Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

In Your Honest Opinion ROA or DND

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rethgar, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Rethgar

Rethgar Goblin Shaman

Sell me the game......go.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Leafcrawl

Leafcrawl Goblin Warlord

For me it’s RoA!

I personally could never get into Dungeons & Dragons, but a lot of people seem to enjoy it.

Perhaps I should revisit it? Who wants to get their Roleplay on!? I’ll be Saint Leafcrawl the Human Mage from Agon!

3. Sintan

Sintan Black Knight
    Affluent Legend

DND has local banking, no fast travel, and if you live on Ruby but die on Yssam you have to spawn on Yssam and enjoy your nice stroll back across Agon.

But hey, mount inventory.

4. NonFactor

NonFactor Fire Giant
    Affluent Legend

Honestly? Dnd is a complete waste of time.

Thats my opinion.

#4 NonFactor, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  5. Havyk

Havyk Goblin Scout
    Opulent Legend

ROA because it’s faster to get pvp viable. The changes they made to spawns makes pve more enjoyable. You can grind gear and enchanting mats much quicker. Villages give you a good amount of pvp instantly most of the time, lately is has been lackluster but it should pick up after the next patch. You are not limited to what you can craft so you are completely self sufficient as long as you don’t mind putting the effort into farming mats.

I lose more fights than I win and more gear than probably any1 and it completely unfazes me because I can go farm for an hour or two and have decent gear bags back

6. Animal

Animal Obsidian Golem
    Hero

Everything in DND felt like I was working a full-time job, rather than playing a competitive game or an RPG.

Not my idea of effectively spending leisure time.

7. Rethgar

Rethgar Goblin Shaman

No need for an alt, pretty much sold it to me there.

viniciusdel and Wes Furtive like this.
  8. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Dnd has some good like leveling up spawns and racial wars and races working together at mob spawns. Also jumping around while shooting spells and arrows and finally spells auto leveling with the school.

Roa has way more to offer though. Better ui. Mobs drop loot which feels more rewarding. Better new player experience. Faster skill ups. Villages are worth capturing like in dnd but more well rounded. Roa has less bugs. Roa is NAserver. Can craft everything in roa don’t need 4 alts like in dnd. Roa has more new things in darkfall than dnd. Roa doesn’t feel like a full time job like dnd did.

9. Gotja

Gotja Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

combat is more fun in new dawn without wof and the ttk is alot longer

but the amount of time it takes to do anything makes the game not worth playing

10. Sintan

Sintan Black Knight
    Affluent Legend

New dawn spawn leveling is NOT a better system than scaling. [​IMG]

That is a personal bank not a clan bank. Jk its a clan bank. Still retarded as that was taken like a month after launch.

#10 Sintan, Mar 9, 2018
    Damaja, Sique and Fengor like this.
  11. Zeb

Zeb Infernal
    Wealthy Hero

DnD is for hardcore crafters that hate mage's

Fengor likes this.
  12. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

u can be a pirate and sail the sea for other pirates and treasure

13. The Red King

The Red King Varangian Warthane
    Loyal Legend

I really gave DND a shot and I couldn’t stand it. I didn’t like the combat, I hate the stamina burn. The travel you have to do to find someone is insane.

The VCP fights are cool when people show up, granted most people were afraid of Ook Ook as they should’ve been.

The game is absolutely dead. We traveled to Ruby in prime time and didn’t find a single person farming. Found 4 guys in a holding.

Mostly everything is better in RoA.
    From the Ui to the textures to the first available, to the loot.

Dnd does run very smooth. The no delay fast casting I kind of like as well. You can jump on everything which helps newer players be very bad. The “classes” are severely unbalanced. Sieze is rediculous. The tons of local markets with nothing on them is a joke. The walk of shame when you die is insane. Mages suck and require 10x the amount of time to level.

If RoA can make a great perk combat change and fix worthless housing / fix the stutter bug after x amount of ports and make people want to own holdings they will easily win this battle. But they have a lot of work to do.

#13 The Red King, Mar 9, 2018
  14. Buffalo Spaceman

Buffalo Spaceman Frostjarl
    Hero

DnD is not a PvP game, can't compare.

