Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Most Over Hyped Players in Darkfall History

Discussion in 'Memory Lane' started by Dim Mok, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Finnad

Finnad Air Elemental
    Legend

Truth is there was rarely ever a 'best' and certainly not now. There were outstanding people at certain times during the early/mid development of the meta e.g. Fusion on EU, Enyx on NA so I hear and Luck brought a lot to the table on NA as far as destro play and I respect that - he made it work. Currently the meta is stale, fully developed and there are more people than ever close to or at the 'top'.

Dim Mok likes this.
  2. Viiltaja Jackki

Viiltaja Jackki Goblin Shaman

I read it full. Seems like you didn't do the same. It's not any kind of estimate when some really good pvper can have almost negative kill death ratio when he has only played against top players when some bad pvper can have very good k/d ratio when he has mostly played with players that ain't very good. I wouldn't give any value for k/d ratio when considering is some one good pvper.

It's not even close to 100% accurate, it's more like 30% accurate since there are people that want to fight all the time guys that are better than you to improve your gaming and then there are guys that don't want to fight at all guys that regularly beats them since they can't stand the defeat and so they mostly just fight players that are worse than them. This makes k/d ratio greatly misleading.

#82 Viiltaja Jackki, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  3. Viiltaja Jackki

Well I've stated why your reasoning is flawed but you are not saying anything that would make your view valid.

But one more time I explain to you why your idea of k/d ratio is stupid and please come up with argument if you disagree.

There are guys with very good k/d ratio since they have mostly played against players that are worse than what they are. They ain't all that skilled yet they have very good k/d. Then there are guys that have spent most of their playing time fighting players that are very high in skill and for this reason he might even have negative k/d ratio. Yet if you would put these two guys to fight each other the guy with bad k/d ratio would beat this guy with great k/d ratio since that doesn't mean anything because it can be greatly misleading depending on what style the players have played.

And that 30% wasn't put there for me trying to argue that I know the percentage but rather just put out the fact that k/d ratio can be completely misleading and giving no real estimate of some ones skill level.

4. otoan

otoan Undead Dwarf
    Loyal

Just to add to the list:
    My clan used to idolize Turd Burglar. I know it wasn't really a global thing. I think most people realized his character won him fights.
    Val Roth. Same as above. All character. Couldn't adapt to a slightly higher ping.
    Magnetic Man. First time I saw him I beat him 2/3. And I'm not even that good. He posted a video of the one he won.
    I'm not sure what, if any, exploits Itwas Luck used. I'm pretty sure he had several he used that he kept low key. The gamma fix to ignore confusion was probably just one of them. I don't understand how he fizzled less in his videos than I did with 0% encumbrance.
    Zorak definitely was terrible. He was some what good with the mount but I remember just like dodging his melee while in range and just straight lining away knowing he'd miss his arrow.
    I didn't play EU. When I did meet Shuyin Hail and Kyky, I wasn't impressed. Maybe they just adapted to the game more and their learning curve was shorter.

Most underrated players
    Kesl Vrys. I don't even think that guy was trying half the time but he was great. Definitely thought he was better than Shado honestly, Spades. I remember dueling Shado a few times and beating him a good amount in the early days of DFUW (the only time I ever played with him). He was good but I wouldn't say he was consistently amazing for the short amount of time I played with him. Kesl Vrys consistently played well even when he was just half assing it. Itwas Luck wouldn't fight him. He beat the loud mouth players that acted like they were the best all the time.
    Fatal Event. A lot of people claimed to be the best water fighter. But this dude was hands down the best water fighter in the game when he was playing. He beat all the top water fighters. Would consistently 1v3+ top guilds in the water. No one could touch him.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Dim Mok likes this.
  5. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Kesl was a very good player. However he wouldn't be the one getting mass kills, or the one pushing melee recklessly, or the such. He simply ensured that the ones that were pushing hard melee were supported, he manipulated the fight at opportune times, and understood cause/effect. Many people are concerned with getting kills, he was concerned about the group staying alive.

He didn't try hard in duels pretty much ever unless it was serious, but not many people in the game played like he did.

Even though we were all "the same" in Darkfall, if everyone looked identical, I could easily pick out who was Kesl in a fight.

Using DF:UW as a basis of who was "good" or "bad" with all of it's weird hindrances/classes/etc is pretty hard to discern.

Here is a video of Kesl/Shado+others beating some elitests.

Adûn and Dim Mok like this.
  6. zaxxon123

zaxxon123 Dire Zombie
    Supporter

Im just happy to be on some kind of a list <3

Phorr and DemonicEcho like this.
  7. Viiltaja Jackki

Here is your original post. Now please read it tour self again. You see the part where you claim ones k/d ratio determines if he's better or worse than other player. Understanding this don't take much intellect. Now if you read my post you clearly see how I argued why that is completely flawed theory and holds no value. Only one here that ain't getting the facts it's you.

8. DemonicEcho

DemonicEcho Goblin Scout
    Supporter

Over Hyped? Dis Niggah is da real deal holyfield!

ok Im done talkin gangsta now!

