Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Just a few ideas

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by ArrowExpert, Jul 28, 2017.

1. ArrowExpert

ArrowExpert Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

If I could suggest a few thing's that would not take a lot of man power but would help the game drastically it would be...

Remove rare ore completely from city mines, Doing this would not give everything they need right inside their walls bringing a major importance to the location of the holding's to get what you need. You could also only allow cities to give only one major resource node rather than all or the majority of.

Increase drop rate, lower durability on crafted items significantly. Increase durability loss. The idea behind this would be obtaining the gear would be easy but having the consistent need to go out and farm because of how fast it breaks. This would increase both player interaction and player conflict which is the foundation of an MMO.

Decrease 2h weapon reach drastically. No one in this game should EVER die within 8 second's if they have an almost complete character. This can be your first step at lowering the skill ceiling.

Make both the bindstone and siege stones go live at the same time

Make it to where if asset damage is consistently done to a city without a cool down of 10 min(open variable) for 1 hour (open variable) this would cause a sudden death siege that would go live in another 2 hours (open variable) This could bring a level of importance to defending your city from asset. And cause daily large scale pvp.

Make only a certain amount of VCP's actually go live giving important significance of your location on the map and what holding's you own. Example could be 1 vcp from each region of the map. Ork lands, Human lands etc, 1 on each sub continent as well.

Multiple house bind's
    Increase runestone drop rate
    Attacking a mount stop's it from sprinting
    Increase range of heal spells including heal mount
    Death bar should auto revive not auto kill

New character's should start with all conversions and healing spellss with an option to pick 2-3 spells no matter what the level from any magic school to use to level their school.

12204, Biceps, Skelly and 3 others like this.
  2. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

I like a lot of these ideas, a bit too busy atm to go over each one but I like the general train of thought. I will say one thing though: While I agree with the philosophy of gear breaking faster I can say that it was frustrating in UW, I had to change into a new set of armor after every farming trip, very tedious stuff. It would help the economy for sure but I'm not sure how fun it is. That said, armor does last a long time in RoA, and too little time in UW, perhaps somewhere in the middle is ideal. As for weapons I generally have no opinion.

Circa likes this.
  3. miasMa

miasMa Varangian Warthane
    Benefactor Legend

That allows you to stickyback (even more ping based) and no one else?

4. Lordpete

Lordpete Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

I got jumped by 3 reds, one bunny hop stormblasted past my mount sprinting from a fair distance, nerfing mounts would be a big mistake even if it pleases vets.
    Some sort of rob ability might help where u can give bag contents but keep armor and rez for less alignment hit.
    Alignment is still a mess imo and i still think a timer based system would be better.
    Mobs are spastics, if they are going to run away all the time at least make them slower than the player.

5. nightblighter

nightblighter Akathar
    Patron

One of the hard things about designing for this game is how different player opinions are. I think the change to rare ore mines was 100% the wrong decision. From the perspective of a casual player who joined a casual guild when the game launched (uXa), rare ore mines help give holdings meaning and make them worth fighting over. This game totally lacks any impetus for guild vs guild scale conflict currently because sieges are the only outlet for it, but holdings are worth jack shit. Before DFO launched and anyone knew what the combat was really like, the promise of that scale of conflict was what drew me to Darkfall. I still hold out for one of the two reboots living up to that promise.

I appreciate that you like the small scale and want to fight over valuable mob spawns on a day to day basis. I think that scale is necessary to keep a small (but hopefully growing one day) population active. I hope they continue to shift some of the rare ore golems to conflict prone spots to give you what you want. I also hope they imbue holdings with more meaning so there is the kind of guild vs guild (or really zerg vs zerg most of the time) scale that I like. I see reverting the rare ore change as an easy way to add that meaning to some of the holdings.

6. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

"Decrease 2h weapon reach drastically. No one in this game should EVER die within 8 second's if they have an almost complete character. This can be your first step at lowering the skill ceiling."

Not sure if all ideas are Franchise's, but i know this one for a fact is his. Not to mention a while ago he had another post saying something along the lines of "nobody ever likes the ideas only because im the one posting them. I bet if someone else posted them, they would get a ton of likes". Coupled with the fact that arrow never bothers to really post suggestions, i'm going to guess most, if not all, are his lol.

7. ArrowExpert

ArrowExpert Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

I'm confused on who you are? Why don't you think before you comment. All you ever hear is that mele is too strong 15 ping is the best blah blah blah. Take a look at all the videos, all you see is mele. You never see someone only use magic or a bow. The meta needs a change.