NonFactor and Fengor like this.
  15. Gotja

Gotja Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

that is the clan bank but still crazy

Sintan likes this.
  16. Sintan

Sintan Black Knight
    Affluent Legend

oh it is? i read it was personal when i saw the pic.. rip. either way its retarded lol

17. sky

sky Undead Dwarf
    Benefactor

That was our clan bank, not a personal. It looks even more crazy now, but most of us stopped playing. Most of our raw mats and gold were kept on the crafting alts, so that really wasn't much in comparison to what we could make. I just know our biggest restraint was simply the time to craft.

Overall, my review, trying to be as objective as possible:

The game, at its base, is Darkfall, so even with the balance changes, when you get fights it is quite fun. I never had fights the size i get a villages in ND in any iteration of Darkfall i had played before. (Started in UW).

I liked what they did with spawn scaling, and it couldve been something really amazing for the game but... the loot tables were awful and it resulted in nine mobs worth killing for gear, everything else was a waste of your time. Like you could hit up the Sele and get a few K rare ore, or hit up the Cairn Giants and get 200 stone for the same amount of time. This actually is a huge issue, and makes most holdings worth nothing, and most houses worth nothing which, in conjunction with most mobs not being worth farming, makes most of the world empty.

The title system was another thing that was cool i guess for people who weren't too fond of the everything available style of play. The problem came in was that it was way too "hard" and once you picked, going anything else was basically shooting yourself in the foot as you were dead weight until you got your 50s/sieze/whirlwind whatever. I, like spawn scaling, thought it would have been better with some changes, like no skills unlocked from it just effectiveness to encourage people to play certain ways.

Marketplaces were actually pretty cool, but, i would've preferred regional marketplaces. They felt -really- rushed though. They were implemented with little to no QOL features like viewing whats available at other marketplaces and no real forms of transport for large quantities of goods.

Local banking, not much to say here. I don't really mind it one way or another, but, it felt like it lacked any serious depth, and wouldve been much better served if it was regional to increase everyones bubble as the population of the game is low in comparison to other modern MMOs, especially for such a large map.

Houses are also kinda questionable in general.. I guess they are meant to fill the void for small groups or something, but for the most part appear to be a waste of time and money.

The grind wasn't too bad either, honestly. I'd probably say slightly easier than ROA was on launch.

Despite all of this though, the game felt silky smooth to me, even with 120 ping, i had no problems keeping up with 99% of people i ran across, and in many cases felt better than it did the last time i played ROA.

In short, the ideas are cool, the foundation is there, but the game lacks any real depth to what it has and theres virtually no new content, and some of its major features (spawn scaling and marketplaces) are broken due to a horrendously imbalanced economy and no gold value. It felt rushed on release, like ROA did, as if they ran out of funding. The game is silky smooth though in comparison to the last time i played ROA months ago.

I personally won't be resubbing, but, it's probably worth a try for a bit while the activity is high and i don't see that lasting long, its pretty obvious its plummeting already as one-months run out. You won't really be missing anything if you don't though.

#17 sky, Mar 10, 2018
    Wes Furtive, Nat and Rimamok like this.
  18. Grisvok

Grisvok Skeleton Archer

DND has fun pve. I liked their scaling for bigger mobs. But no fast travel is awful and so is local banking. Class system was horribly balanced but it was fun at first to feel like you had a bunch of new play styles.

Problem with both games is lack of content once your maxed. RoA does a much better job of letting you bank build on your own and let’s you avoid the early grind ( when you have no spells and your character sucks). So overall RoA has more to do. The added fast travel is soooo convenient and makes the whole game feel less tedious.

DND won’t succeed. Not with their development rate. Not with their uncompromising “vision.” I think if this game gets some solid pve added, some type of territory control, and some type of “perk” system it will win easily.

Long term (5-10years) it’s hard to say. Not sure how much either company is willing to spend on advertising. And I’m unsure how far they’ll go to get customers back (steam release/full wipe).

19. skreww L00se

skreww L00se Undead Dwarf
    Legend

roa

Fengor and Argast like this.
  20. Argast

Argast Goblin Warlord

ROA!!!

Fengor likes this.