9. Adûn

Adûn Undead Dwarf

As Spades illustrated with Kesl's example, there were a lot of good players out there who excelled at different things in different ways, yet most "elites" tend to only consider slayer-type players of any consequence. Were guys like Kesl 1v1 gods? That's completely beside the point. Truth be told, if the game simply were deeper, players with niche playstyles would be that much more abundant and their contributions that much more apparent. One day, maybe. Oh and I still feel awful about a stupid argument I got into with Kesl in off-topic like 4 years ago. He was a super good dude. If you see him Spades, tell him Adun's sowwwwy!

Btw, Taste Vengeance was a very under-hyped player as well. Evon Debourgh (sp?) too, who was legit the most humble (not the cringey fake-humble that tons of kids try to pull off here) gamer on the planet. To be honest, if you didn't make videos, no one really knew who the fuck you were, which is not how it should be.

#89 Adûn, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Clarence Swamptown and Dim Mok like this.
  10. Viiltaja Jackki

Point out the flaw.

What in this is flawed? There are guys with better K/D ratio that play worse than guys with worse K/D ratio. You claim K/D ratio would show wheter some one is better than other. This is not true.

More boggling is that you always try to say there is something flawed with my argument yet you can't point out what there is flawed ;)

Your idea of K/D ratio telling weter some one is good or bad at pvp is just complete unreliable way of determing anything. Yes it can give correct indication of some ones skill level but also can be very misleading on the next one - there for holds no true value.

"If he did as well as he says, his KD ratio even with the noise factor should be better than mine or yours. with our noise factors." Here is your statement one more time.

And no this would not tell wheter you were better than him in pvp even if you would have higher K/D ratio. He could have been fighting mostly guys that were top tier players and there for had close to 1/1 kill death ratio when you could have fought mostly guys that were average or below in skill level and there for have very good K/D ratio. The way to tell wheter you were better than him would be dueling 30 fights and seeing which wins more of those fights. And ofcourse this would only show which one is better at 1v1 situation. Other one could still be alot better fighter in group fights.

And don't take this example too literally and come saying you've only fought top tier players etc. I don't know you so its just example showing the flaw in your thinking. Since there were and still are guys that play with people that are alot worse than they are and they duel and practice together and there for get very good K/D ratio but when they are put against top tier players they loose every time.

#90 Viiltaja Jackki, May 3, 2016
  11. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Will do, Kesl and I are IRL friends as well.

12. Dim Mok

Dim Mok Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

@_@ ^ this guy

It's like talking to a wall. You don't want to admit to your mistake, and now are just flailing about.

In my original post, the one you quoted, and many others stated the same warnings..."one gauge, not 100% accurate, outliers, etc..."

Yet, here you are. You half read it, came to some wild conclusion and don't want to back down. The fact that you keep trying to put words into my mouth, and change the subject matter into what you want is what's mind boggling.

TLDR: Stop derailing the thread, if you truly want to understand you can send me a private message because I will not be responding to anymore of this in this thread.

#92 Dim Mok, May 3, 2016
    dooty likes this.
  13. Viiltaja Jackki

Well it's clear you won't bring anything new to conversation and again you can't point out flaw from my argument which is understandable since its true. And I never put any words to your mouth i took direct quotes from what you wrote.

And i stated in my posts why your noice factors and outliers etc. won't cut it in how wrong idea of some ones skill level mere K/d ration can give. Which is the reason why K/D ration isn't a valid way to determine wetter some one is good or bad at pvp.

But i agree no point continue this conversation. I settle my case. Every one can read what you wrote and what i wrote and make their own mind on who writings makes more sense.

Happy huntings and cya on the battlefields.

(I have the exact same feeling about the wall part :) )

14. Escape Velocity

Escape Velocity Deadeye
    Hero

wat.

Looks like a ...4v5? uhh, nice?

#94 Escape Velocity, May 3, 2016
    Fengor likes this.
  15. Obeesho

Obeesho Black Knight
    Prosperous Affluent Legend

He said " itwas luck wouldn't fight him".

bmurph101, Fengor and Escape Velocity like this.
  16. Escape Velocity

Escape Velocity Deadeye
    Hero

WAT

bmurph101, murk, Fengor and 1 other person like this.
  17. Viiltaja Jackki

I kinda said it already in the post ;) Maybe you should have read it more closely. Here is quote from the post you seem to have missed.

"But i agree no point continue this conversation. I settle my case. Every one can read what you wrote and what i wrote and make their own mind on who writings makes more sense."

So yes we can leave it at this and there is no need for name calling - arguments speaks louder than insulting. And by all means you can pm me explaining in full detail how im wrong if you feel it's impossible to write it here for every one to see.

Happy huntings.

Dim Mok likes this.
  18. otoan

otoan Undead Dwarf
    Loyal

There were several times when you and Kesl would meet and he'd just prioritize melee slow and quickness debuff on you and you would just refuse to fight him. We would always get a good laugh about it in vent.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also, you can tell him I still remember how he lost that bet about when DFUW was going to be launched and he still owes me for that. He can repay me in RoA as easily as DFUW.

19. Escape Velocity

Escape Velocity Deadeye
    Hero

don't remember this. I probably bunnyhopped away to rest the fight and he probably refused to chase me or some shit.

You're delusional if you're trying to argue kesl fucking vyrs was better than I was.

bmurph101 likes this.
  20. Finnad

Finnad Air Elemental
    Legend

Classic

BraP eX likes this.