Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

loot variance makes mob drops useless

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by azealiabanks, Nov 15, 2016.

1. azealiabanks

azealiabanks Goblin Warrior

the loot variance added in the last patch makes it very difficult for new players to farm gear, and probably makes pve to farm high level weapons useless as well.

we have been farming r40 gs and r40 bows, and more than half of the weapons have less damage then a r0. I don't think I have seen a single weapon drop with high rolls on damage.

for example, damage on the last 10 r40 bows

we've been on the server for 2 days. Once our small stash of pre-nerf weapons dries up, I'm not sure what the plan is. Most likely will have to stop pve and become wandering papyrus gatherers, farming gold so we can buy leveling weapons from other players.

2. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Are you currently unable to turn a profit farming with pre-nerfed weapons? Mob drop weapons should be rendered useless in comparison to their crafted counterpart. The reason this change was done was because there was never any reason to craft anything other than "the best" because you could always just farm for free using mob dropped gear. Personally, i would rather see mob dropped gear completely removed than in the state it was nerfed down to. If its going to stay in game, i think it should only be nerfed 2-3 ranks down from what it drops. i.e a mob dropped r60 JB would never have the ability to roll more damage than say and R30-40 crafted sword. An R50 mob dropped dawnrazor would never roll damage higher than a R20-R30 sword, etc. Seems the current damage nerf pretty much made everything on par with R0's (first iteration of this change mind you so no doubt there will be some changes to it).

DeadlyHit and negocromn like this.
  3. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Benefactor Contributor Legend

Find someone that is leveling weaponsmith and see if they have some stuff to sell cheap. Or get mats together and have someone craft them for you. Depending what race you are I would be happy to craft anything you like with your mats. A lot of people have tons of r30/r40 stuff just laying around that they will give you.

Owyn Magnus, Grimtide, Kaurik and 3 others like this.
  4. azealiabanks

this is how pve loot was in dfuw, and it seemed the consensus was things were better in dfo. In dfuw, once people leveled, very few people wanted to pve because the loot was so bad, and I see this patch as a move in the same bad direction.

put what you are suggesting in context. who will want to pvp with r20 weapons? Giving us vendor trash items just makes us go through extra steps to delete things, the equivalent of a lowered drop rate. Even with a more moderate variance in stats, this change will create tedium. We will no longer be able to look at an item and know what it is.

Kwatos likes this.
  5. Zaffa Hex

Zaffa Hex Skeleton Archer
    Legend

I really can't imagine any existing crafters churning out R40s with diminished skill gains to sell to new players. Lets be honest here the current "crafters" on the server are just skilling themselves up and selling the by-product until they hit the level they want in wep mastery and stop selling alltogether! There isn't actually one single genuine crafter trader on the server - not a single one.

Just took me two days to find a crafter I could trust to craft my R60 weps on open market with my mats. And the only three vendors selling weps are a rip off. If its hard for me to get my hands on weps with mats and gold and bluetails, runes accross the map and time to visit vendors it wont be easy for a noob on foot with 0 gold, whose cheapest option is a 1.5k R50.

6. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

But thats the point. You dont want people to get their gear "fix" from killing mobs. Mobs are supposed to give you materials so you can either craft your own/trade them to a crafter so he/she can craft for you or sell the resources for gold to then buy weapons/gear from someone else. You arent supposed to be getting a completely viable end product as loot.

If there is a profitable market for it, then yes, they will craft it and will find buyers. Currently you are experiencing low beta pop, and a subset of them actually caring to be a "trader" in a dead market that will be wiped. If im a maxed crafter and people are continually buying low ranked gear off my vendor for more than it cost me to make it, why would i not continue to make and sell it? Even if im not maxed and im getting diminishing returns on the exp, im still turning a gold profit and getting some exp.

7. Zaffa Hex

Zaffa Hex Skeleton Archer
    Legend

This is what people always say but it is simply bullshit. Because very few to zero players play this game to craft and make proffit purely for the sake of making proffit. That is the point.

I have played this game with its highest population - it was the same. People don't want to waste precious mats crafting shit to sell for a few gold extra that gives them no gains.

The beta population argument is total cop out I am afraid.

You can make proffit crafting now, you always could - people arent interested in trading the time it took to gather thsoe materials for the marginal gold proffit.

