeling for people
    4) Primarily using knockups, WOF, Eye Rot

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  7. kompletist

kompletist Goblin Warrior
    Tester

Thanks for the suggestions all! Some good ideas on things to try, really appreciate it.