Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

My thoughts on Runebooks/Villages/PvP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skreww L00se, Feb 24, 2018.

1. skreww L00se

skreww L00se Undead Dwarf
    Legend

I've resubbed recently but I have not played a ton yet. I ran accross the map, hit some key spawns and a couple villages and found no one. I wanted to share some of my initial thoughts on the new runebook / village system for PvP.

All I keep thinking to myself is that it is effectively a shitty pvp queue system.

The argument against a pvp queue/arena or what have you is often that it is against the spirit of the game and doesn't really fit the aspects of full loot ffa pvp etc.

With the current system you can literally see how many people capture village A. From there you can typically determine where they will go next based on location and timers. So you head to village B to fight them. At this point it is basically an asymmetrical queue for pvp. The team capturing doesn't know who or when someone will be coming out them. The team on the hunt knows how many their opponent has and can then bring more/less if they choose.

At this point why not just let them queue up. You can teleport, buff and ride to the location to fight. It feels like unnecessary work when you are already just letting people find each other. If you are going to remove 80% of the effort using runebooks, global village capture messages and global village timers why not just take the next logical step...

When I log in I want to PvP. So far the only thing that seems worth logging in for is group duels.

I do have a recommendation I want to flesh out and post that involves a Kings & Kingdoms system which includes 5 arenas that you can buy tickets to use/duel in.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 skreww L00se, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  2. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Z down...

Grimtide and Fengor like this.
  3. sphinxish

sphinxish Goblin Scout

Cool story bro.

quietnoobz likes this.
  4. Lucan

Lucan Ghost
    Hero

Says he wants to share his initial thoughts on runebooks, doesnt mention them what so ever...

quietnoobz and Bartlebe like this.
  5. Bartlebe

Bartlebe Chosen of Khamset
    Loyal Patron Legend

I guess his thoughts were that they were unnecessary and they should just let people queue up instead? I mean, i'm not a huge fan of arena villagefall either but I think queues for actual arenas aren't what we need.

SinSemilla, Lucan and Owyn Magnus like this.
  6. trammiesurprise

trammiesurprise Wildtribe Mage
    Legend

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but I am a fan of some sort of Instanced Siege System. I hate that every siege has become one half of the server versus the other half.

Sometimes you want to have a battle with a sworn enemy but unfortunately if you don't get the big dogs on the server involved they will likely just show up and shit in everyone's cornflakes.

I believe if Sieges weren't a numbers contest and instead a skilled even number battle each time you would see more smaller groups appear, more world conflict, and sieges much more often.

#6 trammiesurprise, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  7. Pimptight

Pimptight Obsidian Golem
    Streamer Legend

so boring with nobody to fight none of this gonna help when we have 100 players playing. At this point i dont even have an idea what to say anymore i dont want to sound negative. This last month i resubbed has been slow boring and very few pvp fights not to mention if its not a vcp there is no pvp sieges not worth its a steamroll if you fight the current zerg lord clan.

8. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

Q and instance.....

lol

9. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Goblin Warlord

I agree. The past three days I've logged in I have done nothing but duel in town. The few times I have actually went out into the world, I find no one (this is at villages). I think the biggest problem right now is that people are afraid to go out into the world because they dont wanna get "zerged" down by another group. Players value their gear bags, and are unwilling to risk them in an unfair fight. There were also two sieges this weekend where one side didn't show because they didn't want to waste time with an outnumbered fight.

Another problem with the villages is the fact that you spawn in right on the bind stone. If there is another player/ group waiting then you are pretty much screwed, especially since they can debuff you through player protection. If the purpose of the villages/billboards is to attract pvpers, then the systems shouldn't punish players for using them.

10. Shyne

Shyne Goblin Scout

We could use battlegrounds with mini-games like.....(hate to say it)...WoW

Sameog and Lucan like this.
  11. Owyn Magnus

Owyn Magnus Varangian Warthane

I wouldnt mind seeing this for hamlets. Cities should still be open world.

As for village teleporting, I would say with runebooks we shouldnt need it. But whatever.

I will just say this here, and I think its a great idea.

Take the concept of Hellgates from Albion Online and PUT THEM IN THIS GAME.

Spread out some Devil spawns around the map, when the devil spawns and they are killed they drop 5 marked runestones to an instanced dungeon. Good PVE farming and at least one good PVP fight. Runestones have to be used within X amount of time or they become unmarked, normal runes.

Lucan likes this.
  12. Grisvok

Grisvok Skeleton Archer

Hellgates would be great. I like the idea of instancing certain things but I think it would be extremely hard for them to do in this game from a technical standpoint.

Lucan likes this.
  13. Symdor

Symdor Goblin Warrior
    Hero

This !! + 10000

14. trammiesurprise

Legend

Why stop at Hell Gates? Why not use the Albion Siege system for certain holdings (Hamlets)? Inside the instance safe respawn points with a local bank you can stock as much as you want before hand. But if you loose you can no longer access that bank so your excess gear is lost until you take the holding back.

They also penalize no shows. If a team wins by a certain margin they can get a free additional siege or counter siege.

Albion combat may be lackluster but they had some great ideas for there pvp systems.

Owyn Magnus likes this.
  15. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Team Lead Developer

If our siege system was instanced in some fashion what would prevent someone from paying mercs to take their place? Then an X vs X scenario is much worse than a 10(vet) vs 40(newb) or insert any other situation where the less skilled players are trying to win the fight.

BeatIt likes this.
  16. trammiesurprise

Legend

In your scenario you are assuming the 2 sides don't want to fight each other and want to hire mercs, I imagine there are many mediocre players like myself that would enjoy fighting players similar to their own skill level instead of learning by getting stomped in the field 1000 times and filling clearly superior enemies banks with gear.

But in that case the only thing preventing it would really be inconvenience, I am sure if mercs had to join a clan and be a certain rank to participate in Sieges then the inconvenience would prevent it from happening all that often.

17. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Team Lead Developer

That's basically my point. If side A were those superior enemies then Side B would not stand a chance. Being open world they can at least use numbers to their advantage and try to win.

SinSemilla likes this.
  18. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Shard carriers would be pretty cool is they were brought back for sieges. The current system is still pretty boring. alot of waiting around.

The Red King and Fengor like this.
  19. game_dead

game_dead New Member

Every issue in RoA can be fixed by having higher population. When you have like 100 people or less playing the game, of course you're unlikely going to find anybody out in the world. You can add stuffs like battlegrounds or arena but its just a bandage to the problem. Again the real solution is population.

#19 game_dead, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Not_Primetime and BeatIt like this.
  20. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Thanks captain obvious, but we need to attract and grow a population and then most importantly retain it. Way harder today than 10 years ago. Most games life cycles are short these days, even bigger titles.

Fengor, Chantree and Sique like this.