Slayven and Circa like this.
  8. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

So suggest for them to tone down damage a bit on higher tiered melee weapons. People are still going to blind and push melee none stop even with a lower range, the point is you want them to be hitting for less in melee when they are connecting.

9. breakqop

breakqop Crypt Guard

i think they should start with cutting the melee arc in half and removing or reworking whirlwind... then we can play with the reach, if needed

Circa and Scrapnotcrap like this.
  10. Franchise

Franchise Fire Elemental
    Supporter

While cutting the melee arc would nerf many player's it would not fix the root problem. Watch Arrow's videos and Bunny's streams. When the swing finalizes they are center of body mass so cutting the arc in half would not nerf them. It would just make 80% of the population who ping crunch but don't have precision not as good. You have to directly nerf the best player's and what makes them the best if you want to lower the skill ceiling. Player's who have insane aim like arrow won't be affected by the arc nerf, only nerfing the range of the weapon will.

You have the best player in the game asking to nerf what make's him the best because he know's it need's nerf'd. How is this hard to grasp...

11. Kilset

Kilset Black Knight
    Hero

Melee reach was increased in ROA. It needs a revert back to what we originally had with human male being the standard.

Decrease melee damage very slightly by bringing down the average dmg of melee weapons in general, completely remove damage variation RNG and make all damage the lowest roll 100% of the time, this would apply to magic and archery as well. This alone would increase TTK, which is what we want. Making everything the lowest roll would be about -3/4 damage across the board.

Decreasing total reach length will also decrease the arch so you will really need to have your cross hair on people.

One of the first things I noticed when I was testing mirdain mahirim and so on during beta was that I got many side arch hits I would of never hit in DFO, even human male has a lot of bs side arch hits.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Circa and Franchise like this.
  12. breakqop

breakqop Crypt Guard

why in the world would you want to lower the skill ceiling? it could and should be much higher.

here's some more changes i'd like to see to combat:
    r90 splash damage should be nerfed
    field AoE's, knockups, and blinds should have diminishing effects when stacked or chained
    insta cast, insta travel rays are silly, not sure what to do with them... maybe a very small cast time

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  13. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Why decrease melee reach? Why not just lower dps be lowering damage or swing speed? Nerf haste magntitudes would also help big time.

Myater, Circa, Fengor and 2 others like this.
  14. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

I believe the reduction of 2h weapon reach stems from: whenever a fight is engaged in melee, the first person to pull out usually eats it in the back.

The problem with reducing 2h weapon reach, is that it severely hinders high pingers, and destros...

Might need to look at another alternative.

Circa, Grimtide and DarkGhost25 like this.
  15. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

Good post. I do think that a big part of the problem is instant rays though, back in the day you had a much greater chance of disengaging.

16. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Rays definitely help keep pressure for the attacking force, Not sure what could be done to them without gimping mages though, as they are probably the second most valuable tool next to blinds in the mages arsenal.
    --- Post updated ---
    Please no? Why should quality group play be punished? Especially when this is largely against combating zergs.

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  17. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

Personally I feel that rays are too strong because when you get the advantage your chance to win is very high. Most of the time these days when someone gets low they just die. Back in the day it was a lot harder to drop an elite player, I've seen 1v8 fights in a small area in which the solo guy would take everyone down, the TTK was much lower and I think that was more fun. There was also a lot less bunnyhopping because people knew they could mount a comeback. And if instant rays are changed then mages can still be buffed somewhere else :)

18. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

peoples characters on average were much, much, worse back then, were they not? 1v8 is still possible by stringing people out but good luck doing that against even 2 of the 8 with wof and eyerot and haste. 1v8, while sounding great for the one dude who just killed 8 people is insanely demoralizing for the 8. That shit doesn't happen unless there is a character and gear discrepency in a straight up fight. Only by bhopping and stringing out people could you pull that off vs equally leveled characters.

2v8 tho is def do-able.

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  19. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

That's very true, good points all around. I am just getting tired of bunnyhopping, more specifically, chasing people all over the place. When people get to around half I start moving in to block their escape or come hither them or whatever the situation calls for, then I get a lame kill. I'd rather combat be more bloodthirsty, even if I get zerged down more. I also think it sucks that destroyers are bad for chasing due to encumbrance and lack of stormblast, it's soooo much easier to catch people when you get magic and low encumbrance.

20. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

legolas mode when they hop esp if u got jumpshot on ur bow or hit them with a dot as they run away. its hard to balance for 1v1s without making zergs OP.

DarkGhost25 likes this.