Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Mount Fighting

Discussion in 'New Player Tips & Tricks' started by Sevenzx, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Sevenzx

Sevenzx Goblin Warrior
    Tester

Another request for help from experienced players!

I would appreciate some insight into how to mount fight effectively. I've seen recent streams from Zorak War who is very good at mount fighting, but he is reluctant to share detailed tips/tricks with other people.

Anyone care to share some basic, intermediate, and advanced tips for mount fighting? Thanks.

EDIT: I found a post from the old Darkfall game that has information about mount fighting. Please feel free to add or correct anything as the information could be outdated. Would also appreciate any advanced tips that might not be included in this post:

Part II: Mounted Combat

VI. Mounted Combat Basics...(guide006)

Mounted combat is a powerful tool for use in Darkfall combat. This is true for one reason: insane damage. First of all the 200% damage modifier on mounted swings means that you can easily hit for damage cap with a decent weapon and high one-handed mastery. Second, since transmutes count as two separate damages (weapon dmg + elemental dmg), you can technically go beyond the damage cap when attacking from a mount using a nice transmuted weapon with high one-handed mastery.

A disclaimer: I am by no means a mounted warrior, but I have quite a bit of experience fighting against mounts on foot. Without further ado, the basics of mounted combat:

There are four different types of attacks that can be made from a mount and they are as follows:

1. Frontal Swing: A very useful attack, this is what you'll be using most while on a mount. It can hit someone riding on a mount instead of the mount itself and is the fastest attack you can perform on a mount. It does damage to a pretty wide area in front of you, around 90 degrees. You can perform this attack by swinging your sword on a mount while moving forward or turning. Note that since the frontal swing has a knockback effect, some mounted players are able to "juggle" enemies on foot, by knocking them back and hitting them with a second and third frontal swing before they are able to land and evade.

2. Lean-Swing: This is where you lean left or right as you swing (done by pressing the appropriate lean button). It can't hit a mount-rider unless you jump to position your strike higher. Normally it will just hit the enemy's mount. However it can be used to hit your opponents who are on foot, if they are positioned to either side of you. There is a handly little bug where you CLICK first, then you press the lean button afterward. I don't think it's quite what was intended with mounted combat, but since you can adjust the direction of your swing after the fact it is a pretty big advantage you should take advantage of.

3. Frontal Mount Attack: I haven't seen many people use this attack. It's slow, doesn't take your weapon damage into account, and can only be done by attacking on a mount while standing completely still. It is in every way inferior to a frontal swing.

4. Backwards Mount Kick: This is an attack performed by clicking while pressing back or back/turn on a mount. It's slow and doesn't take into account your weapon damage. It does cover your backside, and if someone is chasing you on a mount, you can jump + backick to hit your opponent directly. The radius of this attack is smaller than the frontal swing, at 50~70 degrees radius.

Note that Frontal Swing, Frontal Mount Attack, and Backwards Mount Kick all have a pretty decent knockback effect attached to them.

There are a few key things you must learn in order to be effective at mount fighting. Make sure your 'lean' keys are easily accessed. Become comfortable with switching from one type of swing to another with ease.

VII. Maximizing Mounted Combat...(guide007)

Mounted combat is something of a controversy in the Darkfall community. Just like magic used to be, there's a bunch of people saying it's broken and a bunch of people saying it's fine. This section is going to explain to you how to equip yourself to make it look broken to all the people you're going to gank with mounted combat.

One-handed mastery at 50+
    Heavy Armor
    q3 one-handed transmute OR
    r50/r60 keened one-handed weapon
    2 or more Battlehorns in your backpack
    few pots for regen

There are some people out there who run around with 3 battlehorns in their backpack and a fourth one they use to ride into combat. As soon as you take down their mount, they'll pop another one and keep on fighting.

A formidable tactic to be sure, but there are limitations and ways to counter it.

VIII. Countering Mounted Combat...(guide008)

Automatic cover in the form of a Battlehorn, ability to spawn multiple mounts in a fight, ability to break the damage cap... it may seem a bit unfair, but mounted combat has several disadvantages.

For one, you sacrifice a whole lot of mobility by fighting mounted. Mounts turn slow, and they turn wide. Secondly, you must sacrifice 3 out of 5 self-heals while on a mount; one of the 2 remaining heals has a ridiculous cool down (Rage). A mounted fighter has no ability to regain stam besides through chugging potions, and no ranged attacks at all. Finally, mounts are limited by certain terrain; if you can gain a terrain advantage against a mounted opponent, you can force your opponent to run or dismount.

Successfully countering mounted combat requires you to be patient, and take advantage of all the limitations of mounted combat.

The core philosophy of fighting on foot vs. a mounted opponent remains the same as foot vs. foot. Burst, dodge, heal. Minimize damage taken, maximize damage dealt.

Before I start on the specifics, a preface: this section assumes you are on foot fighting an aggressive mounted opponent, and that the two of you are a short distance away.

