Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Increase the TTK

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by RootedOak, Jul 28, 2017.

1. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

The skilled players are still going to win against the weaker opponent. This will help slow down the speed that people are getting eliminated.
    • All damage sources reduced by 7%.
    • Melee Haste magnitude reduced by 50%.
    • Archery Haste reduced by 50%.
    Nothing drastic, but lowering all damage across the board by 7%. Then specifically Haste melee and haste archery speed magnitude reduced by 50%. This effects both mage and destroyer in group fights.

Lower skilled players will have less of an instagib feel when they're stomped by hasted vets. Vets who get destro rushed won't get "point fived" as quickly. Destros who get meleed by haste mages will have a bigger window to pull away and recover.

Problems:
    • Might buff efficiency enchants.
    • Will buff zergs (problem?)
    • PvE also gets harder (already easy af)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Wes Furtive, Nat, Mega and 4 others like this.
  2. Zorak

Zorak Dire Zombie
    Supporter

Remove spell haste as well.

Keep it as an enchant, so players actually have to make a decision in their gear bag.

Powerful, fast, efficient, pick 2.

3. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

I'm fine with this as long as stat management stays the same. You shouldn't be able to fight forever without taking a significant break to regain your stats.

4. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

Sort of agree, but I think that completely removing otherbuffs or changing them to have sacrifice range but only last 5-10 seconds would be better in my opinion, as it would also solve other issues at the same time.

gosti likes this.
  5. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

You can't fuck over ranged archery dps and leave mages the same lol come on you should've thought about that. You can slow down all buffs- ranged haste / mellee haste / casting haste by the same modifier to keep the game balanced.

We already have enough mages.

kilrath81 likes this.
  6. Kilset

Kilset Black Knight
    Hero

Removing the RNG of damage variation and forcing all damage sources to be the lowest roll 100% of the time would be good enough rather than individually going through all damage sources and taking them down by 7%.

7. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Whatever it would take, I just assume that there is a genreal modifier since they reduced all damage by 7% at the end of beta.

#7 RootedOak, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  8. bLankszor

bLankszor Ghost
    Hero

Some good ideas however these changes like nerfing haste's and damage will impact PvE dramatically and could make it even more monotonous.. I think lowering damage to start is a good way to go about it, possibly decrease the duration of haste's by 50% or 75% so that it is more of a "in the moment of combat" buff. You have to stop dps/healing to put a haste on a friendly rather than it be a cross buff prior to engaging because it will wear off quickly.

9. Truedon

Truedon Spellgazer

If thats what you want buddy something needs to be done about Mana and Stamina as long fights are fucking boring once you both have 0 stats constantly transferring throwing 1 spell at a time in between loads of transfers makes fights so boring. Stam bug back in the day actually made fights fun.

The Red King, kilrath81 and bLankszor like this.
  10. Kilset

Kilset Black Knight
    Hero

no something definitely isn't right about stam still. I never had stam issues in beta, they definitely messed something up with food.

Orak, Korag, RootedOak and 3 others like this.
  11. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

We'll be discussing all of this over some discussion threads, but one of the changes I'm working on will bring item stats to a constant amount per type. This accomplishes a couple things. It allows us to stack all items and allows us to create differences between basic and when we make new Artisan specs we can increase without making Artisan items over powered.

I have also reduced the variance in damage being dealt to less that one full point per hit. With these two changes damage will be more steady across the board and we can adjust much easier.

Wes Furtive, DarkGhost25 and Orak like this.
  12. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

just remove other buffings (because its surely dumb) and nerf melee damage a lit.

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  13. Down Syndrome

Down Syndrome Fire Elemental
    Legend

I'd rather see it go the other way increase health stam and mana by about 10-20% and leave damage the same. 7% reduction is like 3 damage per hit. 500 to 550 max stats would be better imo.

14. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

make stats working with specializations.

why a mage needs 120 str?
    why a melee archer needs 120 also?

15. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

the Zerg problem is not really a problem since we don't have any at the moment and even if we did that isn't a problem as it speaks to the game being healthy. I will always be ok with zergs existing so long as we have several at a time

16. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

Haste and rapid shot and ironskin are screwing up the game on a grand scale. They need to be removed.

gosti, billysunday and NonFactor like this.
  17. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

That was because they increased damage by that much (on average, some more some less) in beta and just didn't tell anyone kind of like the whole r70 reach fiasco. It was a 'Dest easter egg' that I hope are a thing of the past for the sake of the game and BPG's reputation. Hidden changes often end up being controversial sources of 'dev favoritism'. Its so much better to just have it all out there in the open to avoid that.

I would prefer they just remove damage variation. I feel like it has no place in DFO/RoA. It clouds and muddies things and adds an element of RNG to combat that we don't really want or need. New players get confused when they cast a spell with a black bolt and hit for X damage then use a heavier staff and hit for less damage because of the variation just being 'unlucky' in those few cast. Its especially cloudy with transfers for some reason. Its way easier to get balance right when you know exactly what something does as well, as opposed to a range of damage.

I would also be fine with them removing melee haste, arrow ward, iron skin and archery haste if they replaced them with a combination spell that does all of them but at reduced magnitude, like 50% strength. Buff others should still be a thing, just not as tedious or a big a thing. All buffs and buff others should be condensed into like 4 cast at most. The whole 25 buffs before combat thing is really unnecessary, but the game is pretty well balanced once they are all up (at least the self buffs). Its just a time saver/streamline the pre-combat phase kind of deal.

#17 Scrubby Bear, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  18. EarthMother

EarthMother Earth Elemental
    Supporter

Ttk isn't as much of an issue as ridiculous amounts of cc, coupled with several Insta cast rays to spam on Cc opponents.

Still shocked people complained about cc in.uw after playing this lol.

theimmigration likes this.
  19. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

I'm pretty sure there's absolutely nothing wrong with the TTK in this game.

Sounds like someone got stickybacked by a better player and wants to nerf melee/archery cause butthurt.

20. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

@MikeJT Lol. Have you ever fought someone like me or Arrow? Fights don't last longer than 15 seconds in most cases. There's definitely a TTK problem, but it's only apparent at the upper echelon and further displays the chasm between new players and vets.

I'd say it's further exacerbated when there's a gear disparity or when one person was buffed by a human and their opponent wasn't.

My brain is literally going everywhere with this because I can branch off in 15 directions on this topic....

No diminishing returns on field aoes... another retarded fucking thing in this game.

#20 Animal, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    RootedOak likes this.