Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Latency reducers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Hello all!

We're looking at a partnership or at least a discount for latency reducing services. Basically there's several companies that provide programs and services that will create better routing and connection speeds for long distance users. They will usually both lower your ping and increase the stability of your connection to give you a smooth gaming experience.

We've researched a few of them which we'll narrow down once we have a full list. We'd like to give this opportunity though for our users to recommend any additional ones that we may have overlooked. We have the following 4 on our list so far:

Wtfast.com
    Battleping.com
    Pingzapper.com
    Smoothping.com

Please respond with any additional ones and in a week we'll narrow it down to a couple. We're going to work out any deal as best we can with one or more of these services for our players. This could be very beneficial for players that are in the 150+ ping range to play at a lower more stable ping.

Thanks for your time and responses guys!

-Andrew

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 Andrew, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  2. Leg enD

Leg enD Ghost

whats the latest ip for ping testing?

3. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Used battleping in DFO and DF:UW while for me it only saved a few MS it made my gameplay feel so much more responsive. I recommend these to any competitive PvPer

Clarence Swamptown and Fengor like this.
  4. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

This one here: 206.221.176.194

That's the hosts test IP for where the server will be hosted during Alpha. If things work out well we'll stay with them long term but we're testing them out for the first few months to ensure the servers are capable enough. Our response requirements are higher than most due to the nature of the game.

-Andrew

5. Fengor

Fengor Obsidian Golem

Agreed. Out of the 4 I only tried WTFast and battle ping but BP was more beneficial all around. Both lowered my ping but BP kept it stable

Clarence Swamptown likes this.
  6. Baraz

Baraz Skeleton Archer

Software that requests a payment per month or disconnect you every 20 min. in free trial. No thank you.

Carrot Soup likes this.
  7. Baraz

Baraz Skeleton Archer

I use the free version of XFast Lan. I am not sure it does the same thing as the services suggested above. I do not really notice a difference when using XFast Lan (have not done any testing as such; just do not see much difference when it is on/off).

8. Zoro

Zoro Spellgazer

Tested my ping. Average was 96. This is bullshit. West Coast players are going to have a significant disadvantage to East Coast players, although good players will always be good players regardless of 100 ping it doesn't change the fact that lower ping is an advantage. Will play nevertheless, but this actually is bullshit. Should at least go with Chicago in my opinion. I get 65 ping from west coast to league Chicago servers, and it would only be like +20 ping for EU, much better solution in my opinion.

Carrot Soup likes this.
  9. Ramon Wolfs

Ramon Wolfs Akathar

East European players will not be able to play with a semi decent ping if the server is in Chicago. I played a decent amount(I would say nearly 50% of my DF1 time) on the NA server and friends from those regions just couldn't get under 200 ping even with VPN solutions. East coast is the "fairest" option demographically, to accommodate both European and North American players to the best of our ability. And yes, people who live close to the server will always have an advantage.

#9 Ramon Wolfs, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  10. Wozno

Wozno Goblin Warlord
    Legend

sweden Average 100...

11. Zoro

Zoro Spellgazer

Let me tell your why that's bullshit. East Europeans are still going to average over 150 ping with an east coast server. In my opinion you are trying to accommodate a region that is outside your limitations and still failing.As a result you are also ruining the experience for people inside your region. This is no different than choosing a server location that better suits Australian ping because there are Australian DFO players.

#11 Zoro, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    Circa likes this.
  12. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

NA and EU are the targeted audience, and they both have the biggest groups of players playing. EU and West Coast players will have about the same ping. Did you cry about your ping being too low when the server was in Cali? Because I had about 130 ping back then.

13. Zoro

Zoro Spellgazer

I only played when the server was in Chicago. I also am not even sure what point you are trying to make. Seriously, not even trying to be a dick I just literally don't understand what correlation the information you presented has to the conversation from your point of view. To me it says "130 ping sure sucked dick, don't wanna do that again" .

14. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Why would any EU player want to play on a server where they're going to get insanely high ping? West coast players are giving up a little so that, EU players can play and enjoy as well, we can enjoy the population from NA and EU.

15. Zoro

Zoro Spellgazer

What I was originally trying to say is that the EU players are also gaining very little by this change, and as a result it is effecting a large part of NA players in a negative way.

16. solid

solid New Member
    Legend

We understand your concern and appreciate the feedback.
    Please continue to keep the conversation constructive, thank you.

17. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

The underwater routing is a direct route to NY, they're actually gaining quite a bit. You're losing just a little :)

[​IMG]

18. Zoro

Zoro Spellgazer

Do you actually know what the numerical difference for an EU east player to Chicago is versus NY? This concept of a direct route to NY drastically reducing ping is great, but as I said the EU east players probably still get shit ping to NY.

I also want to point out that the difference between 65 and 95 ping is in no way "just a little".

19. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

There are lots of numerical examples on the ping thread of many different areas and their pings. Do I know what their pings would be to Chicago? No, you'd have to ask them. Of course "EU East" players are going to have worse ping they are farther away, technology hasn't progressed enough to give everyone 20 ping anywhere in the world unfortunately, so BPG has made the decision to go with a central based server between NA and EU.

It sucks you happen to be geographically located a bit farther away, but it is what it is, no point in beating a dead horse anymore.

Your pings will roughly be the same (you and most EU players), where as in Chicago for them it'd probably be the difference between 100 and 150, sadly it's a necessary evil. I promise they didn't put it there just to screw you over. :p

20. Zoro

Zoro Spellgazer

Ok no actually there is a reason to "beat this dead horse" because it's going to have a huge effect on how much people enjoy the game.

Also there is actually no way eastern EU players are going to have 100 ping to NY, that's not realistic. If we're talking western EU it's going to be a difference of 100 vs 120, not 150 lol...

Definitely never meant to give the impression that the server location was chosen to "screw me over"

Once again 65 and 95 ping is not roughly the same, that's a pretty decent difference in an fps game, especially one where your melee reach seemingly increases as your ping goes down.

I'm well aware that there's no perfect location that can give 20 ping to anywhere in the world.

I think BPG actually needs to make the difficult decision to place the server in Chicago, because it is in fact the more logical choice, and I strongly urge anyone in a decision making position on this front to reconsider their options before it's too late.