Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Let's talk about farming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Billy Lee, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Raap

Raap Gravelord

RoA succeeded at making PvE a solo activity. With scaling practically nonfunctional (capping at +1 mob on the 2nd wave) or outright disabled (golems, etc.), RoA PvE is completely non-viable to do as a GROUP or DUO, the loot is in all cases barely enough for one person. We checked a lot of mob spawns the past week and 90% are garbage in terms reward from a group PvE point of view.

I am told that before I started playing, mob scaling worked better. It seems I missed the boat on this, as right now it is a tedious anti-social activity, and I am struggling to motivate myself to deal with it, as I have been killing these same mobs since 2009, and the bolt spamming on damage sponges gets old.

Beyond that, as I mentioned before in my feedback thread and RoA discord: Selentine-tier materials are bottlenecked by a too low influx from PvE sources. For an entry-level material, it takes too much time to obtain it, and it cannot be group farmed. Insult to injury is people whom severely out-gear such spawns and not actually need those mats, are actively camping these spawns just to kill people farming there. These spawns (including Behemoths, Ancients, and Sages) need to be improved to support small groups up to 3 people. Or at the very least, these mobs should just drop more selentine-tier materials to reduce the AFK time needed to deal with respawn times to make a gearbag.

Speaking of camping: Alt scouts, likely due to freemium, are a New Dawn-level plague. Freemium accounts need an auto-kick that disconnects them after ~20 minutes of inactivity. It won't completely solve it, but it will make it tedious enough that more people will stop using scouting alts.

Edit: The other issue with the over-camping, borderline new player griefing occurring at selentine-tier spawns, has to do with the fact that these spawns are too centralized, and easy to camp or get to in a short amount of time. This camping can be seen as a blockade to the material influx as well since it is preventing a lot of these spawns from actually being farmed. The middle should be a focus point for high level PvE, not new player mobs.

#21 Raap, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Shieldbreaker and Billy Lee like this.
  2. GoodDoggie

GoodDoggie Earth Elemental

Well you can have an even playing field with no players because nobody can be bothered to log into a game where no one leaves their banks because there is nothing to do, or you can have an uneven but populated playing field because everyone is out grinding to gain an advantage.

If no advantage can be gained by putting in more time and effort no one is going to put in any time/effort.

It really comes down to whether you want an MMO or a fighting game, you cant please everyone and in trying to do so youll end up pleasing no one.

Like right now no one is pleased, the people who just want to play a fighting game arent happy because there is no arena for them to queue and as such its very difficult and slow for them to find any fights, and the people who wanted to play an MMO arent happy because theyre bored because they have nothing to work towards.

Slayven, Fengor and Billy Lee like this.
  3. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Varangian Warthane
    Team B Lifetime

@Raap Here are my thoughts on the selentine tier monsters:

1. it feels really bad to wait seven minutes and loot two selentine
    2. cooldown should be two minutes if it's going to stay at two to five materials
    3. the loot is bland, not a whole lot going on
    4. rare drops are far too rare, you'd be lucky to get anything
    5. I like fighting them and controlling
    6. minor hotspots

Regarding group non-boss pvp, there are some good spots but most people don't know they exist because it takes a lot of searching, and it probably shouldn't, super spawns should be visible on the map and more abundant. There is a massive beastman spawn in northern elf lands, for example.You can solo it but it's more efficient with two peoople or even three if we're talking about non-maxed/vets.

@GoodDoggie I do think some form of grinding should be introduced. One example would be rare skill books dropped in pve that give really small but nice bonuses like +0.1 archery damage, can use a max of 30 archery books.There could be books for each protection, damage type, etc. Good pve and village loot imo.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Shieldbreaker

Shieldbreaker Crypt Guard
    Benefactor

Solo farming should be more rewarding on the whole, since it is a lot riskier, both due to farming at lower hp, and not having backup when you get jumped, and higher chance at being outnumbered.

But there should totally be group PvE hotspots. Make 1-2 small dungeons have infinite, or at least brutal scaling, each spawn you clear gives +1 mob, up to like +10, with very small downtime. Bam, fantastic PvE spot and a hotspot for small scale groups.

As for progression, make titles/tasks give PvE bonuses. Instant near infinite progression, at no change to pvp.

Billy Lee likes this.
  5. JasperHawkins

JasperHawkins Infernal
    Loyal Legend

Looking for a wager tough guy?

6. GoodDoggie

Your statement was completely false.

You claimed a good player is capable of winning 1v10s against geared average players.

I dont know if you do hard drugs and as a result are completely out of touch with reality but everyone knows your claim is nonsense.

Maybe you just dont quite know what "average" means.

