Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Making Polearms A Viable Primary Again

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Dak, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Bartlebe

Bartlebe Chosen of Khamset
    Loyal Patron Legend

They don't get a chance to see everyone running around with GS and not bothering to even loot anything else. "Totally balanced."

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

You see more GA and GH than PA by far as well.

Bartlebe likes this.
  3. Bartlebe

Loyal Patron Legend

They seem like they're in a good place now. I plan to use GA at launch because of its awesome power attack. Hopefully we'll see a lot more diversity.

4. Papito

Papito Goblin Scout

How important is the weapon's arc?

5. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Relatively important. Its the difference between the weapon feeling good to use or feeling awful. Luckily all 2h's have the same arc as greatsword if you want to call that a baseline with polearm having a better(more forgiving arc). Anything worse than greatsword starts to encroach into the "feels like shit" territory.

6. Mega

Mega Air Elemental
    Legend

Do you have the link where it says about weapons arc?

7. Bartlebe

Loyal Patron Legend

Does the PA power attack need to be changed as well? Doesn't it debuff worthless melee stats?

8. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Ill look for the patch post and see if it was there, but im pretty sure a dev posted that they were they same arcs, the difference in feeling came from their reach(excluding polearm of course). Ill edit if i find

Edit: @Mega Alright so here was the angles they touched in their patch notes, im assuming they also took 1h sword to be baseline as they did with the 2h's so they made the arcs the same. I am 95% sure i saw a dev say the arcs were already the same for 2h's (except polearm)and the bad feeling on the 2h's prior was a combination of the reaches of the weapons themselves being different as well as reaches from the actual races depending on where you looked before they fixed that as well. I dont remember what dev it was if im not just making up the info myself, but pretty sure.
    • Weapon Angle
    • 1h Axe: 40 to 60
    • 1h Club: 40 to 60

yea, currently its int/dex, should be str/quickness

#28 Super Star, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Mega likes this.
  9. pkpip

pkpip Goblin Shaman
    Hero

lol try meleeing someone in the back with a polearm.... you won't find it very fun, instead very frustrating when you knock them slightly out of melee range.... the weapon is useless.... aside from the occasional longer range whirlwind. Every weapon has been made viable except the polearm, in fact in got a slight nerf in ROA. remove the knockback, give .5 more attack speed, problem solved.

10. Bartlebe

Loyal Patron Legend

So they did normalize this somehow? Mahirims looking down dont lose a ton of reach?

11. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

I think the logic behind the power attack was that it nerfs your opponents ranged capabilities against you. It just doesn't last long enough to matter, making it a waste of time to even perform the power attack. Even if it was strength and quickness its duration isn't very long for the risk in taking the narrower arc and with front loading you would barely be doing anything to a end game characters dmg and swing speed anyways while being retarded OP early game. Also sithras are already a melee slow for power attack if i remember right and it seems kind of 'overlapping' to have a quickness debuff.

It would be interesting if the PA power attack became something else... like a casting speed debuff, a archery slow or a straight up mana damage hit.

12. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Yup exactly, they normalized it so looking down on mahirims dont lose any reach at all anymore. They actually had 2 fixes, 1 specific to alfars and females and the other was for all races, looking down on mahirim, etc.

PATCH NOTES 10/22/2016
    • Initial changes to fix some severe reach bugs that have been discovered - this mainly affects Alfars and female characters

PATCH NOTES 10/30/2016(this is where the height/looking down one was fixed, their dev pitcher spoke on it specifically)
    • Revamped melee reach range for all races/genders to properly scale with size

Bartlebe likes this.
  13. zander

zander Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

Did alfar reach get increased so its more viable or is it still t-rex arms?

14. Sorrow Avaritia

Sorrow Avaritia Obsidian Golem
    Hero

I didn't play beta that much, but when I did play I played with PA and GA, PA has its place, its not to bad for going into melee, hitting once then using WW and then going out of melee again, its also not to bad if you are trying to outplay your opponent in melee, however if som1 just runs at you left clicking you cant really do shit with a PA, the main problem is that you cant sticky back with a PA, all som1 has to do is jump and they are gone after 1 hit, and while PA might be good at lower levels without enchants because of higher damage, when you get to high ranks the speed of other weps just out weighs the damage.

That is the problem with weapons in general though, not just PA. As you get to higher rank weapons and high enchants, I think the speed on a GS is just better, if you are having a melee trade getting that extra hit off because you have a GS is going to be better than the little bit of damage you get from the other weps, especially at high ranks when that damage is barely noticeable.

I will say though given even gear, if you land a GA power attack you are at a big advantage. I think there needs to be something more than a little bit higher damage to make up for the lower speed melee weapons, than just a little bit extra damage.

15. Bartlebe

Loyal Patron Legend

Hopefully still T-Rex arms. One step closer to just straight up deleting those purple kids from Agon.

16. Vic

Vic Spellgazer
    Legend

There are exact numbers on race/gender reach somewhere, I think even in the patch notes.

But basically all reaches have been adjusted, don't know how the alfar works but for orcs/wolf they have the longest reaches but thats to compensate for having to look down so it all balances out.

17. zander

zander Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

:disappointed:

Bartlebe likes this.
  18. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

Alfar female is still the shortest, but even then its longer than the old alfar reach.
    Alfar male is the same reach as human female.
    Human male is very slightly longer.

zander likes this.
  19. Bartlebe

Loyal Patron Legend

20. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

The reach was fixed from what it use to be, but their melee is still the shortest. Even though the difference is really small, its still there and we all know with reach it is probably the most important, so if you are one to min max and really love pushing melee, you may not like the difference in reach and therefor not pick alfar.