Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

My Thoughts, Coming from New Dawn

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Raap, Mar 4, 2019.

1. awpolt

awpolt New Member

If I may, I would also like to add a few points.

Before I begin, I would like to thank the Team for all they've done to help improve and enhance the game.

1.) Game Patcher/Login Client. Many hoops to get into the game! I suggest integrating the log-in system within the game client, instead of having to go through multiple menus and toggles before entering the world of Agon.

1.) Terrain. As it stands, it seems a bit odd to be able to walk on terrain that is nearly 90 degrees without falling or being somewhat restrictive.

2.) Rubberbanding. I am unsure if this is a client-only issue. When a monster is killed, its corpse will slide for a few seconds. I believe there are some synchronization issues. Player movement also appears as if there's a delay when coming to a full-stop, client-side.

3.) World Map. When the World Map is toggled (and no changes are made), everything is displayed and are 100% zoomed out, causing visual distortion on your whereabouts and making it difficult to see where things are. It does not appear that your character is anchored to the center of the map.

4.) Minimap. When moving around, it looks like the Minimap is being redrawn instead of appearing static.

5.) Messages. Taking damage adds a minus (-) to the values, which seems odd. There seems to be quite a bit of extra information displayed to the user--information that could either be trimmed or not displayed at all when an action or event occurs.

Thanks for reading!

Raap likes this.
  2. auehuempopizde

auehuempopizde Goblin Scout

gui the best,not need changes for ui

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Raap

Raap Undead Dwarf

Rubberbanding typically refers to 'server playing catch-up to clients and teleporting/sliding users where the server thinks they should be'. This specific issue is not present in DF's engine. The mob corpse issue is very annoying though, especially their hitbox remaining there for several seconds.

You can center the worldmap, there is a button for it on the top left.

The minimap (or other GUI elements) being re-drawn would not surprise me, the GUI is quite a performance killer in DF.

System giving too much info is indeed a fair point to bring up. Some pieces of info are too long, others too frequently. Much room for improvement here.

4. Finnad

Finnad Air Elemental
    Legend

Some quick feedback from me. Quite a few things have changed for the better but as a whole the game hasn't changed much. One of the alarm bells for me is how hard it must be for new players at the moment, regardless of any QOL changes because:
    • EVERYONE is rocking full r60+ q4+ bags topped with phys prots and ork slayers. Some even in robe bags. These used to be tourny bags.. This is easy because of stacked banks all round and obviously gives a massive advantage over more realistic bags
    • As above, ork fem clearly fotm (op) race
    • 110+ stats is pretty big advantage over 100 from my experience, as in 20-40hp and 3+ melee dmg for a start. It takes hours of farming hotspot mobs to get to 110 or a ton of gold.
    • The community is toxic as fuck. Embarrassing level of cringe shit talk and ego after and between any fight - but this is what happens when you only have people left who are sticking around for this shit. Makes global chat hard to read
    • Every PvP vid looks like the same person playing
    • Pretty much everyone left is at the metas skill ceiling.
    • Not big on the village tiered rewards, just favors vets and hardcores again. Just not worth capping under probably t4.
    • Not keen on turbo ray combat, even df 2010 had more tactic to it and a bit slower pace
    • Nothing to do except PvP for PvP sake
    • Whole server turns up to almost every siege

As a semi casual now with a job and gf I understand how time consuming the game can be in some aspects. BPG have to understand that they need a plan that makes DF more accessible to the casual, as at the moment its state caters to super hardcore dwellers as seen by the calliber of person left who also have 5+ yrs of experience. DnD did some great stuff on this like big gear and stat front loading.

You must not listen to the echo chamber of a TINY subset remaining of the people initially interested in DF and remember why we were all captivated by the idea of DF - definitely not porting around a massive world in 1's or 2's to try and shit on one of the few great players left playing and tell them how shit they are. The game needs a serious coherent plan for it to succeed.

#44 Finnad, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  5. Raap

Raap Undead Dwarf

Thanks for your input Finnad, I wish more people spoke up in general. There is a broad sentiment among many newer players but few got the stomach to post their thoughts publicly.

Frog likes this.
  6. naturethepleb

naturethepleb Goblin Warlord

I won't be surprised if you just posted another image of a dumpster in relation to my opinion, because that's how disrespectful you are to someone who's played with you on/off - with/against for est decade (albeit online). Says A LOT more about you than me.

Disclaimer: Any extra info said about you here is not to cause drama, but rather to put this post into context for people who have no idea of who we are, and where we are "coming from."

I feel quite insulted by what you are saying in the quotation above. Are you seriously saying that the people not posting the same dried-up rhetoric as you simply doesn't have the stomach to post their thoughts publicly? It's not exactly North Korea up in here, so I'm pretty sure if ppl had these gargantuan issues that they would post.

The reality is that you are part of a minority. Historically and presently, you have / still consider anyone who doesn't agree with your opinions to be "yes men" rather than people who may actually be more-so correct than yourself. I am super active in helping new players, and 95% of the new ppl (who are most at risk of feeling difficulties) who come into this game just knuckle down and play; even those who haven't played the franchise in a hell of a long time. They adapt to Darkfall and not the other way around.

