Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

"Killing Noobs Is Part Of The Game"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marxman, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

while thats true ofc it is more about a psycholigical thing. a new player is more likely to go out and pvp and try to compete when he knows that the gear he has to use to be equal to a vet(atleast gearwise) doesnt cost him hours of farming. ill use abit of an exaggeration to make my point more clear. when you farm 1 hour to make 10 bags so you can go out and die 10 times its much more likely you would go out to actively pvp than if you have to farm 10 hours to make 1 gear bag.

also true to some extend and i have thought about that too but you have to keep in mind that beeing a vet doesnt automatically make you a sick pvper. for the very top of the food chain your statement is correct but mastery weapons would still be alot less common than they are now. this is however the fundamental flaw of every game that features full loot and the only way to get around that is to make all gear worthless. (see UO or UW) however its pretty meh to have full loot when the most valuable thing you can loot is regs so its basically a fix that creates new problems.

2. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Fire Elemental
    Legend

Personally I have no problems killing newbs, but don't go out of my way to do it, and if they look like they won't have anything on them I revive them and move on. I am still blue from abstaining.

I also have no problem with people killing newbs, it IS part of the game. The whole argument that we shouldn't kill newbs because they will quit is dumb. If they are going to quit after being killed and looted in a full loot hardcore pvp game they weren't going to last no matter what. When I first started playing Darkfall I was killed by vets all the time, nobody ever revived me, and I didn't quit. This is not a game that caters to soft carebears and it never will be, no matter how much you hold their hand and help them they will eventually quit if all it takes is a few deaths.

Brown Dorf likes this.
  3. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Oh and one thing I didn't touch on, is that you need to get out more and check the golems, because they are def not camped like you think, I spent a good hour plus killing sele golem in alfar lands last night and did not see a single person. The leenspar on ruby I have soloed many times where I did not see a single person, you might wanna think about getting our more often rather than sitting in your city and making these bold
    You really need to get out more, tons of mobs drop r50 swords and bows, also I kill a lot of people and mostly loot r40 mob dropped bows over any of the others. Your theory crafting and either do not play at all or play very little and sit around making assumptions.
    --- Post updated ---
    UO gear wasn't worthless lol did you play it? They had high level gear and people killed for it on a constant basis and like what has already been said I have the time to use r50s if they had their cost multiplied by 10 and I would because I like using them. your entire argument is flawed and I have already stated why but you absolutely refuse to see it any other way.

4. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

I dont think noobs getting killed by vets by itself is the problem, its that there is so little promoting noob v noob pvp that the only pvp noobs get is vets killing them, but if they had scrub fights too, some they win, then the dying wouldnt feel so bad, but if all you do is die to wtfpwnedu vets, thats no fun.

#44 Mycke, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Brown Dorf, Khazgol, Slayven and 2 others like this.
  5. Kurise LXV

Kurise LXV Deadeye

I think the second "fight" i was in, was Really Good and some other person mass buffing then storming Spear Waters to kill myself and 2 other new players.

After killing us with ease, he said something like (not exaggerating) " you guys are faggots with cum in your mouths, you dont deserve a holding"

And the sad thing is, this probably happened a lot with them and vets that are just as toxic. Anyone who played Darkfall knows there are enough of these toxic players floating around to ruin the game.

Marxman and Mycke like this.
  6. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

Thats why catering to an emotionally unstable player base was the big mistake in the first palce

Kwatos likes this.
  7. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

when i played UO not a single pvper played anything else but a mage. robe, regs was all that was needed. yes there was expensive items and roleplayers may have used them on trammel but in the real game every single player was a mage with 0 value gear. also im aware that its not hard to get mob dropped r50s but they are quite abit worse than crafted ones. nevertheless i stated in my initial post that those need to be removed or nerfed even more.

it doesnt matter how much you or me or any other old player kill. we are not relevant in the slightest bit regarding the topic. it is very simple if a new player has to spend more time to farm a gear bag than he is out pvping in it he will not stay, plain and simple. so assuming a new player will die within 30 mins of pvp most of the time then the gear bag cant be worth more than 30 mins of farming time. otherwise he will not stay. obviously the ratio is way different for a vet as he will die less and kill more and generally loot more bags than he loses. thats why the entry level bag cant be worth ANYTHING if you want new players to stay and learn the game. currently thats not the case because the melee weapon alone is worth more than 30 mins of a newbs farming time.

mrW likes this.
  8. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Thus perpetuating the cycle

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  9. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

UO gear wasn't worthless lol did you play it? They had high level gear and people killed for it on a constant basis and like what has alrwady been said I have the time to use r50s if they had their cost multiplied by 10 and I would because I like using them. your entire ar
    Those kind of players are the minority
    --- Post updated ---
    Again you are wrong, I have multiple mob dropped r50's that are equivalent too and some that are superior to crafted. Immaculate is better than crafted, have an .86 bow with 58 dura, and an .85 with 65 dura and it has .52 speed making. The others are of different levels but all of them useful,

I also played uo from 97 to df1 release (off n on) and yes their were a few times were armor wasn't important but going way back Vanq weapons were the shit and silver weapons and they were valuable drops from mobs not super hard to get but they were "rare" why did they call them rare? because they were not as common as a regular weapon not because they were "super fucking expensive"
    --- Post updated ---
    I have some very good insight as I run a new player clan and have helped dozens of new players with the game and guess what they all know how to get gear without too much trouble, ya coming in to the game it is hard to find your way, it takes some time and the only thing different from any other mmo is that here you can be hunted and killed pretty much anywhere, but with a little guidance it isn't so bad.

10. Kurise LXV

Kurise LXV Deadeye

There is only 1 Jet Boom.

