Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Loot distribution, unintended consequences...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Euchre, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Celestial
    Lifetime

I wish there would be more necessities added to certain monsters, so they'd always have a purpose. I really think the economy will be better if there are more market niches to explore. Akathars and windlords have lots of eggs, so they are going to be relevant forever, and that's fantastic. I hope to see more items and materials added to all sorts of monsters, then we'll have much more interesting supply and demand, especially if the resources are exclusive to those monsters.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Euchre

Euchre Goblin Warlord
    Patron Hero

And that's kinda the idea. Make more stuff relevant.

I don't believe that a server wipe will do anything but kill the game. I remember I think it was DF1 or maybe UW that they announced a wipe months ahead of time and the game literally died.

A wipe won't fix anything, the people who are in the know will be way ahead in a month and all that will result is people pissed and not coming back. A wipe would drive more players away than it would gain.

We need to bring attention to what keeps people playing. There is very little info out there right now on how to progress in this game, we need to retain the mid level players. Mid level is where they seem to get lost.

Slayven, rats, Nat and 1 other person like this.
  3. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Celestial
    Lifetime

I agree 100% about a wipe. I believe certain people consider it to be a great moment of excitement but most of those people don't play and will likely quit shortly afterward. Many loyal players would also quit after their banks were deleted and it especially hurts people with limited playtime. Population gains are best had by adding fun stuff to the game, especially things that require a decent amount of time to acquire/complete. Since grinding is no longer a major part of the game, the pve experience has to be. That's not to say that everyone must pve for the game to thrive, but pve is the #1 thing that *could* keep more people logged in, and that way everyone wins. It is important to see people out in the world harvesting, farming, exploring, etc. That includes both new players and vets farming all types of monsters, again, not everyone has to but opportunities should exist. Most of the current player base does not seem to care at all about lower tier monsters but they can play a huge role in the growth of the game and I have seen it in play on many occasions in dfo, roa, uw, and other mmos. Put simply, if a particular easy monster has no relevant loot, that hurts the game, but if it does, it helps a lot. Compare akathars to mercian brawlers and it's easy to see why.

Blaze and Leopold Stotch like this.
  4. Marxman

Marxman Black Knight
    Loyal

I don't think the issue really is that people aren't "catching up" with people who have been playing for years, I think it makes sense for people who have only been around a few months to have a lot less (and worse) stuff in their bank, the issue is that people with lower end gear and less experience are fighting people with the highest end gear and an insane amount of experience. What should be happening is mid-level people fighting other mid-level people, but the people at the top are so egotistical and bloodthirsty they come up with a million excuses why it's ok for them to regularly kill people who are not even near their level. They will either pretend the person isn't actually new, or they will act like having played 2-3 months makes you a bonified vet on the same level as everyone else etc etc. They will find a reason to justify their toxicity to themselves and their buddies who are doing exactly the same thing.

The solution to this doesn't lay with BPG patches, it lays with the community banding together to create a force large enough to beat them, even if that means zerging them down with 100 plebs, that is what they deserve and exactly what should be happening. Zergs always get looked at in an extremely negative light, but the only zergs that should be looked at in that way should be zergs of mostly top-tier players. Zergs of low-tier players should be expected and encouraged, not shit on and demonized.

I was speaking in general, I don't mean this specific change.
    --- Post updated ---
    I used to not really care about a wipe one way or the other but just recently I've came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be as bad as people say, maybe for certain groups but not bad for the game population as a whole. The only people who will be heavily impacted by this are people who nutcupped every fight to the point where they were able to flood their banks with good gear bags because they almost never die and the people like yourself who are off in some random dark corner of the world slowly amassing a fortune that nobody will ever really see or enjoy because it will just sit in their banks forever. I feel somewhat bad for the latter, I like to hoard things too, but for the former I think the game would be much healthier without them anyways.

Almost everybody else is poor as fuck with almost no gold and no bags lol, a wipe with a quick grind would only set them back a few weeks max but will put them on the same level as everyone else so it wouldn't actually matter.

Leo Woods likes this.
  5. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

A wipe will not happen but if it did those same vets you're complaining about will be back at the same spawns as noobs and blowing out their brains for free shot again.

Oresmacker, rats, Fengor and 2 others like this.
  6. Marxman

Marxman Black Knight
    Loyal

Yeah I'm not saying a wipe is important or necessary or anything, I just don't think it would be as bad as a lot of people think is all, not for the majority at least. And yes they will still get their brains blown out, that is why I also suggest they band together rather than trying to "be independent", which only gets them killed to the point of quitting.

A lot of these "loyal" darkfall players only care about quick and easy kills, not the game's longevity. Nobody should be catering to them, no matter how long they have been plaguing this game. If they were told by a GM god, "here is a giant mega-city that pumps out noobs for you to slaughter, but there is one noob you can't gank or I will shut down the game, his name is "TreeOf Knowledge." They would 100% gank him right away even if they knew for sure it meant the game would close, that is how bloodthirsty and careless they are.

7. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Celestial
    Lifetime

That's pretty inaccurate, allow me to explain why. I came from dfo and I used to work for 2-3 hours a day and then play Darkfall for many hours. I used to do a lot of sieges but I got bored of them and switched to mostly farming, which is where I got a LOT of pvp, often 5+ fights per day at contested spawns. It wasn't just the biggest spawns, it could be almost anywhere, pvp was a regular thing. I loved building my bank, grinding my character, and getting in a lot of fights.

Before RoA beta I injured my arms and that really affected what I was capable of doing. I played mostly the same way, but for less time, and I got a lot of pvp, it was awesome. Things kept up that way until spawn scaling was introduced, which made it really hard for me to physically keep up with the nonstop action, so I had to often farm smaller stuff, which used to get me a lot of pvp and good loot anyway. Pvp *really* died off at that point because banks were filling VERY fast.

I would still farm big stuff when I could handle it, and I always wore full infernal or full plate at minimum, as well as r70's and Q3+ enchants on all my gear, including the old jewelry which broke really fast. I never stashed away all my best stuff and hoarded it until I quit, except for things that were ridiculously expensive and I couldn't justify farming with, like full dragon or r80 weapons. If those things were viable to farm with, I'd have used them.

I took a break from RoA for about seven months and came back two months ago. I have the same playstyle and I farm mostly medium to large monsters and got zero fights during that time. It doesn't help that I can only farm for an hour a day and often I do have to resort to farming smaller stuff or big monsters in isolated areas because I'd rather not tax my arms further. I have never gotten to play RoA properly, but I do usually wear very good gear, have no fear of losing it, and I would be a lot more active and engaged in pvp if I could. I don't enjoy sieges and I've done a lot of villages in the past and got bored of them. My hopes for pvp are that the game evolves in a way that makes pvp more common at spawns and of course, arena. My playstyle is basically dead atm, not much I can do but keep playing and posting for stuff that leads to more organic pvp :p

As for a wipe, I do think that would kill the game quickly. I barely see any new players in my travels and I don't think a wipe is going to attract them or keep the ones we have now. All that would happen is a bunch of vets would come back, kill each other for a bit, and then quit, and the population would be at an all-time low. It is also extremely unethical to wipe the server when people have poured so much money into the game. No amount of finagling is going to make the people that keep the lights on, the customers, happy about a wipe, especially since it is a desperate gambit at best. There will be some exceptions, as always, but not nearly enough to jusfiy such actions.

Johhny Mad Dog and Marxman like this.
  8. Copperfield

Copperfield Black Knight
    Legend

i agree with this post..

might wanne add that the gear difference between a full q4 infernal bag and q3 fp bag.. has become alot bigger.

if you wanne be viable in pvp a cobra is a must.

9. Euchre

Euchre Goblin Warlord
    Patron Hero

Only when comparing similar skill players. In duels with people near or slightly above my current skill level it makes a huge difference. If they are significantly better, then I get stomped. As it should be.

The balance between gear and skill mattering is delicate at best. I won't even pretend to think I know where that line should be.

Slayven and Leo Woods like this.
  10. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

the difference between a cobra and a blackbolt is a couple points of damage (q3 bb vs q4 cobra, q5 is maybe 1 additional damage, what makes a bigger difference is the all around quality of the gear (q5 feather allows you to wear more heavy armor, q5 enchanted jewelry and stam and mana efficiency) and r60 q4 vs r70 q5 melee weapons.

Equal skilled players can still take some off each other with q3 gear vs q5, depending on how long the fight goes, who gets a nice magma combo, good melee transitions etc.

#30 Grimtide, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  11. Slayven

Slayven Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Very good post

Euchre likes this.
  12. kinglear

kinglear Black Knight

yeah i think when better players use way better gear thats where the true gear gap comes into play

Marxman likes this.
  13. Euchre

Euchre Goblin Warlord
    Patron Hero

Bumping this up, as a month later i think it's even more relevant than it was on new years.

We are seeing the results of this now in the market, and in burnout from clannies trying to farm stuff for good bags.

Inflation on certain materials is out of control, and the majority of the map is now useless PVE wise.

Haven't heard much from BPG lately, at all. Would love to see some of these issues corrected

Sero likes this.
  14. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Again, what we asked for, and what BPG delivered, were two different things.

We asked for:
    one or two HOTSPOTS, such as the Selentine Golem in DFO. You didn't need to farm the Selentine Golem to get Selentine, but it was the best way, and Selentine was the most versatile, yet most common rare ore. Now that recipes have been fucked with, and gear stats are less balanced, there's no going back to this accidental happy medium, but it's only an example of a hotspot for vets to find pvp with each other.

What BPG delivered:
    Centralized source of multiple crucial materials, of which there is no other source, funneling all players into one area, regardless of whether or not they're looking for PvP.

Euchre, Fengor and kinglear like this.