- Out of all of Darkfall's versions BY FAR (1) This is the easiest one to be super rich in (2) This is the most casual-friendly in terms of char progression. Transport. Finding action.
    - Zero ego intended here (anyone who knows me personally knows otherwise), but would you like me to write a free money guide PDF specifically for you, showcasing how I have lead many clans in the past many iterations of the game, whilst funding all aspects of their sieges, whilst still crafting and being rich myself? (just as an added note, that unlike you I don't exploit or buy nithron coin shop items to make money either. Also I left your clan in DFUW after playing with you for years when you continued to exploit and didn't care).

I am concerned of posts like these on the forums putting people off the game before they've even tried it. Granted, maybe if they are that feeble then they are better off in other games anyway ... but still I'd like to try to avoid it to maximise the success potential of the last bastion of Darkfall. And "make no mistake" (as Wilby would say), if this version of DF fails then there's our favourite game gone.

7. Finnad

Finnad Air Elemental
    Legend

Not really sure what 'easy to be super rich in' compared to other iterations means, maybe relative to siege costs and other gold sinks as inflation is through the roof sure. Otherwise, it's always been easy to get rich in DF if you spend enough time trying. Most mats and gold are easy to come by at the moment and that's probably not a good thing if you look at the gear situation. Everyone rolling in tourny gear is not a good situation. It de-values gear, makes entry harder for newbs and just makes it boring to loot. No occasion is special.

Yes farming really is not hard in DFO, it just takes time. I've not seen a single new player since starting the game - and I'm really hoping that will change when they decide the game is ready for an advertising campaign, but until then people should give their feedback on the obvious issues.

#47 Finnad, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Raap and Battle Smurf like this.
  8. Liverbest Gibs

Liverbest Gibs Spellgazer
    Hero

Been gone for awhile, but I figured I would come back to the forums.

I'm not a fan of the action queuing idea. People made a big deal about it when they implemented it in New Dawn, but I played the game for a few months, and I didn't feel a difference. I don't really like the idea of an action being delayed. The only time I had problems with performing actions in Darkfall Online or RoA was when there were lag issues, either on my end or the server's end. I honestly would rather nothing happened when I press a button, and the game was in a state where the action could not be completed, rather than the action occurring late. Darkfall is a twitch shooter, essentially. Becoming good always required learning the timing of your button presses. If I get all these late actions occurring, it will mess up my whole rhythm. If it can be an option, I guess that's fine.

I'm all for improving the new player experience, but not at the expense of the game. I'm all for improving the quests and PvE at the low end. I'm not necessarily for "bridging the gap" between the newbies and veterans when it comes to PvP. Almost everyone has it hard in Darkfall, not just the newbies. Unless you are in the top 5% of PvPers, you are going to die quite a lot. The game is for masochists, gamblers, and adrenaline junkies. They pretty much already bridged the gap a huge amount when they made the difference between a skill at level 1 and 100 just 8% difference. Those veterans are running around in r70 gear because they put the time in. More or less, they deserve it. Newbies are just going to have to rely on guilds with veterans to teach and protect them. That is the way it has always been. If one guild becomes too rich and powerful, and the politics become stagnant, that guild usually splinters off, because people get bored. Politics are always ebbing and flowing. All that said, yes, increase the quests and activities that new players can perform and enjoy. Improve the game. Make it more balanced and add content. Just don't modify the core of Darkfall. It's a full loot, might and magic twitch shooter, that emphasizes freedom.

I'm planning a return to the game in the near future.

9. Ch4r4x

Ch4r4x Winterbound
    Hero

Then let it be optional. It may not be an issue for you personally for whatever reason, but for many others, especially those with high 100+ ping, it would alleviate alot (all?) of the issues with paperdoll locks, unresponsive input etc.
    It gets really old, really fast to press that disable blow button 5 times in a row only to do 5 regular melee swings.

HaldirHardy and Raap like this.
  10. Raap

Raap Undead Dwarf

It's my number one daily rant, pretty much. Game doesn't do what I ask it to do, in the order I ask it to do it in. I miss a lot of disables, weapon 'abilities', and weapon swaps, during critical combat moments because I literally have to STOP ALL INPUT for a whole second or two before I can press what I need it to do.

I basically never get to do a whirlwind attack because the game just doesn't let me to quick-response abilities. It only works consistently if I use it as my opening melee attack after swapping.

While you might not agree or even see the issue, it is certainly very real and highly detrimental to player retention. Put simply, no one likes to get their teeth kicked out over and over again while constantly having to re-farm the expensive losses.

