Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Making the new Armour Unique rather than prot / enc balance.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sorrow Avaritia, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

Rather than adding a bunch of new Armour just to have it be different protections and encumbrance ratings and then having people trying to balance protections and encumbrance like they do now it would be nice if it had some unique effects.

If it just has different protections / encumbrance it seems kinda silly to add, people are just going to go for the most protections their play style allows, which could render most new Armour completely pointless. For example as a mage If you can go a bone + a heavy mix and get similar protections and encumbrance to a robe, you are going to go full bone + heavy mix because it will likely be cheaper and you will likely have heavy / bone pieces already, making robes pointless.

This is why i think it should have unique effects rather than just different stats, so here are some suggestions (the numbers are just examples and could depend on tiers, also add your own to the thread if you have any):

Robes + Hood

• Gives a magic shield which protections against melee and or archery. This magic shield would have 2-5 charges and give good protections against melee / archery then breaks and recovers a charge every 20 seconds, allowing for a mage to trade a couple hits and get out of melee.
    • Gives hasten spells that either stacks with the buff or is better than the buff.
    • Increase spell damage.
    • Increase spell damage based on the previous spell you hit with, for example if you hit with a fire spell your next fire spell does increased damage, or opposing schools, so if you hit with a fire spell your next cold spell does more damage, if you use necro you next arcane spell does more damage and so on. (Would promote using a single school or 2 opposing schools for more damage.)
    • Reduce the cost of bolts.
    • Allow you to jump cast all spells.
    • Add projectile speed to all spells. (Stacks or you can pick up a different specialization to spells).
    • Give disabling bolt a small aoe.
    • Increases the unique effect of your staff, so elemental staffs do more element damage, necro more necro damage, could also increase cast speed if you using a cobra.
    • Increase AoE size.
    • Decrease in AoE drop off damage.

Medium / Leather Armour (Full set)

• Give 3 second range haste on arrow hit (25-100% of buff other effect).
    • Increase Arrow travel speed.
    • Decrease Arrow Arc.
    • Built in archery specialization so you don't have to take it or can take another one.
    • Allow for double jump with a bow out.
    • Reduces Stamina cost for jumping.
    • An AoE archery skill.

Heavy / Metal Armour (Full set)

• Gives a small stacking knock up resistance with each knock up for a set time.
    • Can only be knocked up once every 10 seconds.
    • If receive 200+ damage within 5 seconds get strong protection buff.
    • If receive 200+ damage within 5 get a 20-50 heal.
    • WoF has half the effect.
    • Reduced Cd of WW.

#1 Sorrow Avaritia, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

"Yo guys, lets fuck with combat."

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

Yea I get your point, they don't have a good track record of making changes to combat, but tell me whats the point in adding all these new Amours if its just going to be a different way to balance your prot / enc?

4. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Changing the old armor values and rebalancing or removing specialization and stuff along those lines I can understand the complaints, but adding new things? Nothing wrong with it imo, it keeps things interesting and fresh. New stuff is fun to get to know. By adding new things to the old rather than changing it it’sa loot simpler to get right.

#4 kilrain, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  5. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

I mean you saw what previous combat changes did, throwing more stuff into the mix will guarantee never ending balancing issues. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    --- Post updated ---
    To please the plebs while maintaining the integrity of previous combat (which I guess is already tossed out the window).

6. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

You never really answered my question though, whats the point in new Armour if its just going to be more of the same. Also while I dislike the current combat changes, it would be nice to have some more variation to combat.

7. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Whats the point of new armour if you can do everything you just said to the current armour and have the same effect with less development time?

The new armour gives the game a new look as well as fixing the decade old balance between the tiers of armour and its costs.

8. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

I guess there is that, but the only way you are going to force mage players to switch from bone to robes is to nerf bone Armour or give it higher encumbrance, its just replacing one with another. If you don't increase the encumbrance its unlikely that mages will use robes over bone + some heavy.

When I was looking at protections b4 it seemed like a mage would be using mostly bone + a few mastery leather pieces as that is likely cheaper than robes and similar protections.

9. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

Unique robe only enchants could provide some options like this as well.

10. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

IDK... I doubt they're planning on leaving current bone armour the way it is seeing as how it costs practically nothing and these new sets are going to have actual costs to them.

Current bone armour should be knocked down to "plate" status, and robes should be the full plate, infernal and dragon tiered armours for mages.

Also, if a robe set gives the same protections as current 3 piece infernal + bone mage set, but has 0 encumbrance, it opens up an enchant slot to replace feather with.

11. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

But realistically if they were equal how likely would it be that som1 uses a robe over 3 piece infernal with the likely cost difference, unless they increase the cost of bone, even then there is loads of it around.

12. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Varangian Warthane
    Team B Lifetime

I think it would be neat if hoods added something special, like a small bit blind resistance (reduces duration). For the robes, perhaps a small bonus to self healing. So robes would take the most damage but be able to stat better if they can survive. A fun leather bonus would be reduced AOE damage taken. Mix in specializations for support mages, long range archery, etc. There are lots of ways to balance the armors but these particular bonuses are at least somewhat new.

13. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

No, we won't leave bone the same. We'll either have it as you mention, where robes completely take its place or we'll have an advanced bone with a higher cost. It's most feasible to at least start with robes being the replacement just from a development standpoint and adding in the advanced bone later, if we do.

Sero likes this.
  14. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear :D

I hope everyone else gets it.

15. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

Please have the advanced bone option along with the robes for the hybrid, I really don't want to wear a dumb fuck robe. Nothing is cooler than a hybrid set, you will destroy the look of Darkfall if you chaNge it.

Why not have Robes = bonus to casting all spells - cant use 2H weapons - can use 1hand shield and 1 hand weapons only

Hybrid with new bone is as we have now

New Leather is bonus to archery speed? Damage? New Skills? Cant use 2 hand weapons - Can use daggers and 1 hand weps and shield

This way everyone happy????? You are adding to the game without fucking up combat = Everyone Happy!

#15 The Red King, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Johhny Mad Dog likes this.
  16. Degamra

Degamra Earth Elemental
    Hero

-Leather: Attack Speed increase (Melee/Archery)
    -Heavy Robes: Mana Regen + Buff time increase + Healing bonus
    -Light Robes: Magnitude (glass cannon)
    -Metal: Knockup/CC reduction

Make Leather/Metal able to mix armor sets, as well as Heavy/Light robes, and have the effects scale per amount of each set piece. Bonus's only for Mastery gear.

17. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

I agree that without these new armors giving new bonuses, they were basically a waste of time to create and implement @kilrain

Give leather extra stamina regen and ARCHERY attack speed bonus ONLY (NOT melee speed bonus that's too OP)

Robes and hoods extra mana regen and spell casting speed bonus (or damage)

Allow hoods to be enchanted

Bone new higher tiers with better protections but NO higher encumbrance and + mana regen and + stamina regen

Metal is probably fine as is and doesn't need a extra bonus but if you do add something to it then make it a small amount of HP regen.

Do NOT do something stupid with metal armor and make it OP by adding knockup protection or melee haste, it's ALREADY good because of it's protections and it's encumbrance NOT affecting kelee.

Remember melee is the strongest thing in the game already.

It would be retarded to be able to go full heavy and still do insane melee damage (oh wait that's exactly what Destroyer lets you do)

There's a reason in most games if you have the most tanking and defenses you have a damage reduction in melee and ranged as a trade off

18. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

You don't understen nothing from You re mistake?
    Maybe the only bonus you can add are :

Mana efficency for robes
    Stamina eff for arcers armours ( bow )
    Stamina eff for metal armours ( melee )

19. Johhny Mad Dog

Johhny Mad Dog Celestial

I would prefer to see new content like new pvp modes/events. There should be more then sieges and villages and it doesn't even have to be instanced. Others and I have mentioned all kind of events that could be fun and trigger pvp. This would make vets happy and atcually bring some life to the game.

Instead of things that going to alter the combat and playstyles? That route hasn't given the best results in the past.

20. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Let's get some shark mounts added before armor effects please.

Sero likes this.