Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Let's talk about the balance between GS, GA, GC and PA

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Nat, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Is this what you're going to bring to the table? Petty insults and paper thin arguments? Your point basically boils down to 'The other weapons are good if you are good but everyone is bad except for me'. There's clearly a design problem somewhere if most people used Greatswords, and we're trying to figure out exactly what it is and possible solutions. If you have nothing else to add please stop posting.

PENETRATOR, zander and Australian like this.
  2. Kalos

Kalos Frostjarl
    Legend

I used greatclub from time to time just for the visual. If they were buffed a bit Id be very happy.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Nuyur

Nuyur Wildtribe Mage

He is right though.
    Bludg resist was lowest when wearing heavy armor.
    By quite a bit too (like 2~ points)...so clubs did do more damage than GS.

Both clubs and axes have higher magnitude rolls aswell.
    The only reason it doesnt matter is because there's a hard cap 1.01 (or was it 1.09? i forget)
    At any rate...greatswords were able to reach that cap (with hellraizers and good keen enchant).
    So at that point, you dont have a flat damage advantage over a sword with club/axe

Leg enD likes this.
  4. Ultra Combo

Ultra Combo Spellgazer

Why do we have to bring the speed DOWN... why not up the speed of the other weps you mentioned?
    --- Post updated ---
    I dont want to remove the knock back. I used pole arms specifically for counter play when someone was winning in melee. The pole arm was used to knock them out of range.
    --- Post updated ---
    I agree mostly with Marvin though that this should actually NOT be changed. It was fine the way it was.

Marvin likes this.
  5. Anthrax

Anthrax Goblin Warlord

Just do what I did IMO and ignore this joker Marvin. He literally 100% has not a single post or comment worth reading. It cleans up the forum quite nicely without his trash.

Try it you will thank me :)

PENETRATOR and Marvin like this.
  6. Marvin

Marvin Crypt Guard

Common sense prevails for some.

7. Ultra Combo

Ultra Combo Spellgazer

I agree mos
    I disagree I think marvin is making some valid points. He is just showing how enthusiastically retarded your ideas are by telling you... hey look man your a moron. I too sometimes get very excited too when dealing with stupid people on these forums.

8. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

I'm not saying my ideas are the best ideas or will fix the issue. I'm trying to start a discussion on the problem and have people throw around ideas and solutions. Instead it devolves into personal insults and denial. Like it or not there is clearly an imbalance with Greatsword popularity.

#28 Nat, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  9. Uzik

Uzik Wildtribe Mage
    Affluent Legend

I was largely a GA user since they were cheaper to buy and had better WW damage. The power attack was also amazing if you ever landed it.

Objectively speaking GS is by far the best weapon, though any sort of weapon changes would need to be done very carefully. My suggestion would be:

1) Create a "weapon score" based on dps, reach, arc, and power attack usefulness
    2) Play around with them until they are all equal
    3) Check in beta to see what weapons people are using and change accordingly

10. Action_Jackson

Action_Jackson Deadeye
    Hero

You dont have to look at the crafting costs, cause crafting will get an overhaul and recipes will change.

You have to balance arc,reach, dmg, speed in a way that every weapon is viable.
    I actually never used PA and people in general rarely used it.
    For 1h weapons I dont have an idea

11. Ginger Magician

Ginger Magician Wildtribe Mage

Was a sad day when polearms were nerfed in the original DF.I remember posting that they were now useless and was shouted down by the usual naysayers.Ofc within a couple of months only noobs ever used polearms again.Here is a screenshot where I was offering polearms for sale at about 10% of their crafting cost or something like that.There were no takers:

polearmsareshit.jpg

It would be nice to see a variety of weapons used in the game but whether ROA team have time to mess around with the stats for weapons I'm not sure tbh.
    Hilarious how whatever channel I posted in I would get similar reactions.
    All I ever did was kill people really what so bad about that lol.

#31 Ginger Magician, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    LordCaligular and Marvin like this.
  12. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Staff Member

I only used PA for Wirlwind after the nerf. id switch back to another weapon right after.

13. Johhny Mad Dog

Johhny Mad Dog Celestial

Lets all make them the same as eachother. Same goes for races. We should also make some classes.

mcdoogs likes this.
  14. mcdoogs

mcdoogs Chosen of Khamset

This. :kissingheart: Also really ridiculously tall walls

Johhny Mad Dog likes this.
  15. Ginger Magician

I don't think many people want everything identical whether its races weapons armour playstyles whatever.I certainly don't.
    But there was a issue in DF with people only using 1 weapon 1 type of combat and 1 type of armour set.
    Its a question of balancing.If some items are so obviously better than others in a competitive pvp game then ofc people will use them.

Marvin likes this.
  16. Marvin

Marvin Crypt Guard

another 10/10 post mate

17. Nuyur

Nuyur Wildtribe Mage

By 1 type of armor set...you mean bone armor, or full plate, or infernal, or dragon...
    Or just that people mixed equipment to fit their encumberance needs, while providing the optimal resistances at a rate they could afford.

And by 1 type of combat, you mean using magic and melee mostly. But some people replaced (most of) the magic with archery.

Actually dont answer that, its going to derail this thread and not result in any change of opinion.

Marvin likes this.
  18. Ginger Magician

@Nuyur No I'm not going to answer you.Your posts on this thread and others are some of the stupidest I have ever read and I don't think you have the intelligence to comprehend the meaning of my posts.

Marvin likes this.
  19. Marvin

Marvin Crypt Guard

don't mind ginger, @Nuyur he's just having a rough day

20. zander

zander Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

Polearms should go back to 0.20 speed; would make them useful as a main melee weapon again.

GA should have the reach upped to match GS - GS still will be better for stickybacking but GA will be able to compete with the range, higher damage less speed.

Not sure about GC, never used them, no idea what their range or damage was like just knew they were slow.

For one-handers i think we just need to see mounted combat made more accessible. I loved mounted combat when i could afford to keep the Q and E key bound to the leans (Only as destroyer). When mounted you should be able to double-bind 2 keys to be your leans so when on foot you can use Q and E for other skills. One handers only will be useful on foot if you could parry quicker between swings, but that drastically changes melee combat and wouldn't be a great idea early on.

Daggers......... little bit more reach or arc possibly would help. They were already deadly when people were stuck in tight spots or WOF however.

Nat likes this.