1. Bursting against Mounted Enemies: By far the best way to do this is using archery and sniping the rider off the mount. Take advantage of the fact that the mount rider cannot turn quickly. Compared to an opponent on foot that knows how to dodge arrows, mount riders are easy target for your arrows. Another way to burst against mounted enemies is by using a melee weapon. Whirlwind will hit both the mount AND the mounted rider. You can also attack the rider with a melee attack by jumping before swinging your weapon. I don't recommend this because jumping of any kind reduces your mobility (by forcing you into a predictable trajectory). Against a competent mounted player, you want to stay as mobile as possible at all times. You can also use magic but since many mounted players are destroyer specced, I don't recommend you take out a staff to do anything but heal.

2. Bursting against the Mount itself: When dealing with a mounted fighter you're going to have to assume you'll face a battlehorn and more than one, so I strongly recommend you focus on the rider rather than the mount. However, taking down the mount itself has some advantages. For one, it is much easier to take down the mount than the rider for one crucial reason: the mount has a "blind spot" that you can stick to as long as the mount isn't running in a straight line. As long as you are in this blind spot, you're free to melee-burst the mount without fear of being hit. If the mount begins to run from you in a straight line, quickly get a backshot or two on the rider/mount with your bow. The mount has two blindspots, directly to the left and right of the back of the mount. if you remain there, the mounted enemy cannot touch you.

3. Dodging Mounted Enemies: Unlike the traditional on-foot engagement, dodging a mounted player is probably more important than bursting one (although again, you can't win by dodging or healing alone). Due to the high damage potential of the mounted fighter, taking more than 3 hits from a mounted fighter almost certainly means your doom. A mounted enemy will most certainly ride straight at you in order to attack you, only adjusting their trajectory as you attempt to dodge the mount. At the right time, pick a side and begin sprinting in a loose circle around the mount.

If timed and angled right, you stay just out of the mount's attack range and end up near the mount's blind spot, EVEN IF the mounted opponent is doing his best to turn towards the direction you are circling. This movement pattern takes a bit of practice to pull off consistently, but once you get into the rhythm of things it becomes pretty easy.

The biggest thing here is patience. Especially when dealing with a battlehorn and Alfar combo, it can take a lot of dodging before you're able to successfully burst the rider down.

Protip: At first practice dodging with a melee weapon out, so that you can visually see the mount as you attempt to dodge it. It'll help you understand the mount's turn radius and reach, and the angles at which you should attempt to dodge.

3. Healing against a Mounted Fighter: It's the same as healing any other time. The only difference is you MUST be able to heal and dodge at the same time. Make sure dodging and healing are both second nature to you when attempting a heal-cycle against an aggressive mounted opponent.

4. Miscellaneous Tip: In close range against a mount, don't jump. In such a situation you absolutely must be able to make abrupt turns at any given moment. Jumping makes you predictable and takes away your most important advantage against a mounted fighter: maneuverability.

Let's review:

To win against an aggressive and skilled mounted fighter, you must dodge first and burst second. Remain calm, focused, and wear down the rider's health (remember, his ability to heal is limited). Don't burst longer than you need; every succesful dodge should give you the chance to plug around 2 arrows before you dodge again. Don't get greedy and burst instead of dodging, or you will find yourself back at the bindstone in a flash.

Again the pattern is: Dodge-->Burst/Heal-->Dodge-->Burst/Heal-->Dodge-->etc.

Optionally, you can get real good at bursting down the mount. If you are patient and precise even several battlehorns will go down quickly. Just remember that if you decide to take down the mounts instead of the rider, you will have to finish off the rider on foot, who may very well be at full health.

Realistically, you'll end up doing a fair amount of damage to both the mount and rider before deciding on which to take down first.

Whenever possible, go for the rider instead of the mount.

#1 Sevenzx, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. MerleisAirdburne

MerleisAirdburne Black Knight
    Supporter

Zorak is good at Mount fighting because he abuses an exploit that allows him to hit to a side and the front at the same time. It's also hard to parry those type of attacks

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Sevenzx

Sevenzx Goblin Warrior
    Tester

If I understand correctly, there is the ability to start a front swing and change it to a side (lean) swing before it lands, but it doesn't hit side and front at the same time. I have heard people complaining there are exploits or bugs with mount fighting but I can't find any confirmation of it.

4. Nef

Nef Ghost

So much not this. Almost all experienced Mount fights start their swing prior to lean.... It's not an exploit, it's just like arching a melee hit while tracking.

Ringo Starr likes this.
  5. Navlaan

Navlaan Infernal

Any weapon type that is better for mounted combat? (sword, axe, club)

6. Nef

Nef Ghost

Just differences in damage. I.E. Slashing, Bludgeoning, etc... I believe Bludgeoning does the most damage to heavy gear, but you rarely find them in PvP so more self reliant crafting them.

7. Sevenzx

Sevenzx Goblin Warrior
    Tester

Here's what I've been told - since you should be hitting the damage cap on a mount with a high end weapon, the sword is superior because it has the fastest swing speed. So I think 1-handed sword is the best option.

WyLd_SyDe and Navlaan like this.
  8. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

Key word being almost :)

I lean before swinging 99% of the time.

9. Pimptight

Pimptight Obsidian Golem
    Streamer Legend

All these "mount fighters" in here trying to save face hahahaha i fucking love it cant wait for BPG to actually fix this.

Inositol likes this.
  10. Nef

Nef Ghost

I loved having Right click bound to right lean, and Left click bound to left lean in UW.

Eaos likes this.