Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Let's put this to rest once and for all.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WyLd_SyDe, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

homies leveling his abilities on goblins, while you morons sit on the forums and complain?

smh.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    RootedOak, Fengor, WyLd_SyDe and 2 others like this.
  2. PandahSykes

PandahSykes Goblin Shaman

What facts have been revealed here that prove you or the other bitchy guys points? An opinion that some of you aren't viable enough yet ? For fucks sake this My second time playing a darkfall game (first time was last year when ROA and dnd came out together for beta) and I'm having a blast - im viable against others that are at my experience level , and if I have a friend I can usually take on a stronger opponent with more magic , the only issue here is they always get away with their fancy ass movement spells .

I don't think the grind could be made ANY EASIER without ruining the core concept of any mmo : hard work to establish a character , the hard work is so much less in this game than in new dawn or in any other mmo I've played , difference here is this game isn't shit like world of Warcraft and other MMOs where the grind takes forever to be competitive (months , if not a year to get up to proper item and character levels ).

Be grateful that the game is frontloaded and such , I am because the grind for money , meditation points and levels in general was terrible in new dawn and this game last year in beta , now it's much better and if you can't be viable with 4 hours a day after a month then it's something you are doing wrong, not the entire game itself .

Sero likes this.
  3. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

lol anyone complaining about the grind need to take a seat \_ <-- (here ill provide you one) and chill their titties. game is barely a month old and ppl are whining that the casual players that just started playing the game arent pvp viable yet. give me a effin break jesus... back at original launch i had a ton of freetime and grinded for 12-15h a day average for 4-5 months and didnt even have arcane unlocked yet. granted i didnt know anything about the game at that point and refused to afk macro.

but seriously let go that idea that having all the skills at 75 will suddenly change the world and your enjoyment will magically increase by factor thousand. you will still get utterly destroyed by good players on worse chars and you will still have to farm for gear/wealth on a regular basis and you will still get jumped on low health and die while doing so. its part of the game. it always was and always will be... for everyone ... not just new players.

the advice that i can give you is, stop focusing so much on maxing out your char as that will not help you much in the long run. focus on learning the game, where to farm, how to farm etc. learn game mechanics like how to bunnyhop efficiently, how to get in and out of melee engagements, how to combo your skills together efficiently (magma -> ray -> ww or ww -> double jump -> ray just to name a few examples) learn how to use spells that effect physics in combination with terrain etc. learn how to stat efficiently. getting better at these things will get you much further than a maxed out toon. and guess what, while you do all these things you organically advance your character.

will it be slower than vet progression? ofc it will be but the thing is this. vets already made that playerskill progression years ago and all they need to do is get their characters to the same level of progression. if a new player approaches the game the same way as a vet he will just end up with a maxed out toon eventually only to find out that he has no freakin clue how to actually utilize all those maxed out skills properly. THAT will make ppl quit cos they no longer have that carrot of maxing out to chase and quickly realize that this "once im maxed i can stand toe to toe with all these evul vets that been wrecking me on pimped out super chars for the last 3 months" mindset was an illusion.

TL;DR focus on playerskill progression rather than character progression if you are new to the game. its worth infinity times more and while you get better at the game your char will also get better organically and it will feel much less like a grind.

Andrew, Brown Dorf and PandahSykes like this.
  4. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

my point is the question isn't how do we fix the "grind" it's how do we fix the 8 year skill gap? i'm just tired of seeing people cry about the grind when taking that away really will kill the game once and for all. since i am not a fan of offering problems and no solutions (like most of the people in this thread) i propose we have a dfo pvp school help a few times a month with some of the more popular streamers and better pvpers like jonah, sero, yuki, wally world etc. or even anyone who would care to put the time in. if we want this game to succeed we have to properly identify the problem. it's the skill gap not the grind that is causing issues.

5. merkmerk73

merkmerk73 Earth Elemental

I mean the meta being 72 keybinds or w/e isn't gonna help player retention but I guess it helps certain folks feel like they got big dicks so grats on RoAs inevitable 100 player population

Maybe ND or the next DF type game will use this as an example of what not to do - 'everything' characters are a bad idea.

edit: tldr its not the grind its just the current game. new players want to grab a bow or axe or throw some spells - not mastery every single one and every school of magic

ashsun, Zeiken, Kurise LXV and 2 others like this.
  6. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

Ok so you're basically confirming my point. Some people aren't going to like the game, that's just the way it is. Changing it to cater to the whiners and 2 week no subbers isn't going to fix anything. It's going to kill the game permanently

Tldr how do you reduce the bind grind :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Fengor and Sero like this.
  7. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

Probably 75% of my posts on these forums are discussing issues with the game and offering suggestions.

Number one on my list is the alignment system. They managed to make a terrible alignment system far worse, which is an accomplishment in and of it self.

The power gap has always been another issue. I think complaints about the grind are symptoms rather than the issue, and addressing the power gap and alignment system would help alleviate those issues.

There's a reason the first 3 months of EU were BY FAR the most popular this game has ever and will ever be. In RoA they literally ACCELERATED the game to it's dead 2012 state and changed nothing else but made the alignment system worse. Im sorry but if you can't see that you're blind. And if you think that equation will come to a different result this time you're a moron.

If you want ROA to be your little private server of df 2012, which I sincerely think you do, that's fine. You'll meet your goal however dumb that goal is. But you'll also have the same dead population, this time accelerated.

