Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Let's talk about farming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Billy Lee, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Varangian Warthane
    Team B Lifetime

Overall, I love farming in RoA but there are some very serious issues that need to be addressed and discussed. I really want to see what you guys think, let's see if we can promote some positive change because I know a lot of you hate farming and those of us that enjoy it often have criticisms as well.

1. Rare loot is far too rare to the point of it not being fun. I keep track of everything I farm and have hundreds of screenshots from hour-long farming sessions, nearly all pictures have roughly the same loot for each monster. Loot is extremely predictable. Maps should be MUCH more common, as should keys.
    2. Big monsters are less profitable than small and medium monsters in most cases. Sure, the loot is generally good but the respawn timers are huge. If you actually calculate gold per hour these monsters are often very poor options for wealth building. This does not include champions and other boss monsters.
    3. Rotating spawns should not be a requirement, locking down prime spawns should be a reward for bravery and feel very good to control. Timers are WAY too long for selentine tier and higher monsters. Nobody wants to wait 7 to 15 minutes for a respawn with barely any chance at rare items and only a small amount of high-end materials. Protecting the economy is key but fun factor is the most important element of farming and it's often just not fun to burn time waiting for long respawns. Keep the same core loot and greatly boost chances for rare loot, then cut down respawn timers.
    4. New uncommon and rare items need to be added to hard monster loot tables. Map fragments is a great start, keep it going.
    5. The ice dragon and kraken loot tables being poor for such a long time is just sad, why do they not get buffed? These are some of the biggest monsters in the game, come on!
    6. I really like the new monsters! However, they do not drop rare items often enough. It is common to kill 30 or more without a rare item, that can mean as much as 9 hours of farming! What's worse is that the selentine and veilron tier monsters seem to only have a chance at a neithal key and maps are extremely rare, if they even drop at all. I have killed a ton of them and gotten very little.
    7. It should be possible for multiple rare items to drop from the same kill. I MUCH prefer the chance of a random explosion of loot like in dfo over the extremely stingy rare item yield of RoA. For example, in dfo you could kill an evil eye and get a leenspar key, a medium map, a large map, and a runestone. It was a really lucky drop and felt GOOD. In Roa this is not possible, you get a max of one rare item and that would be an extreme long shot chance at a large map. High levels of excitement from loot are just not a big part of the game for almost all monsters.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Sepeku

Sepeku Goblin Warrior

I actually enjoy grinding on most games. I enjoyed the shit out of early RoA grind for skills and what-not. with that said - current things that stop me from farming:

doesn't feel like it's worth the time for me. I always debate about going to kill the leenspar golem but I fucking hate the respawn timer + the drop isn't juicy enough to make me actually go farm it.. Guardians was super enjoyable at the beginning and had me farming for hours to get demolish + my stats to 110 but now it's just back to bleh again. Nothing seems lucrative/fun enough to get me to go out and actually farm anymore.

Incanuth Archbane and Sero like this.
  3. Xipos<3

Xipos<3 Stormgraive
    Legend

1. Rare loot should be rare though. It's a bonus cash price on top of your average gold/hour, and shouldn't be nearly baseline level drops that can be an expected/predictable component of your yield. I've only gotten a few maps and some keys, but that's fine with me. It makes gold more valuable, instead of an over surplus of gold sources. Ultimately, it makes the market function, because people have to sell loot to afford their gear. This is a big contrast to DND.
    2. Big monsters drop end-game mats for end-game gear, which is where their values are at. Craft gear out of it and sell it for insane amounts, and you'll net higher profits than those mid-tier mobs. And you can just rotate these mobs with others in the vicinity. Make large farming circles, which will also increase the probability of running into chaos chests, exposing you to more RNG instant gratification.
    3. Respawn timers are for restricting supply of rare mats, and it does increase the risk of PvP in the areas. There's basically less monsters/hour with a higher respawn timer, which means that people on average have to farm more monsters of that kind to get the mats they need, thus they have to stay there longer. And so what that you have to spend time farming the high-end mobs to get the end-game gear? It's supposed to be hard.
    4. Agree with fourth point, some interesting unique drop chances should be added. Perhaps racial weapon components.
    5. Haven't tried ice dragon yet, but kraken seems to be weak - although we've had some interesting housing items drop from it. Before kraken loot gets buffed in any case, the difficulty and AI has to be somewhat redone and improved. Right now it can be easily 2-manned with little effort and risk.
    6. Rare drops should remain super rare. Maybe tier it a bit, making small maps a little bit more common, but more rewarding RNG drops should not be something you can expect from every farming session.
    7. That amount of crazy loot is just beyond any form of reason. Sure, it feels good, that's what instant gratification is lol. Doesn't mean it's good game design for an mmorpg though.
    Increase the rare loot like you want, and there will be an explosion in the supply of gold from high-end mobs, which inflates the economy ridiculously. New players will have an even harder time getting good gear. Is that what you want? Or would it perhaps be reasonable to let the noobs gear up faster and join PvP battles faster, instead of trying to compete with infernal Q5 geared vets locking down end-game mobs for hours?

