Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Latency reducers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Zoran_Styx

Zoran_Styx Goblin Warrior
    Legend

hehe no.

Just not got the same type.
    I mean i got a lower package at work, cheaper, since its not really designed to play :)

Anyway as long it stay in that rang there will be no problem to play.

Aldenfau ftw !

2. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

15ms.

Alright then.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

got room on that back for me?

4. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

This ping test just made room for furniture. You'll be a lot more comfortable up there than before :D

5. Kilset

Kilset Black Knight
    Hero

[​IMG]

ah sick glad the server is in the country i live in

6. Rath TNT

Rath TNT Stormgraive
    Legend

From the old days when the server was close to my house here in Los Angeles, I know how awesome that is. Lucky bastard!

7. theITcrowd

theITcrowd Goblin Warrior

this is a nice initiative. i hope it works out, ping especially the consistency issues can mean a lot in a game like this

8. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

when I tested it just now i got 143

highly doubt that will actually happen in game though

9. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Ive always wondered about how programs like battleping "really" reduce latency even. The only way I can imagine is if routers at certain locations are being overloaded, or there are illogical routes that are mapped (which I do see from time to time, in which your data will hit off of routers that are located further away from the final destination due to whatever reason).

Im only assuming that this VPN essentially tries to force a more logical static route instead of a ever changing dynamic one that is usually default for many isps?? Would it be possible to contact the hosting service and ask how things are set up in regards to routing? Maybe they can help in that regard?

Also, one of the biggest questions I have is what kind of server hardware are you guys running? I have worked with many organizations that no joke literally run beta drivers on their servers or default without ever updating. There are probably hundreds of potential hardware short comings or smarter selection in hardware that could slow down/speed up performance. I think that is potentially a big downfall that many software engineering oriented people dont typically look at or check.

#109 SenseiSpades, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  10. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Pretty much. Most isps don't have optimal routing, and the 20ms difference isn't relevant to 99% of their customers, so they don't care.
    You can perform a trace route and find out yourself. If your ISP already has alternative routes, they might be able to switch you, but they usually don't give a fuck, and won't.

11. Crucial Unit

Crucial Unit Goblin Warrior

So much room for activites. Grimtide and I can have a beer and watch the game while you do work. It's the easy life from here on out.

Grimtide likes this.
  12. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

I can imagine a hosting service being able to have some clout on the mega beaucratic isp companies to have decent routes to their hosting center. Would hit them up and see what could be done. Wouldnt hurt.

13. brahji

brahji Black Knight
    Legend

That is exactly what these services do. Try to find the most optimal route to the destination server. Also why it's usually only effective on routes with lots of hops.

14. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Ya, I think talking to the hosting service may be more economical for the userbase, who wants to pay money for something like battleping when hopefully the isp themselves can help straighten out their crap routes for atleast the ISP that pays them thousands of dollars for their services every month.

Edit: My company has done this before and got better routes and we arent even a hosting service, but it all depends.

15. Clarence Swamptown

Clarence Swamptown Black Knight
    Legend

These last hops from NY to NJ in Piscataway double my ping by themselves. I ping roughly 15 to NY (600km), and then there is a 15 ping gap between the first hops in NY and the last hops in NJ (65km). It still is 30 ping total and is pretty fkn good, it just doesn't make sense to me that my ping double from NY to NJ, too many hops I guess. I go thru 6 hops in NY and 2 in NJ. To compare, I had roughly the same ping to any areas around Chicago that I had to the Darkfall's Chicago server.

From what I can see the extra 15 ping I get appears in between NY hops. Looks like the signal is "ping ponging" in NY before going to NJ.

16. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

I wonder how difficult it would be to make a diet coke version of battleping, but just for riseofagon. Could maybe integrate the DF credentials into the login of the VPN, and set up some center points of where the traffic jams are.

One unfortunate thing about "ping" is, a ping to a server with zero load on it will be different than a ping on a server that is dealing with 3 sieges and a dip shit who is trying to dupe/etc.

17. Clarence Swamptown

Legend

contacted my isp, they have no clue and cannot do anything...
    between hops 8 and 9, both in NY, 15+ ping added for no fkn reasons

Code:
    6    18 ms    16 ms    15 ms  if-2-2.tcore1.N0V-New-York.as6453.net [216.6.90.21]                NEW YORK
      7    22 ms    16 ms    17 ms  if-7-2.tcore1.NTO-New-York.as6453.net [63.243.128.25]            NEW YORK
    8    17 ms    15 ms    15 ms  if-9-2.tcore1.N75-New-York.as6453.net [63.243.128.122]            NEW YORK
      9    30 ms    31 ms    31 ms  ae-8.r07.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.9.113]                NEW YORK
    10    30 ms    29 ms    31 ms  ae-0.choopa.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [128.241.2.202]            NEW YORK
    11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
    12    29 ms    29 ms    30 ms  ethernet1-2-2-c7-20-b2-1-sa.pnj1.choopa.net [108.61.92.190]        NEW JERSEY
    13    28 ms    29 ms    29 ms  nyc-metro-speedtest [206.221.176.194]                            NEW JERSEY

18. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Dude as a lowly ISP peasent, it will take you hours of pleading and crying to talk to someone who will know what you are talking about. Even then, they wont change a route just for one person, all sorts of possible ramifications come into changing something around that could effect hundreds maybe thousands of people, like a crazy game of Jinga.

Hosting centers get the fine wine and cheese treatment vs us peasent rabble. ie: They call up Billy and ask if they can do something about a route they have vs LaQueenLaTifa ( that you have been on hold with for 30 minutes ) who wants to sell you cable TV services in between telling you to unplug your modem

19. Clarence Swamptown

Legend

yeah that's why I will try battle ping again. It did do wonder for me when I played on that UW asian server (got like 60 less ping with it). I guess there is a chance that they will get me a better routing.

20. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

A chance in hell. If they change your routing just for you, please tell me, because you got the fuckin hook up. 95% of the plebs at a isp are mouth breathers that are brainwashed to offer you HBO services over actually helping you solve your problem.