Some other issues I've voiced in on in no particular order:
    City mine vs golem rare ore issue
    Trade/racial chat issue
    Lack of mage specializations
    UI and map still being a dumpster fire
    Meditation points
    75>100 magic grind speed relative to 1>75
    Melee vs archery grind speed relative to each other
    Lawful/lawless areas

ashsun, Zeiken, Kurise LXV and 2 others like this.
  8. Grisvok

Grisvok Skeleton Archer

The grinds real reasonable. I play a couple hours a night and binge on the weekends and have enough to be viable after like 2 weeks of play. I played one month of DF:NA when it released so I'm not really experienced. If i'd taken time off work and no life it for a week, which I've done in other games, id be pretty maxed out by now even knowing nothing. That said the games far from perfect and I think the following issues will make people leave a lot quicker:

1. Theres no centralized place to get knowledge. Theres no Allakhazam or MMOchamps or whatever other website. So finding out a lot of game mechanics is pretty shit. Sero said above meditation points cost 6k gold a day. I had no clue that was even the case. Half the mechanics questions I've had were answered by people who played beta and avidly read the patch notes. And I have to play with like 3-4 google docs up, which is pretty stupid to be honest. Searching the forums doesn't really work well either. It shouldn't take hours of research to answer simple questions.

2. This game is clunky. Drawing weapons / casting spells/ etc feels real choppy. The animations tend to be kinda bad with spells too, especially rays. I sometimes hit things and have no fucking clue how it happened. Other times I swear to god my spells burn the armpit hair off people but pass right through. I also think its kind of annoying theres no way to learn the range of spells except by screwing them up a million times.

3. Theres not enough PvE. Its kind of sad cause I think pve is pretty fun in this game. But I went to the center of the volcano on Yssam, found an EPIC city at the center of the volcano that had nothing in it. Completely empty except for the structures. Oh, there should also be more dungeons.

4. Until the knowledge issue is fixed newbie protection should be like 7 days (plenty of time to get "viable"), then reduced down to 3 days when fixed.

Brown Dorf likes this.
  9. sky

sky Undead Dwarf
    Benefactor

I had some ideas on this.

1. Clarity and cleaning up of tooltips (I had to explain to my friends to get Endurance and stuff because this is explained nowhere, and the tooltips "Determine the natural x regeneration rate" arent as helpful as it could bel. Nor does it explain that getting stuff like sturdy raises your overall stat pool (brought mine from 400 to 413).
    2. Community top 100 quick tips thread that could maybe be incorporated in the loading screens?
    3. Tutorial pages with animated pictures demonstrating physics based movement, such as bhopping.
    4. Better default bindings, maybe something agreed upon by the community
    5. Explanation of ray and spell cycles, what spells are good, what spells are bad

you know, stuff where you dont have to go on google to find the forums and scour 40 different threads in new player help, or spam a bunch of questions in discord.

#69 sky, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Oresmacker, Korag and WyLd_SyDe like this.
  10. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

these are all very valid and well known issues, if you truly enjoy the game just work on your char and gear and hope that BPG will deliver on these points. i don't know what else to tell you, every game has it's major flaws, you just have to ask yourself if the other aspects outweigh the negatives. don't come crying on the forums and creating a negative atmosphere because you got killed by some nerd while alt tabbed resting

11. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

lol seriously, it isn't because of the clan you are with that you were able to know the spawns and what to do to level quickly I mean if your gonna try to make a point then make sure to add all the facts otherwise you make yourself look very biased.

Sero without the casual players this game will not survive we have seen it fail and die 2 times, so while I agree the grind is easy now compared to any previous version and many other mmo's, being a total dick to a total new player offering his point of view might not be healthy for the game, that is unless that was your goal. To try and hurt the game.

Zeiken and Kurise LXV like this.
  12. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

very valid points, presented in a reasonable and constructive manner. that's all i'm asking. don't deflect what the main issue is (your personal skill level) onto other aspects of the game that are subjective. if you don't want to put the time in to get good at the game, what is changing the already pretty chill grind going to do? nothing
    --- Post updated ---
    the game failed and died not because of the grind which was 30x worse in orig, but because of the lack of development and community interaction. bpg has these things. let's not deflect what the issue was/is.

player skill gap is an issue, let's come up with solutions and not more problems

13. merkmerk73

merkmerk73 Earth Elemental

No you're right I don't think it's the grind although I'm sure many players quit after getting owned by advanced no lifers in the first few weeks

I'm just saying the real problem is how daunting playing the game competitively right now is - and how god awful game design it is

Watch a video of your typical no lifer pvp - hits like a warrior shoots like an archer and casts every spell in the game

what we have are people like you that want arenafall 2012 - you have your current method of domination and you don't want it to change

You don't want more role specificity - but that's what the game needs

But you are in luck because the devs are too scared to do anything experimental and so the game will just choke itself out over the next couple months

We are already down to about 2/3rds to maybe 1/2 if active launch pop

Bandido likes this.
  14. Grisvok

Grisvok Skeleton Archer

Ya im gunna keep playing for awhile I think. It is pretty fun still despite those flaws. Ill give them a few updates to show me they're heading in the right direction.

15. Varekai

Varekai Infernal

Good Troll.

Devs have enough on their plate like making their coins have any sort of value.

WyLd_SyDe likes this.
  16. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

17. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

you're very vocal about the issues with the game, let's hear your solutions. how is role specificity going to change anything? make it so that numbers mean everything and kill the solo pvp aspect of the game? not everyone likes zerging. one of my favorite things in the game is winning an outnumbered fight, with your suggestions that would no longer be possible

Sero likes this.
  18. Bandido

Bandido Skeleton Archer

So do not change anything you like about the game but it is ok to make changes you do not like, Got ya

Zeiken and Kurise LXV like this.
  19. feeWAIVER

feeWAIVER Goblin Warlord

This thread is toxic as fuck.

Sero likes this.
  20. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

#80 propain, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Fengor likes this.