Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Let's put this to rest once and for all.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WyLd_SyDe, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

WRONG.

The game needs everyone to be equal, which they are.

Shit games like WoW need role specificity, it's thataway btw.----->

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Korag and Circa like this.
  2. Jonah_Veil

Jonah_Veil Chosen of Khamset
    Supporter Streamer

If you think you need 72 keybinds, you don't know what you're doing.

Ener theWild, Korag, Circa and 4 others like this.
  3. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

what in the shit am i reading.

Fengor likes this.
  4. Talkin Bidness

Talkin Bidness Goblin Warrior

This thread confirms sero has a baby dick.

Oresmacker and Sero like this.
  5. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

confirmed.

6. Bandido

Bandido Skeleton Archer

he needs to spit it out , it is not his

7. Susihukka

Susihukka Goblin Shaman

No grind means no things to do.

People will not log into this game to run around aimlessly to look for pvp for the sake of pvp.

PvP needs to be a byproduct of other motivations in the game, not the motivation itself.

In a couple of weeks to a month here the majority of players start nearing effective maximum power char progression wise, and when that happens this game will transition into bank staring and roof jumping and die off like dfo did, the only difference is timescale, df1 lasted longer because people had things to do in the game, the game had grind.¨

And make no mistake any content that is time consuming and yet beneficial enough to justify the time expense will be considered a grind by somebody as they will feel compelled to participate regardless of whether they enjoy the activity or not due to the benefit it provides.
    The content has to be time consuming as if it is not time consuming there is no content, as any content that you finish in 5 seconds might aswell not be there at all, and the content has to be beneficial or it wont be worth participating in and thus wont be content at all, as it will be dead on arrival.

Because content has to be time consuming and has to provide you with in game benefits any and all content will be considered a grind by somebody, really the only difference between content and a grind is whether you enjoy the activity or not.

Frog and Sero like this.
  8. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

actually they will, my guildies do it all the time and i did it constantly in dfo

9. Kurise LXV

Kurise LXV Deadeye

4 hours a day is not casual. If youre able to dedicate 4 hours every day to a video game, you are not playing casually.
    --- Post updated ---
    Probably the dumbest response in the thread.

Does CSGO have a high skill ceiling? Yes.

Is CSGO insanely easy to pick and enjoy? Yes.

Do you farm weapon skills and constantly farm for bullets to shoot your weapon?

Do I need to continue on why comparing CSGO to Darkfall is retarded?

Not to mention one has 100s of thousands playing where the other has 100s.

One has a wealth of knowledge and videos to learn from, the other has a tutorial to show you how to press WASD.

ashsun, Navlaan, breakqop and 2 others like this.
  10. kompletist

kompletist Goblin Warrior
    Tester

There is a major point of difference you are missing here though sir. In DF the vets and casuals are in constant competition. In almost every modern non-MMO game that centers on PvP there is an elo system. If I'm a gold LoL player and I was forced to play against world class talent all day everyday I would quit as well.

I remember a week or so ago in the forums a guy was trying to make the case for an Arena and was laughed off the planet. Hell the OP in this post put a sarcastic spin on the very same thing. Honestly I think it would work if you had a good foundation with a rating system, rewards and a well laid out zone/map/arena.

Would it change vanilla DF as we know it? Hell yes. Would it be awful for the game? Not for me. Personally the only thing I enjoy about DF is the combat and my friends. If I can PvP with my friends I have fun, not an overly complex equation. Sea towers, sieges, trade routes, village caps....throw them in the dumpster in my opinion.

breakqop and Sero like this.
  11. skreww L00se

skreww L00se Undead Dwarf
    Legend

Wylde syde still mad that he lost to Bom Jones 1v1

Battle Smurf likes this.
  12. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

Okay so you want to play a completely different game? In order to get more conte t we need to support the game first as best we can and not create a negative atmosphere of whining and negative nancying
    --- Post updated ---
    Who the fuck is bom Jones? The only time I've ever lost 1v1 on film was l00se cannon and dick fagley melee arch duel. All other accusations i will deny ofc

13. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

But this is a more dynamic game than isntanced based mmo's.

We're in a vast open world, which is the major draw of the game. If I wanted to play arena, there's a dozen other mmo's I can play. I don't want the confines of an arena. If I run into someone in the open world, in the back of my mind I don't know if they are someone who is new, or someone who has been playing 10x longer than I have. In UW we had the prowess system so we could gage approximately how developed they are. But people didn't like it as much as people would see "300k to my 30k? I'm out." They wouldn't even TRY, because of the power gap would be so massive.

In DF1, no display so you really don't know.

Arena would take away from the open world by far, people would just sit and do the arena all day for "FAIR" fights. And at the end of the day, you don't always get fair fights, sometimes you outnumber the enemy, sometimes you don't. We need to keep the organic nature of the game flowing, as the game isn't based around everything being 1v1. Group combat is some of the craziest combat I have seen in a modern MMO. There's so many little things that go into every engagement, and the decision making is intense.