In any case it is abundantly clear your brain is mangled, I don't care to speculate whether its been that way since birth or if its a self-inflicted injury, but as a result of it I dont think replying to you any further is productive, and so I wont.
    --- Post updated ---
    1mil and tell me in advance which 20 pinger with more hours in the last month than I've put into the game since 09 youll have hopping on your char so I know what to title the clip when they end up in my pvp vid.

7. JasperHawkins

JasperHawkins Infernal
    Loyal Legend

Maybe thats how wagers work in your world. I would fight on my own but not for 1 mil, maybe 50k or something reasonable. That is probably too small of an amount for you considering you know in the back of your mind I have a pretty good shot at at least making you look bad, if not beating you at least one fight out of 3.

8. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

Oh boy here we go, I'ma have to break out the pink text on this bad boy.

Honestly BPG need to make a system that lets you comment on Mob spawn location in game and rate them with a thumbs up or down if they want to get an honest opinion of whats really going on. They should also track how much time players spend at each spawn location. Because I've found mobs that drop no gold but over 1000 gold in materials and die in 4 hits. To me this is an economics problem at its core, but it has and will be treated like a loot problem which only increases the problem in the long run.

9. KoKane

KoKane Celestial

Can you clowns take it to the nearest playground, or PMs? Nobody kinda gives a fuck here, thanks.
    3 x Mousewheel scrolls down the drain. These things have a lifespan you know!

@GoodDoggie
    Character progression did contribute a lot to player activity, but it wasn't any more meaningful.
    Progression is usually segregation in MMO's and the REAL game doesn't begin until you hit end game and become viable. Often at times, you end up playing through the early stages for nothing other than a time sink, before you can take part in the fun stuff.
    So I'd argue that in Darkfalls case, the activity should take place after the warmup/progression phase, i.e. Territory control, siege/conquest warfare, and any/all conflict revolving around those areas.

And in relation, I think the PVE should be useful to fuel what's needed for that (as it mostly is already)

10. GoodDoggie

What do you mean by this? If anything can motivate people to log in, gear up, and go out it seems fairly meaningful to me.

Usually MMOs have near endless progression, and anything amounting to an end game, a state where there is nothing left to work towards, is not intended to be reached.
    You hear ideas like this thrown around alot especially when talking about a game like WoW, where it can certainly feel like the game doesnt really start until you hit lvl cap, but this is simply because progression is extremely fast up until the lvl cap, which makes it feel less rewarding. Getting a piece of armour which will become obsolete in a few lvls, obviously doesnt feel as rewarding as getting a piece of armour you arent likely to replace until you move to the next raid tier which could be months away, even if you dont take into account the fact that a big part of what makes progression feel good is the comparison to your peers, being the first person in your friend group, or in your clan, or on the server to acquire an epic weapon feels great, but acquiring the same epic weapon when everyone else already has legendaries wont.

The progression, and gameplay dont really change when you approach the level cap, but it starts feeling more rewarding because it slows down and because it yields more status.

And what comes to viability its not like its a switch being turned when you hit lvl cap, just as when you were lvling you slowly become viable for more and more content as your power increases, after lvl cap you can't jump straight into raids, you must first work on your armour.

Clicking buttons is not inherently fun, its the rewards which make it fun, be it bragging rights or wealth or character progression.

If one has progressed to a point where there are no more rewards to acquire, one may find "fun stuff" isnt very fun at all; Hence why attending a raid you need something from is fun and exciting, but doing a raid which you need nothing from feels like a chore, but hey atleast youre getting dkp.

Conquest and clan content can be something to do for the whole clan, but I think youll find people enjoy working on personal goals much more than collective ones. Everyone is down to go kill a devil so they can get macro cash for the night, everyone is too busy to go zerg it down for clan funds.

My thoughts, now in vibrant colours!

#30 GoodDoggie, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Inkarnation likes this.
  11. JasperHawkins

JasperHawkins Infernal
    Loyal Legend

Still working on what color you are looking to dodge with? I reccomend blue.

12. partyroffe

partyroffe Goblin Scout
    Hero

I totaly agree with you. Farming should be a fun thing to do and not a pain in the ass/meh thing to do.
    Right now it feels like i rather play df simulator than go farming.
    Plz fix the farming.

Billy Lee likes this.
  13. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Respawn timers and linked spawns were there for a REASON in DF1

14. KoKane

KoKane Celestial

What was the reason?

I never liked Linked spawns

Nothing more useless than running to a mob spawn to farm, only to find its not spawning at all because someone else is farming the other one 20 minutes away.
    Fuck you for wanting to pve right now.
    What is achieved by that system? And why is it so important?

Imo it was weak attempt at economy control of rares, which would be totaly redundant in the end.