Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Latency reducers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew, Jan 10, 2016.

1. foggen

foggen Goblin Warrior

I have played fps games since Quakeworld era. You can certainly tell the diffrence between 30 and 120 ping. I can even tell the diffrence between 10 and 20 ping in certain games. Some people are just more sensitive than others.

Claiming 150 ping is not an issue in a game like darkfall is just daft dumbness though.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Glass Cannon likes this.
  2. Kotic

Kotic Infernal
    Legend

The only major difference affected by ping in Darkfall was the ability to stickyback someone in melee or get stickybacked.

Since majority of the game was ranged magic though, anyone can adapt to the magic delay with higher ping. Still a slight disadvantage, but people made it work and still prove that they can beat players with lower ping.

3. Ultra Combo

Ultra Combo Spellgazer

I said it was not a problem for me and no you don't notice it. Because I did not notice a difference and my ping did not affect me in game play I'm an idiot? lol bro sit back and watch this video... NOTE THE PING POSTED AT THE BOTTOM CORNER. 150 ping is not a problem... 200 is.

Carrot Soup and Copperfield like this.
  4. foggen

foggen Goblin Warrior

I was talking about good top tier players though. Thanks anyways.

Finnad and MandatoryDDs like this.
  5. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

seriously? are you just looking for something to be offended or upset about? let them do what they need to do in order to get the game going. once the subs are paying enough for them to 'split' the servers to NA/EU if they can afford it, THEN they can do it. you should be happy to have the game back, but instead you're already complaining about ping? the game is not even in ALPHA yet.

I don't agree with some of the changes Andrew and his guys are wanting to make but for the sake of playing Darkfall i'm willing to give them a chance at working it out. Let them do what we hope that they do best. If the game goes live and you still feel that ping is an issue, complain then. Complaints about a game that doesn't even exist yet are one of the many reasons that people consider our community to be toxic. we cant be happy with anything. AV could have given us all a set of dragon armor and one of each weapon in game, and some schmo would have complained that he didn't get two sets of armor. I really think we need to give these guys a chance to do it right, and if they do not, THEN we give them hell.

Andrew and Ultra Combo like this.
  6. Ikaika Koa

Ikaika Koa Goblin Warlord
    Wealthy Legend Contributor

Complaining about 95 ping, or even 150 ping? What about us here in Hawaii? If my ping goes under 200, it's a miracle! Would I rather the server be in Chicago vs NY? Yes. I'd prefer it be on the west coast, or even better, in Hawaii. BPG is trying to make it as fair for the community as they can. Personally, I'll be playing DFO as soon as I'm allowed in, and I don't care what my ping is. I'm going to be happy just to be back in Agon.

7. Mortimer

Mortimer Deadeye

First fight against the alfar you missed around 8 hits due to ping, add to that switching weapons slower and sometimes getting stuck in an animation because of it. You being able to kill NAers with a shitty ping doesnt prove it's playable, it proves that they were bad enough not to be able to utilize such a huge advantage.

Stop comparing apples to oranges.

Finnad and foggen like this.
  8. Mega

Mega Air Elemental
    Legend

New York server for the love of Allah

9. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

I'm pretty sure that God, Jesus, and all other holy entities have nothing to do with darkfall or it's servers.. i'd readily say that they're probably morally against darkfall and it's servers. creating deviants and whatnot. the toxicity of the community can pretty much attest to that...

10. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

i did not notice any ping spikes that caused misses, i did however see some video glitches where his card dropped framerate, which could explain the misses more likely than ping. also, please note that the guys he was fighting, were bunny hopping just as well if not better than he was, thus, they were either scripting like vets, or, they were at least mid range to high range ability players. if you recall in order to bunny hop like that you need a script or near perfect timing. not to mention they were landing quite a few hits, so defnitely not noobs, not vets for sure, but not noobs. give the guy some credit.

i'd also like to point out that i played on the EU server (as did many of us) and never once felt as if my ping was negatively effecting my game play (i suck at pvp regardless of my ping) My 3 career 1v1 kills were hard earned (after jumping off a cliff and being smart enough to heal on the way down while the other guy didnt). yes, ping has some effect on gameplay, no, 150 ping will not be 'unplayable'. I played with 120 to 200 ping on a regular basis, i didnt lose because of my ping, i lost because i suck at pvp. unless your ping spikes to 500 - 1000 theres really no excuse. we are after all talking about less than one second of delay, any player who deals with that ping on a regular basis learns how to play with it and can still be competitive, adapt and overcome.