That is why I am so resistant to such a thing. It could work for events such as tournaments run at fixed times, but we don't want to take away from the main draw of the game, and that is fighting in the open world at any time.

14. zato1

zato1 Goblin Warrior

im not a new DF player, but i am fairly new to grinding in DF. i played DF1 as a pure soloist with little to no regards to pve in any way. it took me years to have a maxed toon, but it didn't bother me because even as a half-maxed destro, the player skill i gained instead of pve progress helped me take down people i had no business killing, wearing gear i shouldn't even have.

in UW, i played more or less the same, and once my character was viable around 100k prowess i literally stopped grinding entirely. i finished that game with like 170k prowess.

i don't grind as much as i should. im a destro, my melee mastery is 50, although my sharpshooter is surging now. i've got a long way to go in terms of player skill, but even people that hate me cannot deny basic competence. i've come a long way in a short time.

in this game, though, im trying to play the grind game with these fools. i know its basically a poopsock grindfest, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying the game yet.

the bigger differences between myself and top players like hipster,mag,squanto's crew, bird, jonah etc, is the gap in player skill. the closer i get to that level, the more i see the little things that i need to improve upon that better players are masterful at already: whirlwind transitions, parry transitions, staff swaps for ray, squirreling movement while statting, execution of combos, all that sort of stuff.

even if i had a maxed character more powerful than these guys, i still wouldn't be able to take them 1v1. would the fight be closer? probably, but not by much.

there is no easy way to tell you this, but you just need to get good. sure, you might be better aimer than top players, or a top8 dueler in quake live, and i promise you that means fuck all here. the only thing it shows is that you potentially have the talent background to be good at this game, but you have to work and improve upon the specific darkfall skillsets that other players have.

if you truly believe yourself to be a cut above the rest in terms of talent and skill, then you will be just fine in darkfall. more likely, the case is you're looking for an excuse to blame your losses on, because its so much easier to blame the game instead of accepting your own faults.

even if you were truly outclassed by characters you have no chance of killing, you should still be able to escape on a mount, from all but the very best players, which is yet another skill that you'll have to learn and master.

Navlaan, Fengor and WyLd_SyDe like this.
  15. hirve

hirve Goblin Warlord

which is why no new players stick around

16. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

I guess, I always thought it was because new players could just go play WoW and have everything handed to them so they could feel good about themselves.

17. Grisvok

Grisvok Skeleton Archer

Honestly the best suggestion that has been made repeatedly so far is more days of noob protection. Lets say I play casually, which id define as 5-10 hours per week (some people would say even less than this).

10 hours per week with 72 hours of newb protection (3 days) = 7 weeks of newb protection, give or take a week. Thats a month and a half. If you extended it to 7 days you'd be talking 168 hours of newb protection. Thats 16 weeks or so, or 4 months for a casual player. Hell with 168 hours of safety even a hardcore player (30+ hours per week) would have probably over a month before new protection wore off. Which is plenty of time to grind skills, learn the basic mechanics, etc. Give them the ability to carry that protection to any capital so long as they're within the capital tiles and you've given any new player to the game a month or so of safety in multiple locations across Agon.

18. tommeh

tommeh Dire Zombie
    Contributor Hero

good idea but wouldn't work. be abused by alt accounts gathering 24/7 safe as fuck

WyLd_SyDe and Korag like this.
  19. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

ya kidding me? the grind was one of the top 3 reason, the company itself being number one and the griefing by vets being number 2. did ya play df1?
    --- Post updated ---
    well yes to all cept they claimed on the discord thousands of people are playing. still no where near csgo I am sure

Navlaan likes this.
  20. kompletist

kompletist Goblin Warrior
    Tester

Not going to disagree with you as you're right, doing something like this would really pull away from the open world and that's probably not the best idea as you rightly pointed out the vast open world is one of the major selling points to the game.

Consider though that I said I literally only login to Darkfall for the combat and friends. Limit my access to either and I'm out. Obviously I'm not alone here either because in every other iteration of Darkfall once the population starts to falter an exodus ensues. Less people = less combat = less fun.

Ranked solo and team based arena combat could absolutely work for me and I would have to think quite a few other players as well. I get to compete with my friends using one of the best combat systems ever created. Throw in rankings aka progression, rewards, glory and all that fun stuff and you have an experience that keeps you coming back for more.

I wasn't trying to be negative earlier when I said throw all the open world carrots in the dumpster I was simply trying to point out if you gave me instant access to good pvp I wouldn't need all of that other stuff (sieges, sea towers, etc..). Hell, the day I want to be negative about Darkfall is the day I quietly uninstall and yes you can all have my stuff at that point.

breakqop likes this.