Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

"Killing Noobs Is Part Of The Game"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marxman, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Marxman

Marxman Obsidian Golem
    Loyal

(There is a TLDR on the last paragraph)
    But so is protecting them...Every time there is an issue with vets slaughtering noobs all I ever hear is "it's darkfall, so what." This is what I expect to hear from most people, but I hear this from just about everyone even the people I thought would be better on this issue. I think people got too comfortable seeing a large population thinking it will stay that way so they can be as toxic as they want and it won't make a dent in population. I hope I don't need to point out the obvious flaw in this logic.

The way I see it is the vast majority of people are going to kill noobs whenever they see them because noobs are fat little meat sacs with regs/gold/mats and are free kills with zero risk, perfect for a short sighted greedy community like this. However, I thought there were also some groups of people who aren't this short sighted and greedy and would be willing to protect noobs or at the very least not murder them EVERY time they see them, so I joined with one of those groups I thought would fit into this category but every indicator I've gotten so far has been that there are no "groups" willing to protect noobs other than actual nooby clans but they are simply protecting themselves and are not strong enough to do so without creating a massive noob zerg.

If they were to try and defend themselves in the only way they can, a zerg, everyone would bitch and moan about dying to a zerg because of how unfair zergs are which is fucking hilarious, it's OK for vets to slaughter noobs despite how unfair it is, but it's not OK to zetg someone down because it's not fair? Unfair fights for vets is a problem and almost all of you cry about it, but why isn't unfair fights for noobs a issue also? It all comes down to selfishness, in your short sighted mind noobs dying to vets non stop is not an issue at all because in the short term that doesn't effect you so why would you care? But zergs do affect you, so all the sudden you care about fairness and honor when it effects you? Too fucking funny.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying NOBODY should EVER kill noobs, I'm simply saying for example if 10 elite dune rats stumble upon a couple noobs throw then a haste and a heal rather than a WoF and a toxic. It's not like if you don't kill the noob no one else will and it will make the game too carebear for noobs and they won't have fun/learn what darkfall is all about,, there will still be a massive amount of people who will try to kill that noob, trust me.

We need more people like Lord Zanuul, when I was a noob Jet Boom used to fly around the sky, kill me, and trash all my gear every single day, the ONLY person who ever protected me was Lord Zanuul, even with hacks Zanuul would shit on Jet Boom but as a noob I simply could not defend myself and was playing in mid 2011 so I was already very far behind the grind, being griefed by vets only made the grind that much longer and more annoying. Grinding is boring, let the noobs grind up a bit before you hold their face into the ground.

TLDR, if you are upset with being zerged down because it's unfair and not fun but you are not at all upset with noobs dying to vets and having no one to protect them then you are a dumb selfish bastard. You cant cry about zergs being unfair and unhonorable then turn around and tell noobs "it's part of the game, get over it. Welcome to Darkfall." Without looking like the hypocritical selfish douchebags you are.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 Marxman, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Sero, Byzantinian, Mids and 10 others like this.
  2. MerleisAirdburne

MerleisAirdburne Black Knight
    Supporter

I res newbies when I kill them all the time, I don't think a lot of people do that though

WyLd_SyDe, Sameog and Marxman like this.
  3. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Im one of the few blue "vets" that I have come across.

It is pathetic that people care so little on preserving the noob population. Even if they are the aggresor I rez them up and say "nice try" as a morale booster.

#3 SenseiSpades, Jul 17, 2017
  4. shibb

shibb Goblin Warrior

Sadly its the beast of the game. Theres no reason ever to not kill the person you see.

Group pve is awful in every way, its pointless and taxing doing anything other than a duo unless your looking for safety but how much safer are you really.

You can pm any player when you see them. Asking if they are friendly etc and they will instantly turn on you because why not. Quick regs.
    I personally run a newb clan and have people who know that we are a active newb pop and camp/hit us every few hours just to get those studded/mounts/regs with their q4 keened r60s. Sadly i cant be on at all times, and im a no name vet to begin with.
    Get jumped by the "top dog" duelers and then get slandered when noteing that they are kill ganking 2 day old players in banded and proceed to get flamed git good shit tier.

foolofatom and kilrath81 like this.
  5. Marxman

Marxman Obsidian Golem
    Loyal

Yeah that's another excuse I hear a lot, "well I saw them cross buff" or " they attacked us first" but when they don't do that they say "we would have rezed if you fought us, we would have had more respect for you" type of bullshit, and I have a screenshot of Jonah Veil saying exactly this after zerging down a noob I was trying to help out. So, either way they have an excuse ready no matter what happens, if you fight back than they are just "defending themselves" and say they are justified in killing you, if you don't fight back they say they kill you because they don't respect people who don't fight back...obviously it's just semantics and they are full of shit using any shoddy justification they can find.

