Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Let's put this to rest once and for all.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WyLd_SyDe, Jun 2, 2017.

1. breakqop

breakqop Crypt Guard

i'd argue that's because historically nearly every mmo has nothing to do but grind your character or grind for items. darkfall is unique as an mmo in that the combat mechanics allow a high level of depth to pvp/player skill. i think hiding it behind a wall of grind is a mistake

open, persistent world

#201 breakqop, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    trammiesurprise likes this.
  2. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

Your answer is to make darkfall into a shittier version of overwatch with everyone having the same skills gear etc etc. Your way will kill the game just as fast as anyone else's. Giving people maxed chars will not solve the main issue which is the player skill gap. If you can't handle grinding a few hours a day for a couple weeks then mmos are not for you. I'm sorry but that's the truth of it.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. breakqop

breakqop Crypt Guard

i've never played overwatch, but i think we both know that the underlying combat mechanic differences between it and darkfall are way different. the games don't play the same at all

i never said it would solve the problem, and the player skill gap is really only a problem when vets have no incentive not to kill every newb they see.

i agree with the main point you're trying to make in this thread, i just disagree with some of the pro-grind reasoning you and some others are using

4. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

The solution is to make it somehow unfavorable to kill people still early in learning (and not being in sieges, VCPs or other obvious combat situations). This can be done with protections, or zones or punishments or rewards for defenders etc, but the end result needs to be the same. There needs to be breathing room at the bottom or it will suffocate.

5. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

Honestly I don't mind the grind but I'm not necessarily pro grind either. I'm just tired of seeing the same blanket reasoning used in addressing the games issues. Giving people maxed chars will not solve anything. Giving newbs more protections is a bad aid fix that will in the long run not solve anything either.

Fixing the alignment system might go a long way, and adding a more in depth tutorial would definitely go a long way. But let's not dumb the game down anymore than it already is. The people crying about having to put a little work into the game won't stay, even if there was some sort of handi cap for vets. They are fair weather gamers who believe they are entitled to everything without the least bit of effort or knowledge on their part. We've all been that new player getting ganked and feeling hopeless before, the only difference is we decided to do something about it instead of getting on the forums and clamoring for catering.
    --- Post updated ---
    Or they could join one of the 20 guilds spamming new player chat everyday and gain from their experience and protection. At the end of the day this game is guild vs guild, why should the game be changed to cater to the solo blues who aren't going resub anyway once their purchase time runs out

6. breakqop

breakqop Crypt Guard

yep, anyone arguing for dumbing the game down, lowering the skill ceiling, has no place in darkfall. i'd argue there's still a lot of cheesy shit that needs to be removed or tweaked to make the game even more player skill based.

i think the complaints against the grind are legit. hiding the core of the game behind a wall of dumb grind is and always will be stupid for all the reasons i've given in this thread.

7. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

looooooooooool

8. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

Or they could join one of the 20 guilds spamming new player chat everyday and gain from their experience and protection. At the end of the day this game is guild vs guild, why should the game be changed to cater to the solo blues who aren't going resub
    I just don't think it's necessary. The grind is chill as it is, and is a great way for people to get acclimated to the game. A few weeks time to learn the game and decide if you want to be mage or destroyer is reasonable to me

9. IsilithTehroth

IsilithTehroth Gravelord
    Supporter

The grind is very easy now. I bet 2-3 months from now when everyone is maxed out you'll be the first one complaining that there is nothing to do(unless bpg adds non pvp content). You can spam a bolt for 2-3 hours and get to 50 easily.

WE DON'T WANT AN ARENA GAME. Remember this quote from DFO days? This will happen if you make it so there is no grind. Go play a fps if you dont want to play a mmorpg. Oh wait you'll probably complain about having to play the game to unlock new weapons on that too.

#209 IsilithTehroth, Jun 3, 2017
  10. Mexi Horseman

Mexi Horseman Goblin Warlord

honestly one of the dumbest turns in gaming is grinding for weapons and shit.. charging me for opening loot that i got in game.. etc.. modern video games are shit tastic. There hasn't been a good FPS since Quake III.

11. IsilithTehroth

IsilithTehroth Gravelord
    Supporter

I don't mind the unlocking of weapons so much because generally the weapons are pretty balanced, but loot crates and general pay for everything schemes really irritate me. I don't mind it as much in, say csgo because its just cosmetic.

12. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

while thats an understandable point of view in general, its not a legit approach for an mmo. its true that alot of ppl share that mentality which is way MOBA┬┤s are so popular these days. however this game has less grind than most themeparks now so if you still cba with the effort it takes id genuinely recomend

quake II*

quake III was an abomination worse than DFUW...far worse actually

13. kompletist

kompletist Goblin Warrior
    Tester

Defending the grind is a fallacy in my opinion. I've stated this to ad nauseam this thread but I can't stress enough that I play this game for two reasons. To play with my friends and enjoy the brilliant DF PvP combat. Everything else in the game is gravy and unfortunately often times a hindrance. The grind (gear, skills, magic, regs, etc..) for example acts as a hindrance.

Please don't use WE when stating your opinions. You don't speak for me and I will commit to not speaking for you.

breakqop likes this.
  14. trammiesurprise

trammiesurprise Wildtribe Mage
    Legend

Of course you will find Sero in here ranting to keep the grind as yesterday him and Sorrow were having a blast curb stomping a clan that is majority new players trying to do their daily quest.

They got me as well and I'm no new player so I'm not here trying to knock their individual skill as players.

What I want to say is that had those new players unlocked the abilities you all were using, and had they been using those abilities longer, they would have been more experienced and put up a better fight. There is only a handful of demoralizing beatings a player will take before they find a more enjoyable way to spend their time.

In Darkfall I dont know how you fix this and I myself am just as guilty as anyone else. After taking my 3rd beating while trying to skill up yesterday I decided fuck it and went out killing people who may have been in the same situation as me, demoralized and on the edge of logging out as the daily beatings took a toll on their mental health.

I'm lucky for now as I am not the absolute bottom of the food chain, so I still get a taste of victory. But as the beatings continue and the weak are weeded out I will evetually be the weak at the bottom and from there I will need to choose to get better so that I can taste victory once more, or surrender and accept defeat.

#214 trammiesurprise, Jun 3, 2017
    Dixie Normus and Battle Smurf like this.
  15. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Real talk would you like to make a bet on that?

Because i'll put at least $100 on New Dawn being the superior version with more subscribers by June 3rd 2018

I'm being totally serious btw, we can discuss details in PMs, but don't agree to anything if you can't/won't pay up on the off chance you lose
    --- Post updated ---
    This is my mentality too although I don't need the loaded bank just the pvp viable character

16. trammiesurprise

Legend

Test Center was so fun!
    Login, go to any moongate (post AoS, pre AoS vesper bridge was my jam), and bang hard! But we will forever despise each other as I prefer the post AoS combat to Pre-AoS.

17. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

For the record @WyLd_SyDe I accept the 3v3 equal gear/character offer if BPG will oblige

Seems like You, @Sero, and @dempig are the most outspoken "pro" grinders with maxed characters running your mouths about how everyone else just needs to "git guud"

While @breakqop , myself, and @trammiesurprise are the ones with shit characters saying character grind is bad for player retention and that we don't even feel like playing because of it

Sounds like good teams to me

Dixie Normus and trammiesurprise like this.
  18. trammiesurprise

Legend

You all know me if my char was complete all I need is a bag of regs and a blackbolt and Im playing non stop.

19. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

TL;DR this thread: I WANT IT, AND I WANT IT NOW.

Someone give these retards their skill gain increase already so they can hurry up and quit and get off the forums.
    --- Post updated ---
    Those new players were in the tomb iklit dungeon.

Wtf are brand new players doing in near end game content?

You don't go up to a level 10 in WoW and say HEY, COME DO MOLTEN CORE BRO.

Korag likes this.
  20. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

Dont know why im bothering here this wont change a thing but here goes:

It's not the grind thats the problem its the new player with barely anything to his name trying to grind who gets repeatedly killed by max char vets for no reason other to satisfy some sick need to feel superior.

how many times will this noob run back out naked to farm basic stuff that lets him farm better stuff more efficiently.

sero posted a video about killing a dark dragon and says git gud. most new players cant get to that point because constant griefing by vets in NOOB SPAWNS.

hell they cant even get to those places due to portals being camped.

his alignment was -1000. how do you get that if you are legit pvping in lawless areas? here is a tip: you cant. you only get that from pking noobs in lawful lands.

as long as people are allowed to harass new players like this and not let them start out/build a bank and move to lawless lands on their OWN TIME, the game will never flourish.

uo had pk's but they weren't everywhere all the time killing every noob around. there was also alot more penalties since there were no player holdings for them to bank at.

BPG needs to add opt in factions SOON and get these sick bastards AWAY from the new players. add in a pvp currency that they want so they stop killing noobs for their 500g and goblin staffs.

trammiesurprise and Battle Smurf like this.