During the DFUW free trial, this guy was going ham on new players. The only thing to get him to stop that I saw, was when I called him out and stomped his ass in a duel in front of Chicken. Pretty sure he was embarrassed and quit for a few hours, but he basically spent the entire trial time targeting new players.

The population in Darkfall is at a stage where a small handful of individuals can have a significant impact on the game. AV made great strides in improving the new player experience with DFUW. Obviously it wasn't close to enough, but something simple like a Safe Zone goes a long way.

But, we have to cater to the 100 die hard Darkfall players who need to be able to gank unsuspecting players in a "safe" area.

Kwatos and Korag like this.
  11. Dunk Slammington

Dunk Slammington Goblin Warlord

FUCK ALL NOOBS

Brb suicide

Kwatos likes this.
  12. Down Syndrome

Down Syndrome Fire Elemental
    Legend

Fuck that, zerg away. Fuck the people that cry zerg who cares, take their pixels or make them run off. Don't give up your pixels because they'll cry about it. I used to somewhat care about 'fair' fights, not anymore. If you can't 1v1 bring 2 if you can't 2v1 bring 3, if you can't 2v2 bring 5. Eventually it'll escalate and they'll bring more players but your noobs will have more fun fighting as 40 vs 10 than 10 vs 10 anyways.

Kwatos, Marxman, MikeJT and 1 other person like this.
  13. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

The thing is Darkfall is a hardcore game, people get shit on everyday and that is just how it is.

Hyper competitive.

If you want to get good at the game you have to do two things, practice strong key bindings, and grind your character.

As soon as someone disrespects the game bindings, they are fucked and I want nothing to do with them.

I'm a rare blue Vet, I would rather chase a rabbit in game then hunt a miner.
    I only try to PvP when I have calculated the odds of winning a fight are greater then 80% so I very rarely PvP without 10+ Allies.

Sucks being a New Character with no clue, but getting your shit pushed in is a test of character, most people will rage quite, but Darkfall Purest are just happy when someone wants to play with them because once we have a built character and mad respect for the bindings, and a known name everyone just runs away from you like your a disease.

Kwatos likes this.
  14. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

it isnt necessarily the time you killed that noob. Its the times after when he went out 7 times to get his goblin/kobold/troll tasks and some gold and got killed all 7 times. That is when it becomes an issue. Since you personally dont know how many times today that new player has been killed you may in fact be the straw that broke the camels back.

Marxman and MikeJT like this.
  15. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Fire Elemental
    Legend

That's the way the cookie crumbles in Darkfall. When I started in DFO I was hunted around the clock at goblin spawns and troll spawns, and it forced me to learn quick. I didn't quit after the 7th gank in one day, I adapted and learned how to lure reds into outpost guard towers or get away better on mounts. The first time I killed a red vet trying to jump me by using guard towers was the day I was hooked. Yeah I lost a lot of cheese and lizards on sticks and cloth armor, but one kill on a vet got me a bluetail, full set of armor, r50 weapons, etc. Literally one kill made up for 100 deaths lootwise. There are obviously things that can be done to help newer players, but they also need to strap on a set and stop being so soft in a game like this.
    --- Post updated ---
    This is very true. There should definitely be more newb vs newb combat to get people used to it before facing off against vets. I think Beargrim said it best when he said the problem is the way the map is set up. There is so much traffic on mainland areas that these new players are running into vet players non-stop. A new player is closer to center map than he is to a corner of a subcontinent (probably the safest place ig).

Kwatos likes this.
  16. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

I agree with that, but not everyone is like us man. Too few people in this world have that mindset let alone that mindset for a game.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also I have no doubt that vets come across the path of noobs, but, to say that there isnt specific deliberate griefing or noob attacks I believe is pretty naive. I witness that personally happening almost on the daily.

#56 SenseiSpades, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Marxman and Mea Kulpa like this.
  17. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

I loved the danger of DFO EU launch and fondly remember scrambling back to tower range from akathos gob spawn when raider ran through, often with less than 200 gold in total value and often not making it, but I love really hard and harsh games, most people don't.

Thats why I suggested this:

https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.c...oa-accessible-to-a-broader-player-base.12878/

18. Daenerys

Daenerys Goblin Scout
    Legend

Also, It's hard to play this game as a girl, too hardcore for sure. I do enjoy the harvesting part of it but just need to find a clan that are cool with and accept the play style. ❤️ My BW fwends. Cool af for sure.

19. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

So you think that today's gamer is going to log in. Play the game with his 24 hour timer th8nking the game is a decent place to play in then lose his timer and get rofl stomp face rolled 7 times in a short amount of time and then log in the next day? No, 90+% wont. Then out of the 10% we will lose 9 percent likely to boredom and lack of proper support. So if yo are lucky we might keep 1 out of every 100 players to try the game.

What I don't understand is this need some people seem to have to keep all areas of darkfall so "hardcore". What difference should it make to a vet if players can do limited activities in relative safety? The vets shouldn't be messing with them in the first place and the ones that are, aren't worth keeping in the game or are known to be too terrible to fight real fights.

EvE did it best. High sec is not 100% safe but for the majority of players they can live peacefully. They then can choose to venture into less forgiving territories. There is no reason other than being a scumling to go attack players doing these low reward activities. It might be a head in your bag and you will likely lie to your friends about how there was some epic fight you won but in the end you did it because you are an asshole and it was no different than killing an AI.

Marxman and Kwatos like this.
  20. semucat

semucat Goblin Scout
    Tester

As one of the non vets, I enjoy getting fucked by vets and when I bring 2, its unfair and they have to bring more in aswell, because you know, 2 noobs vs a veteran is a zerg, needs to be a 2v2. No wonder half our clan quit already, still waiting for that last straw myself.

SenseiSpades, Marxman, Kwatos and 3 others like this.