Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Market Teaser

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kilrath, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

Completely missing the point though the champion themselves are not new content, the rewards are, but come on its not like they are anything spacial and should have been in a long time ago.

My attitude comes out of frustration more than anything though. I really like Darkfall but many of the things both RoA and DND have done, I dislike. Just wish the game had a good population.

Like I loved the random pvp encounters and raiding cities. RoA has completely gone away from that towards an arena type game where people sit in npc cities waiting to port to villages (arenas).

Also everything was so easy to get it kinda made the full loot part of it which I loved almost pointless.

2. Frog

Frog Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

this is exactly what we're all saying, the rewards are new content and they give added meaning to champs. i'm glad you're at least willing to admit that the rewards are content

i also wish the game was in a better state, especially in regards to clan politics/conquest but I don't see how it's helpful to pick on the champion changes/additions when they've been overall positive

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Grisvok

Grisvok Skeleton Archer

I kind of understand the content complaint. I think years of guided mmos makes me associate content with new monsters/dungeons/abilities/raids. Maybe a dev could comment, but I’m curious as to what kind development time it would take to even add a new monster?

onslaught likes this.
  4. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Staff Member

Animations are the hold up for new mobs.

We are still working on getting new animations in. First things will likely be small animations just to learn the system.

Grisvok and onslaught like this.
  5. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Everything is heading in the direction of activities to do in the world which will result in more people in the world. Territory control will give building, expanding and destroying territories meaning, politics will become a real end game. Markets will open up crafting and trading, we also have plans to expand and build a new traderoute system and add new pve adventure content, a new dungeon, new lore based collectibles, new and INTERESTING quest system as well as dynamic quests, trophies, expanding boat content, etc etc. Then there's factions for daily ongoing wars, new perk system to drive true diversity and a whole host of social activities including card games and tabletop games.

As we start getting more and more of these ideas in action players will have lots of single use, repeatable, pvp, pve, lore and social activities. We're at a stage now where we are finally able to do heavy focus on content. We'll remove the final big pieces of tedium as well such as gearing up, making/changing binds and asset management(Bank sorting/management tools).

Lastly we're going to spend likely 2 major back to back patches on just qol, gui, npe and tutorial revamps after markets, territory control and perks (In that order). This is in preparation for switching to a freemium business model we feel is the best way forward.

This is going to be combined with a more concerted marketing effort because we will have finally addressed properly the entrance troubles to the game for new players. Our acquisition costs will be sustainable we expect at that point. I understand frustration waiting, in a couple weeks markets will bring in a rush of pop, than control towers will bring in clan wars, then perks will bring in rpg players. If trends continue you should see the pop you desire in one of the next couple patches.
    --- Post updated ---
    Everything except animations is pipelined and not difficult, animations we expect to not be too problematic it's just a matter of sinking time when it's appropriate, ahead of animation dependent new features next on the priority list. It likely won't be long and we'll be starting to test the waters there in between other big content.

NonFactor, Argast, Nat and 4 others like this.
  6. Grisvok

Grisvok Skeleton Archer

Ah that’s interesting. I don’t know much about game design. Could you explain the struggles with adding animations? I’m just genuinely curious.

7. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin

The exporting system used to put assets into dfo is ancient, operates with now unavailable software and some source assets were lost over the years dfo sat offline. Resulting in needing to update the conversion tools to modern friendly tools to export into the format needed and reverse engineering animation assets from the current game.

That's the best I can explain with my limited programming ability. It's not a "blocker" or anything that can't be done, simply that we need to devote an unknown amount of time of our primary game devs to it which would halt current plans in the works that don't require animations currently. In short it's not worth the dev time till we're a bit closer to needing it.

Kilrath likes this.
  8. Azdul

Azdul New Member
    Supporter

I admire honesty of announcing switch to freemium model well in advance, but it doesn't encourage new people to try RoA right now. The waiting period after announcing and before switching has most of disadvantages, and none of advantages of freemium model.

#128 Azdul, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  9. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Did you read my thoughts on a new trade route system? Open markets and a constant source of trade routes could provide players with a whole new way to play the game which could be a great thing for new players and existing players. It would be a style of play for those that want something to do with a chance for PvP rather than having it guaranteed.

Fengor likes this.
  10. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin

We try to be as transparent as possible, it's a promise I made to the community almost over 2.5 years ago when this project initially started. You are right that it's a touchy subject to announce it ahead of time but it can generate buzz as well. As an indie developer any buzz can be good and with the game time tokens people can play for free right now.

11. miasMa

miasMa Varangian Warthane
    Benefactor Legend

ETA on markets release?

Fengor likes this.
  12. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Infernal
    Wealthy Legend

Wow just read up this point. This is why we can't have a decent population...

13. miasMa

miasMa Varangian Warthane
    Benefactor Legend

@Andrew @kilrain @Kilrath @Anyone? I plan on resubbing for this release, nothing solid needs to be put down but if you have a basic timeline of when you want it to be done that would suffice. I may sub sooner if the timeline isn't that far out... Shit, it'll save me money from going to the bar all the time to sub sooner lol

Circa likes this.
  14. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

Hi @miasMa

We expect to have the market system on the Public Test Server in the coming days. Once we get some public testing done and knock out any issues that may arise we will be ready to release the patch. I would say we should be good to go in less than 2 weeks.

miasMa and Billy Lee like this.
  15. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Initial goal was end of the month. We're very close with just a few things to tidy up. Well put it up in PTS this week while we finish up bugs and polish a few things. Once we're happy we'll put it live. Not long now.

miasMa, NonFactor and Billy Lee like this.
  16. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster
    Staff Member BPG Representative Lifetime

We have been testing the market quite extensively and it's really well designed, in my opinion. I think it's going to be really fun to use on the live server and I'm very curious to see what item values will look like then. Being able to create buy orders if going to be amazing for the game and many of the market features are very slick and convenient.

Balsm, Argast and Andrew like this.
  17. Balsm

Balsm Goblin Warlord

market mayhem

18. Thug Life

Thug Life Gravelord
    Hero

Will the market show past sale histories for individual items? Like, the last 20 sales for example

I would be nice to see roughly what an item sells for in cases where only one of them is up for sale at a potentially ridiculous price

Billy Lee likes this.
  19. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Not initially, but we are keeping history so we'll be able to show market trends (see: Eve Online)

Kilrath and Billy Lee like this.
  20. Kilrath

Kilrath Goblin Shaman
    Developer

A key feature, the Text Filter for the item filters, is acting up. It works perfectly on local builds but the internal build doesn't work. Just one of those little gremlins that make it take longer to sort out the issue and a few smaller details left.

Its only the initial release of the market but we are trying to make it as easy to use and feature packed as possible in the time we have. Lots of little QOL bits and pieces have been added as testers have played with it that integrate into the market a lot better then originally planned. It might take a week or two longer than expected but i think its going to be well worth the wait personally. I can't wait to see how it performs when players are moving a ton of orders through it. :)

KingLlama likes this.