DND fucked up pretty hard with it's spawn-scaling system, and the consequences carried over throughout the whole year after launch. People ended up not having to ever farm leenspar, Q5 mats etc. ever again. Gold was so easy to come by, that nobody traded with it, only sometimes using items for items swapping. Marketplaces were utterly useless.

The farming feels pretty balanced. I think most people here are just out to get instant gratification, spending perhaps an hour a week of farming to get their gearbags to PvP for a week.

Battle Smurf likes this.
  4. Kantor

Kantor Black Knight
    Prosperous Legend Contributor

I hate farming in RoA why? I like group farming or duo farming and that’s not possible in RoA. One the loot isn’t worth it for more then 1 person on most mob and 2 the respwan time are too long. 12mins is a long time to wait. So is 5 so is 3 so is 2 minutes staring at a screen. Basically can’t get any farming in as a casual because if I get jump I’m set back a whole week.

Fengor and Slayven like this.
  5. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

We have declining marginal benefit for increasing marginal difficulty yadda yadda yadda if it was any other way everyone would be rolling in Q5 gear constantly.

Only like the 200th time this thread has been started.

6. quietnoobz

quietnoobz Celestial

Maps should be MUCH more common, as should keys.

AGREED. maps + keys = extra content. too rare extra content from mobs.

Billy Lee and Inkarnation like this.
  7. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

Put map fragment in the keys loot...

Skins for weapons in the kraken and dragons loot

Make possible meditate stat up to 120...for "force"players to finish task

8. Finnad

Finnad Air Elemental
    Legend

easier access to ele arrows pls thanks

Inkarnation, Xipos<3, Fengor and 4 others like this.
  9. Billy Lee

Team B Lifetime

Doesn't it seem like 95% of maps come from villages? You'd think it would be the people that enjoy farming would be the ones to get the most maps. The drop rates seem extremely low on almost all monsters. I farm an hour or two a day and usually get zero maps. I also think people really do not understand why explosions of loot are so important, it is really boring to be capped at one rare item per kill, I don't think that the occasional drop of two maps is going to break the game, it would just make people enjoy farming more.

10. DeadlyHit

DeadlyHit Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

destro scum

11. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

Why they are at 100 Bowery mastery only the RoA gods know...

Slayven and Finnad like this.
  12. Billy Lee

Team B Lifetime

The respawn timers can put me on tilt sometimes, I don't mind waiting 2 or 3 minutes but 15 minutes is insane, maybe 5 minutes tops for a big monster. Like I said in the op, protecting the economy is important but farming is supposed to be fun. I've been getting really ADD too, I kill a monster and immediately minimize RoA and start screwing around on the net, which puts me at risk of losing really expensive gear bags and all my loot, I just can't keep my focus between spawns.

The Red King likes this.
  13. KoKane

KoKane Celestial

I enjoyed most of the PVE when I was playing last time. I tend to search for the highest Gold Per Hour / most efficient farming overall - but I did encounter some issues that I think should be addressed:

Downtime is murder. It's an absolute killer. You give me downtime and I'll probably log off or get distracted enough to not be bothered by the 4th + respawn. I bet there's actual psychology behind it too if anyone cared to dive into it. The brain can't tolerate shit like downtime.
    It's a tricky thing to fix in a game like this though.