And btw, when Dune Rats killed my noob buddy 10v1, I killed Jonah Veil 1v10 and almost ganked him xD I have him admitting it in a screenshot but I'm on my phone atm
    --- Post updated ---
    I realize it's the nature of the game, like I said in my very first sentence, yes killing noobs part of the game but vets protecting noobs should ALSO be part of the game, sadly for the most part it's not.

6. shibb

shibb Goblin Warrior

Best example. Zag siege when the vet "mercs" bandwagoned against 8 newbs. I dont ever see this ever happening with the core mechanics around this game.

7. Teclis

Teclis Undead Dwarf
    Supporter

Yeah true it is

8. shibb

shibb Goblin Warrior

Its the same guys that are screaming "games ded" but wont even option to recruit/coach non vets

9. WizardKing

WizardKing Dire Zombie
    Benefactor Tester

No one read this.

10. Mea Kulpa

Mea Kulpa Wildtribe Mage

Why? I read it. I would think everyone should read it. Obviously they wont, there are no memes involved, but he did sum it up nicely at the end with his tldr.

Is the community scared of the truth in his opinion? I don't get why people should not read it.

M ~

Dixie Normus and Marxman like this.
  11. Obeesho

Obeesho Black Knight
    Prosperous Affluent Legend

I hope lots of people don't always kill noobs just because they can.

I know epik wang wouldn't.

Little witch wouldn't.

I wouldn't.

Lots of people I know wouldn't, though occasionally I (and otherwise nice people I know) do get bloodthirsty and do bad things.

I have always felt that there is a subtle math that goes into the kill/don't kill equation.

I do feel that alignment can dumb down that process. Ie red=dead isn't good math.

Kwatos and Inositol like this.
  12. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Killing a random noob you come across in your travels = okay.

Constantly rolling around new player areas looking for noobs to gank = not okay.

As someone who had a maxed out toon in DFO I know how easy it is to kill a fresh spawn. I know how easy it is to kill the average casual player who's been playing for 3 months. I know how easy it is to kill the average casual player who's been playing for A YEAR.

Going out of your way to kill noobs just makes you a griefer and a troll. You are bad. You are cancer.

People like Dremlock StraightRocked from Goblin Preservation Society, Jet Boom and the like never could achieve anything in actual PvP, so they stayed blue and stayed in NPC cities, and frequently dropped clan to blue block for each other, and avoided all PvP with anyone half decent.

So glad they changed the War dec mechanics to actually stop just random war-deccing for the sake of ganking in noob areas.

In many ways Darkfall feels like a mob shake down to a lot of players, myself included because I made the "noob" mistake of not grinding the shit out of my character on launch.

"Ahh I see you're trying to play Darkfall. GIVE US ALL YOUR MONEY! Your'e not playing Darkfall unless you pay your dues. You've gotta earn it."

So once you've worked your way up to a point where you can actually compete, you've already donated probably 500,000 gp worth of gear, reagents, resources and skinning mats to the veteran community, who complain the game is dead and quit anyway.

Good work.

Dixie Normus, Ledwulf and Marxman like this.
  13. Dunk Slammington

Dunk Slammington Goblin Warlord

Fuck noobs like me. Moment I finished dying 16 times to fucking dwarves in wolf dungeons, I moved to niff, got better gear, and hunted naked miners.

Killa162 likes this.
  14. HeganHatsumo

HeganHatsumo Chosen of Khamset

the real problem is it doesn't matter either way, new players are no competition today nor will they stick around long enough to be competition in the future (more than likely). The real problem is this game takes wayyyy to long to learn and become end game viable, why would any new player want to spend months wasting their time to get competitive pvp from 10 players?