11. Mortimer

Mortimer Deadeye

Ehh. I'm glad you have strong opinions but it doesn't make them more credible. You missed the point entirely while saying in your dfo career you won 3x 1vs1's. If you were never very good at the game and don't know it's intricacies then don't take part in discussions that are above your head.

Don't misunderstand, I have nothing against newbies I often revived them after killing them instead of looting because I felt remorse and guilt for possibly uprooting a new sapling when we really needed new players to stay and grow. I wouldn't mind teaching you a few things about the game but you do need to change your attitude - some people just know more then you do.

As to my previous message - it is clear his lead on his targets and the way he fights is like he still has 40-50 ping. The hits I said he missed, would hit if he had a 100 ping less. The reason he is aiming like that is most likely because he's not used to leading his shots more, possibly wasnt too long on NA at that point. Has nothing to do with ping spikes or graphical glitches.

Plus if this was a 50 ping instead of 150 I can guarantee you he would have been able to stickyback the alfar faster and not be forced to rely on whirlwind when it came to the human.

They were good at bunnyhoping? Jersey devil died the moment he comes close after bunnyhoping and not even healing well after, overconfidence cause of numbers or simply normal NA behaviour?

Regardless, I don't really mind explaining darkfall mechanics, ping dependencies or anything darkfall related. Just don't write your posts in such a pretentious tone in the future, it's annoying.

12. Janosh

Janosh Windlord
    Legend

I feel bad for you man... Not being able to compete with 20-30 ping and now has to play on 120? Poor doggen

Truedon likes this.
  13. Xaar

Xaar Dire Zombie

Omg Just try playing CSGO with 150 ping against someone with 10-60 u will fucking see a big difference :D i assure you , you will get kicked by your teammates. And dont even try this crap bulshit that this is mmo and other FPS. Both games are FPS highly competetive where EVERYTHING is all about timing , aming and strategy.

14. foggen

foggen Goblin Warrior

I see the toxic trolling has allready begun. One part of this community I havent missed a single bit.

15. DeadlyHit

DeadlyHit Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

Like old times

16. Ninogan

Ninogan Guest

He's killing Bellicose in most of the video then one UDL fight and one kill on obeesho. This proves absolutely nothing. Saying 150 ping is not a problem.. it's absolutely awful to play with but sure it's not a problem fighting when fighting bad players.

That ip andrew posted gave me 110 on average from Germany. Seems way more reasonable than df1 NA was for eus

17. nietoperz

nietoperz Goblin Scout

I understand that you guys are going to be on a tight budget, and the low cost of the server hosting is tempting, but in those cases you really are getting what you pay for. Seeing as this company doesn't provide colocation but rather only dedicated hosting, you will be at their mercy to provide any hardware fixes, updates. In such case, I would be particularly wary of any company whose facebook page has following user posts: "Server is down!!!! Cannot get in contact with anyone at Reliable." and "Server is down. Have called, emailed, everything for weeks [...]"
    Just saying.

That, and I'm also secretly pissed off that my ping is going to be higher than some of the European players, despite the fact that I live in the US.

18. Eagleglow

Eagleglow Ghost
    Hero

I dont care if i get 300 ping, give me darkfall!

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Undead Dwarf
    Hero

Really? how disturbing.

20. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

If you look for it you'll find unhappy customers with every host. This host has been in business for 10 years and overall seems pretty good especially considering their price. For this reason we're testing them out during alpha and if they aren't performing to our satisfaction we have a couple other providers lined up as backups just in case.

I've hosted services over the years with many different providers for both game servers and web/forum hosting. I've also hosted a few small servers out of my house as a teenager(I was really cool guys I promise...). We'll be monitoring performance carefully to ensure we not only get a fast, consistent latency for players but a reliable server with phenomenal uptime.

-Andrew