Secondly - Group farming, or farming with more than just yourself.
    In very few cases can you really beat a solo farmer. In terms of Gold Per Hour I mean. Obviously a group can pull in a bulk haul, but usually from mobs or locations that need to factor in so many other risk variables. A solo player will usually yield a bigger personal and more consistent haul in the end.
    I'd honestly prefer it if farming in a small group for things other than boss mobs, was the best way to make money.

It would undermine people trying to abuse alts. I think it would promote more pve in general, as getting jumped wouldnt be so punishing compared to farming alone + it means maybe more people will be pk'ing, so small group fights might happen, and they could go anyones way when group farming.

(I know some non-boss mob spawns are really good with more than 1 person, but I feel it should be a lot more)

But above all of that, I honestly just hate Downtime. Anything else is not an issue for me.
    I can't comment on new changes to loot as I haven't tried the latest changes. But if what Billy is saying, is that the loot is now completely predictable.. I don't like that. I prefer a little RNG towards a bonus, like the Toys almost. As long as it's there.

Removing downtime without opening the floodgates for the loot... I'm not even sure how you could do it. I honestly wouldnt mind a general loot reduction if it meant no downtime.

Billy Lee likes this.
  14. Billy Lee

Team B Lifetime

I like a small bit of downtime, like a minute or two in between spawns, enough time to loot and maybe get a quick drink or whatever, but the respawn timers on the boss type monsters is brutal and excessive. I usually farm duo just to play with my brother, we get less loot but have a bit more protection and it's more fun for us than both of us going to solo spawns for extra profit. Either the spawns are far too hectic or far too boring due to slow respawns. I'd like to see more super spawns of large groups of monsters with those areas indicated on the map so groups can easily locate appropriate spots to farm. I know not everyone will agree with this but I hate it when big groups of monsters respawn extremely fast, like 5 to 20 seconds when killed with maximal efficiency.

As for predictability of loot, trust me, I guarantee it is extremely predictable to the point of it being almost identical for most spawns. Explosions of loot in most cases are not possible, which is boring.

15. GoodDoggie

GoodDoggie Earth Elemental

Character development is a much stronger motivator than gear acquisition.

Too late for the devs to realize that though.

The Red King, Fengor and Sero like this.
  16. Billy Lee

Team B Lifetime

I like both quite a bit. I think the dfo grind was too extreme and I don't mind the faster pace of RoA but I will say this, back when I actually needed champion elixirs I had a lot of fun and motivation and when I finally managed to cap out I missed having something to shoot for.

17. GoodDoggie

aint barely anyone out there farming for gear.

the world was popping for the first couple of months until people were basically done with their characters thanks to frontloading after which this game died, just as UW did after the first couple of months after everyone got enough prowess to max out the school they wanted to play.

In DFO the world remained active for 2+ years because people always had something to work towards, almost no one was even close to maxed before 24x gains.

Character development provides you with a permanent power increase, gear gives you a temporary one, and a very temporary one at that because of the full loot nature of this game, this coupled with the fact that the power increase you gain from going from a bone set bbolt to a infernal mage bag with cobra is so minor its not worth the extra effort.

2 guys naked with bbolts can kill the best player in the game in full dragon, thats how little gear matters in this game.

18. JasperHawkins

JasperHawkins Infernal
    Loyal Legend

Lol, sounds mad cause bad. "2 naked guys in BB can beat best player in the game in full dragon". No, not even close, best player in the game, or even just one of the better players could literally solo probably at least ten or so of the more average players in the game in day to day bags.

19. Billy Lee

Team B Lifetime

While that is all true, I really did not enjoy killing people with really bad characters or even fighting them, in dfo they could barely hurt a strong character. Once I was finally quite strong character wise I started winning a lot of fights really easily, it was no challenge in most cases, even 1v2 or 1v3 or 3v15, 2v8, etc. Character power mattered to an extreme degree, while in RoA it's a more even playing field, for better or worse.

20. GoodDoggie

Your mistake is assuming you are representative of an average player, while in reality youre representative of the bottom 1% worst players the game has ever seen.

Inkarnation and Janosh like this.