Mids likes this.
  15. Marxman

Marxman Obsidian Golem
    Loyal

Normally this would make sense but now there arent (m)any "new player areas" where people actually farm, almost everyone even noobs are at least on medium mobs because of how quick the grind is, especially the grind with lower level mobs because of the scaling so its easy to get out of there within the first week or two. Noobs can kill iklits fairly easy now, and yes they need the meditation just as bad if not more than everyone else does. Vets think they have a right to the iklit dungeon and that noobs should never go unless they want to die, but what they are really saying is "Getting my stats up from 95 to 100 is more important than you getting your stats from 50 to 75" (which is hilarious and sad at the same time), the noobs have every right to be in the dungeon and should not be shitstomped by EVERY single clan in the game.

Like I said in the OP, the vast majority of people are going to kill them on sight every single time, but there should at least be some people every once in a while who actually help them...gee what a weird idea huh? Helping people outside of your tribe is a very alien concept here, but if you want to help new players for selfish reasons than do it for selfish reasons, like to help server population or recruiting a new member you can train up.

The quicker these noobs can finish the boring ass grind and get pvp viable the quicker they can start focusing on dueling all the time and actually get decent at the game. You can get decent at the game much faster if you can spend your time dueling rather than constantly grinding and getting shitstomped everyday by long time vets. We have all been in the situation where instead of dueling like we want to we go out and grind instead because you feel your character is too far behind all the others...Well obviously if noobs can get through the grind a bit quicker they can start focusing on dueling, and yes the grind is much shorter than it used to be but that also means that people are already maxed while people are just starting, so yes the grind is short but there is a pretty massive gap between new and maxed so you cant really pvp at all until you get to just about everything to 75. They cant duel very often until they do this because they will keep falling farther and farther behind everyone else, so they stay noobs much longer than they have to.

#15 Marxman, Jul 17, 2017
    Sameog and Ledwulf like this.
  16. SashaG

SashaG Dire Zombie
    Supporter

Most people in my clan will res noobs or just leave them alone altogether. I've even stopped at noob spawns to buff them, but I'm red (alignment system is dumb) so they usually run away screaming.

HaldirHardy, MikeJT and Marxman like this.
  17. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

That's really not a problem with the game - it's an attitude problem.

It's a "minimum effort, maximum gain" attitude.

So many vets to this game (not vets in general, I'm a vet of Darkfall too, but my opinion isn't valid because I don't contribute to the vet echo chamber), will come to forums and complain that 'gear is too hard to get', or that 'the need to reduce the crafting costs of X', because they don't want to actually have to go out into the world and PvE to obtain an advantage in the game.

They want easy stat/skill gains, using relatively low end mobs, so they can gain every advantage they can get.

You literally need to up the loot on spawns to INSANE levels to entice them away from "minimum effort, maximum gain."
    --- Post updated ---
    Reducing the grind isn't going to save the game.

It's all a rush to be the same as everyone else. Unless they actually give more viable legitimate options to playing the game, it'll still tank because not everyone wants to be a WoF, eye-rot, exploding charge, dragonbreath, impale, unholy caress, inferno, yadda, yadda yadda. Everyone plays the same and every does the same thing there's only really one valid playstyle. Unfortunately this doesn't appeal to many people.

Imagine the guy who's been playing MMO's his entire life and he's always played a fighter. Now you introduce him to this new MMO and say: "Oh you really can't be a fighter, unless you run around in a 50,000 gp gear bag all day".

Kwatos likes this.
  18. Ledwulf

Ledwulf Deadeye
    Supporter

1.Aligment should prevent vets from mindless killing of noobs. No one of these vets don't want to even heard about it because it's too profitable for them in doing so.

2.Magic schools should have a much faster gains and stats should be frontloaded much more so all these noobs have at least a slight chance to fight back. Yet again no one of vets want to even heard about that because they just don't want any opposition. Easy kills, free loot then cry games dead. GG

It's a loophole and something has to be done about this for the sake of the game.

Marxman likes this.
  19. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Frontloading stats any further would make Witchcraft stat debuffs completely worthless against high level oppoonents.

I think that simply reducing the stat grind would be better. Someone who's levelled Sharpshooter and a Mastery to 50 should have about 75 quickness. Right now it's about 50.

20. Ledwulf

Ledwulf Deadeye
    Supporter

Well they can change debuffs accordingly to frontloading. I just don't see a reason why is most fun in a game hidden behind huge character grind if we are supposed to have a gear grind now. Would not be that bad if new characters wouldn't been absolute trash compared to thouse being done with the grind.

Marxman likes this.