The problem has several layers to it (I'm only naming a few of them, to not beat a dead horse further);
    • Old established veteran player base makes getting a foot in the door extremely difficult even for those with experience. Completely new players/clans have ZERO chance right now, which is why none are ever created.
    • The RoA gear standard is through the roof of what is reasonable, because people sit on fat banks from two years of playing. R70 Q4 Ork slayers are the RoA default even for village PvP but the price tag to attain this for Casual Bob is unreasonable.
    • Supposed 'entry level' PvP gear - Selentine - is too uncommon, and also used by high end recipes. Too few sources drop it which makes it very hard to farm due to people camping the spawns. So even if Casual Bob gets a Full Plate set after a lot of farming, he is still going to lose it to Mister-I-Have-70-R70-Sets.
    • There is no entry level PvP content, everyone is thrown at the same content, effectively creating a meat grinder where only the already established wealthy players can thrive.

#50 Raap, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  11. rawrgazm

rawrgazm New Member

The only thing you've ever lead is yourself into a laughing stock, you're posts are so passive agressive its hilarious for someone who quit a game over a bit of banter.

Ontopic: The fluidity of changing weapons / casting is just shocking, it feels sooo clunky and I don't know why or how to fix it, it definately isn't ping related as I'm only 100 ping, everytime I've come back to the game for a day or two I always stop playing due to this.

12. Liverbest Gibs

Liverbest Gibs Spellgazer
    Hero

Raap, giving newbies PvP content that they can enjoy is a complicated problem. Newbie village captures can still be crashed by veterans. Just like sieges are sometimes crashed by "scroachers". I wouldn't be against some kind of battleground events in an instanced area, where newbies can jump in with gear restrictions, and try to complete objectives.

13. awpolt

awpolt New Member

@Raap

Indeed, there are some significant (or so it seems) performance issues with the overall GUI. The Game Engine is perhaps also something to consider taking a solid look at. As far as I know, it was developed in the early 2000s. I don't know how far optimization goes. I've also noticed delays in sound while walking/running over different textures (client-side), which is odd.

Raap likes this.
  14. Raap

Raap Undead Dwarf

There is never a fail-safe way, but in my opening post I did describe a method to encourage it.

Specifically making such activities not full-loot will primarily deter "griefers" .

15. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Obsidian Golem
    Hero

Ho lol, i see what's your problem.

You are basically complaining because ROA doesn't have the crazy ''queue system for selecting the next skill/weapon''. It is honestly better without that shit. I wouldn't mind an option for those who want that, but i never liked how forced it was on DnD. I could accidentally use stamina transfer just because i always have the reflex to press that button, but when the enemy pushes on me, i usually don't wanna stam transfer. In DnD, i was fucked at that moment.

When DnD was dead and i got back to ROA, i kept miss-pressing my spells/weaps at the right time too just like you.

Just get used to the timing for now and you won't have to complain about it later. You don't have to borrow the voice of the new players coz i doubt they would complain about the issue that you are having unless they are coming from DnD. I remember when you all loved that queuing shit ''except'' me. I used to complain about a lot of shit that y'all loved so much such as the grind.

-----------------------------
    After quote response:
    -----------------------------

Ppl are carrying those gears because they grind none stop, not because they have been playing for years. So they deserve the right to carry full infernal and R70's. I tried that once and it was for a wager duel. Other than that, i always carry FP's and q3's. The only Q4 i use are feathered helmets and Q4-Q5 for magnitudes. Yet, i often win against players in infernal. We got players who stack high end gears, but they don't matter; they never use them in pvp. When they do, they don't even use them the right way.

Look at some of sero's pvp video. You can find him kill the same couple of legion members at the leenspar golem. I'm in Legion. Those same legion members who have been camping the selentine golem are often seen in infernal and R70 dueling, but when they lose 2-3 times, they go back in full plate and some of them be raging.
    So no matter how long you have been grinding, you will downgrade back down to FP's and Q3's in no time.

Now, it's very easy to stay in FP's. Selentine golems are not even getting camped like you claim them to be. There's 3 selentine golems. It is also very easy to purchase FP pieces from the market.

My only issue with the gear cap is with one weapon and 1 type of enchant. I dislike Feathered enchants and cobra staff(+75 casting speed and the only good mastery staff).
    Feathered helmets allows you to carry more heavy armour as a mage or to cast faster/deal more archery damage as a destroyer. It's too good to have at-least +18 encumbrance bonus.
    And the gap from FP to Infernal might just be too much; same from R60's to R70.
    We want to revert combat to nerf down the gear gap also. Destroyers in sieges are too good currently.

What new players need are meaningful quests that can teach them how to actually play the game and how to farm. Titles don't do that.
    Newb's must learn how to kill mobs and loot in a timely manner(Timed GTA type quest). So I wish there was a bunch of quests to teach players how to clear mob spawns in a timely manner with a good reward if down efficiently.
    For example, there should be a quest that teaches a player how to clear a spawn of tomb iklits under 5 minutes. It should clearly state that the player needs daggers, debuffs and to use the safe-spot to lose sight of the tomb iklits. Quests should generally take 5 to 10 minutes to complete.
    I'm talking about quests as if we had none. The current quests that we have are all crap ''except'' dailies.

Every mmorpg's teaches players how to play through leveling and questing. You can't expect a new player to be good at wow in a High-rate wow private server. DF ROA feels like a private server in that sense.

16. Ch4r4x

Ch4r4x Winterbound
    Hero

what a rambling, incoherent post