Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Making Polearms A Viable Primary Again

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Dak, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

The example was exaggerated. The point of it was that a fishing rod is much more effective at catching fish than a club. Daggers would be much more effective at clearing spawns than a polearm would. But a polearm is a much better WW weapon than daggers would be. Some weapons are better than other weapons for certain things. So instead of saying polearms are bad in pve and wondering if it can be fixed, use a more appropriate weapon.

2. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

So people now have to follow your thinking and are not allowed to speak of things they wish could be different? and again every weapon in game is efficient at killing mobs and came up with some far fetched irrelevant post about fishing with a club, I mean if your just trolling fine but again your comparison was god awful

3. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

They dont have to follow anything, nothing i said was forced, but i dont think "using whats most effective to complete a job" is bad advice. Use whatever you want, but dont hint at something you want fixed just because for some unknown reason you cant just use a better "tool for the job". The comparison wasnt bad at all, the point i was trying to convey is the exact same, regardless if they are 2 completely different things. The whole point was comparing effectiveness/efficiency. If a monster is weak to something, why would you not want to use that to your advantage?

4. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

A fishing pole costs 20 gold, an r60 2 handed costs a large amount of gold, having to carry multiple is unfortunate, especially when rare materials are actually scarce. A mage using fire or ice magic to farm efficiently is not the same. Personally I think it would be nice if all melee weapons were good for farming and pvping, I think that's reasonable.

5. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Yup I agree and this was never part of the previous discussion this you just simple added later on after I called you out on your club fishing

6. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

There was nothing to call me out on lol, who cares what the example was, the point was about efficiency/effectiveness of one thing vs another, why did that go right over your head. Its not a difficult concept to understand, i hope.

7. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Lol I have had more logical debates with my young children. Oh and fyi clubin fish would be viable and a lot of fun

8. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Please consider giving Polearms power attack a much lower cooldown or making It's alternate attack a stab/thrust motion with no arc at all but good speed and reach like a Jabazon from Diablo 2

I want melee to have a higher skill ceiling and be more multidimensional

That means i'd also like parry changes similar to what New Dawn is did in their latest patch

Timed blocking:
    - Starting to parry will interrupt your current attack
    - When you start to parry, there is a 0.5s window where you will do a "timed" block/parry with maximum damage mitigation.
    - Starting to parry costs 4 stamina and keeps the character parrying for 0.3s.
    - After the perfect parry window, there is a 0.5s period where damage mitigation progressively lowers down to regular parrying values.
    - Perfect blocking a melee attack with a shield will cost stamina to the attacker proportionally to the damage mitigated.
    - Damage mitigation values are as follows:
    - One handed and shield: 80% timed, 50% regular.
    - Two handed weapons: 65% timed, 35% regular.
    - One handed alone: 50% timed, 25% regular.
    - Disabling blow and disabling shot:
    - Can only be done on a character that is parrying or has been parrying in the last 200ms.
    - Lasts 2 to 4 seconds and has a cooldown of around 8 to 10 seconds depending on weapon attack speed. blocking:
    - Starting to parry will interrupt your current attack
    - When you start to parry, there is a 0.5s window where you will do a "timed" block/parry with maximum damage mitigation.
    - Starting to parry costs 4 stamina and keeps the character parrying for 0.3s.
    - After the perfect parry window, there is a 0.5s period where damage mitigation progressively lowers down to regular parrying values.
    - Perfect blocking a melee attack with a shield will cost stamina to the attacker proportionally to the damage mitigated.
    - Damage mitigation values are as follows:
    - One handed and shield: 80% timed, 50% regular.
    - Two handed weapons: 65% timed, 35% regular.
    - One handed alone: 50% timed, 25% regular.
    - Disabling blow and disabling shot:
    - Can only be done on a character that is parrying or has been parrying in the last 200ms.
    - Lasts 2 to 4 seconds and has a cooldown of around 8 to 10 seconds depending on weapon attack speed.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  9. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

You have said you're only going to play this iteration for a couple months until ND comes out. They have already took into account 2 stupid changes u suggested and actually put them in game(ND). Why do you insist on ruining this version as well, especially considering ur leaving?

10. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Not worth my time to correct your ignorance

However, I love that i've managed to make you this butthurt without even trying LOL

11. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Oh im not butthurt, i just thought i would ask. I just dont really understand why someone who raves about 1 version saying its so great and that he cant wait to play, then they implement your exact requests, which logically should make you want to play it that much more, come over here to a version that you said you are only playing for 2-3 months, and ask them to make the exact same changes. It's just confusing.

12. pkpip

pkpip Goblin Shaman
    Hero

Glad I didn't invest any time into polearms.

Navlaan likes this.
  13. Umberto

Umberto Spellgazer
    Staff Member

The Polearm changes are currently on our test server. Will likely be pushed live with our next patch.

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  14. merkmerk73

merkmerk73 Earth Elemental

Anything for great clubs in that patch?

15. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

Nice I knew it was worth it to level polearm what now Jonah

Grimtide likes this.
  16. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

Jousting weapon for mounts

17. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

You know what else sucks ass with Polearms? Grinding their skill. Since they swing slower, they level soo much slower because the skill gain isn't based on their attack speed. I started grinding Daggers on lvl1 mobs, I was doing higher DPS than my mastery level greastword while using an r40 dagger. It only took maybe 4 days of a few hours here and there grinding on boss mobs to get Dagger mastery pretty high.

With polearms it's a fucking nightmare because you can't actually kill useful things with that kind of DPS.

Ogrinn and DarkGhost25 like this.
  18. Umberto

Umberto Spellgazer
    Staff Member

Changes to Polearm in the latest patch:
    • Polearms
      • Removed knockback from all Polearm attacks
      • Power Attack
        • Removed Dexterity & Intelligence drain
        • Added Strength & Quickness drain
        • Piercing debuff for 3.5 in the front
        • Duration 15 seconds

Swing and Scartissue like this.
  19. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

Sooo the question is
    Power attack gray axe into daggers or pole arm power attack into daggers..
    Do they stack.
    And does power attack with axes effect piercing I'll have to test hmmm..

20. Rune_Dragoon

Rune_Dragoon Goblin Scout

Can we get polearms back to .20 speed?

Korag likes this.