Kwatos likes this.
  8. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

lol what are you even talking about. There are people who actually only play games to craft in them. They enjoy being a "crafter" and a "trader". I guarantee you will find people selling on vendors on launch. When they implement NPC city rented vendors, that fact will only become more prevalent. They arent "wasting" precious mats, they are creating an item and selling it for more than they would have had they sold the items in their raw form.

Grimtide and Fengor like this.
  9. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

i wonder if they will ever implement salvage.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  10. Cool hwip

Cool hwip Deadeye
    Hero

This also will confuse new players when they see 2 of the same item's so drastically different in damage.

Grimtide, Kwatos and Kaurik like this.
  11. azealiabanks

as a new player in darkfall, there is a sense of progression. Raising your stats and weapon skills, fighting harder mobs, getting better gear. It could be more efficient shooting goblins to raise my archery, but i was enjoying playing the game and farming more difficult mobs because the loot made it rewarding.

The alternative we are left with now might be to hit rocks and trees and grind my skills on afk players.

Kwatos likes this.
  12. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

They can just simply put in the tooltip that its mob drop and is of lesser quality.

13. azealiabanks

i played alot of dfuw and I consider salvage a failure. I salvaged so much shit, and got so little.
    I think this affects more than just new players.

Every weapon and piece of armor you loot (from pvp or pve) will have to be inspected to see if it has bad stats. maybe we were already doing this for durability, but it seems like a pita. My bank is currently a spectrum of r40 weapons, ranging in stats from r0 to r40.

Kwatos likes this.
  14. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Benefactor Contributor Legend

And you can't do that with crafted gear? I don't get it.

15. azealiabanks

I don't think a game like darkfall wants r50 weapons to be a sellers market

we want everyone to have access to cheap decent gear.

or, maybe you dont? How many hours of work should a player be putting in per gear bag?

Kwatos likes this.
  16. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

All you have to do is see if it has a "Maker" to determine whether its mob dropped or not. You dont need to look at any other stat on the weapon or piece of armor.

The thing about mob dropped gear is firstly, it snowballs the first people who are able to acquire it. Secondly, it devalues any player made gear r50 and below. Why would i ever buy crafted gear until r50 if i can just farm mobs all day that drop an R60 thats better and free almost every other kill? It should never take hours to acquire 1 simple gear bag. Im all for leaving mob dropped gear how it was, but, mobs shouldnt drop any gear higher than R30 or R40. That gives you access to more than enough gear requirements to do any sort of pveing in the game to acquire higher tiered mats to in turn make better gear.

17. azealiabanks

I am playing with a couple people and we were killing the mobs that dropped good gear for us (grey orks, ravens). The only reason we needed better gear was to kill the harder mobs that dropped better gear. Take away the gear drops, and there is no reason to play like this. You are left to focus on grinding gold and skill.

I guess my point is, this makes the game less fun.

Kwatos likes this.
  18. Dread Arsonik

Dread Arsonik Goblin Shaman
    Legend

Poor players can buy player made R20's than, I don't see your point?

19. Ateerix

Ateerix Goblin Scout
    Legend

I would agree the most with this.

I can fully understand why it would be beneficial to have mob dropped stuff have less durability, and less damage, but the amount that is taken off with this patch seems ridiculous. I'm pretty sure my starter weapons roll higher than some mob drops at this point (Still newish toon.) This patch makes it a lot harder for newer toons to sustain damage in PvE. I rely on the weapons dropped right now because I'm still poor. The bows I could get had .69 damage, and I still only did 10 damage to the undead dwarfs. Now the bows drop and it's like... .40 damage. I already had a tough time with the mobs, but this just makes it overly difficult. =(

I was excited when I read it because I didn't think it would reduce things so drastically, and instead thought it would just be a randomized number similar to how crafting can be a good craft or a bad craft. I thought I could get a good roll or a bad roll. Disappointing that this wasn't the case.

I feel like mob dropped weapons should be around .05 less damage than their crafted counterparts, and rank 60's just shouldn't drop at all from mobs. I wish they wouldn't have nerfed the lower ranks as much though, it's only hurting us newer toons/characters.

#19 Ateerix, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  20. Kaurik

Kaurik Crypt Guard
    Hero

Nobody wants to use crap weapons, period. Not unless they are specifically grinding for gains and want the lowest damage output. Anything under rank 50 is going to be garbage in the big picture of things, they can't defend themselves with rank 20s.

Kwatos and azealiabanks like this.