Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Need Help With the Jank-Ass Hotbar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whiskiz, Mar 10, 2019.

1. whiskiz

whiskiz New Member

Is there a reason it starts default vertical on the side of the screen? Like your skills and combat is

Is there a way to make it horizontal?

Is there a reason you can click on the arrows on the bottom to open it out, only showing other skill columns, while not actually being able to use those skill slots unless that specific column is selected still?

Is there a way to make it multiple rows instead of just the one, like extending out all the columns, but again making those slots actually usable?

Is there a way to move the extra spaces at the bottom that's currently selected spell/action? Since it makes the entire hotbar need to go that much higher when at the bottom of the screen.

Also, is there a way to enter mouse pointer mode without having to press escape?

Cheers.

#1 whiskiz, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  2. Ryco Stormeye

Ryco Stormeye Goblin Scout

Is there a way to make it horizontal?

Not yet but I saw they are working on it.

Is there a reason you can click on the arrows on the bottom to open it out, only showing other skill columns, while not actually being able to use those skill slots unless that specific column is selected still?

When you select a weapon i.e staff you can set it to swap to hotbar column 3 for example and have all your spells on there while your two handed weapon could be set to hotbar 1 and have the weapons skills on it.

Is there a way to make it multiple rows instead of just the one, like extending out all the columns, but again making those slots actually usable?

Not yet

Is there a way to move the extra spaces at the bottom that's currently selected spell/action? Since it makes the entire hotbar need to go that much higher when at the bottom of the screen.

Not yet

Also, is there a way to enter mouse pointer mode without having to press escape?

Yes you can rebind the key in bindings to another key i thinks its Gui GuiToggle

whiskiz and Bartlebe like this.
  3. Shieldbreaker

Shieldbreaker Dire Zombie
    Benefactor

You don't even need to see it. The thing you do is bind each slot of the hotbar to a hotkey via options->bindings->gui, for example hotbar 4 slot 4 to [E] and so on. Set up your bindings the way you like. For example, for me, regular keyboard keys are nukes and weapons. [Shift]+same keys is heals/blinds/other defensive stuff, [Ctrl]+same keys is mobility stuff and so on.

You should only use hotbars themselves as opposed to direct bindings for maybe something you use super rarely, like some specific curse you hardly ever use, or something. Even then, probably better to bind it to direct keys, so if the situation pops up you don't have to switch to the hotbar and can do the action anytime without delay.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you can put more than 1 thing in a hotbar slot. So you can have several spells with a cycle of your choosing through them in there, some physical or bow abilities and so on, all in 1 slot.

#3 Shieldbreaker, Mar 10, 2019
  4. Bartlebe

Bartlebe Chosen of Khamset
    Loyal Patron Legend

This is the thing I feel like is hardest for noobs to learn. It's not something many ever have to do in any other MMO or game they play. I feel introducing noobs to this in the screen that pops up at the start is important. Along with the default bindings discussion, figuring out a way to communicate this without overwhelming or surprising people will be important.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    KingLlama, Nat and Johhny Mad Dog like this.
  5. Raap

Raap Crypt Guard

There is a topic on this very issue here. The RoA GUI is a mess, and the default one is trainwreck. But veterans should be careful with their well-intended suggestions, which simply are often too complex and only serve to further highlight the problem.

@whiskiz Are you attempting to play the game via mouse clicking on the hotbar? If so, unfortunately you should know that the entire game control scheme was not designed to support mouse clicking. I suggest you read the topic I linked to get a few suggestions. But mostly this should be, in my opinion, a higher development priority.

Edit: Quick note on not having to see abilities on the hotbar to use them - some people like to be able to track ability cooldowns, its what I do for my physical hotbar, despite having also keybound these keys (they also still activate via numbers keys).

Nat, Fengor and Bartlebe like this.
  6. Bartlebe

Bartlebe Chosen of Khamset
    Loyal Patron Legend

That's the thread I had in mind when I posted it. I know this isn't the right thread, but I don't know what the solution to the problem would look like. Darkfall has many dozens of skills and spells you need to track. There is no way around having that be somewhat complex to set up. A weapon bar would make it easier maybe.

7. whiskiz

whiskiz New Member

Guys no, i don't mean to use the skills from the skillbar, but having them aligned and properly displayed on the UI to see which keybind is for which skill on the fly.

You can set your 20 odd bindings up all you like, but if you can't easily see/access where/what they all are and only have one column for spells when switching weapons etc, it's not all that helpful.

Especially when you use mouse buttons - 4 rows of 3 buttons and like to have the corresponding 4 horizontal rows for those buttons, as well as a row for 1 - 4 and maybe shift 1 - 4 etc, since that setup is the standard hotbar layout for every other game ever.

Such a core and standard thing, it's odd.

All of a sudden you get this vertical row as default and only option, with skill columns being a thing that you need to switch between while having to select weapon, then select each skill you want to use, then use the skill, before switching selected skill or selected weapon then selected skill again.

What even.

#7 whiskiz, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Nat, Sero and onslaught like this.
  8. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

@Neilk has been working on this when it dawned on BPG that the GUI is 80% of the reason why people cant get into Darkfall.
    Give the guy some time, he is making progress and I'm excited to finally play this game when we get the new Hotbars.

Not sure how long it will take but this is the kind of change that gets me to log in.

Nat and Fengor like this.
  9. whiskiz

whiskiz New Member

Yeah it definitely doesn't seem all that important at first and i kinda get how it works currently - you switch weapon and it changes to a skillbar with (hopefully) all needed skills for each weapon - combat skills for melee, spells for staff etc.

But it really is important and really is needlessly different and weird especially with vertical being only option.

Good to hear it's being worked on.

Cheers.

#9 whiskiz, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Fengor likes this.
  10. Inkarnation

Inkarnation Varangian Warthane
    Legend

we need radial wheels

Fenris and Fengor like this.
  11. Sero

Sero Evil Eye
    Loyal Legend

@Neilk is working on improvements to the hotbar, and I believe this is one of them.

Most people that currently play this game just ignore the hotbar as it only serves as a binding tool and just remember what spell is attached to what binding by use of memory.
    --- Post updated ---
    [​IMG]

#11 Sero, Mar 10, 2019
    Blaze and Bartlebe like this.
  12. ijharb

ijharb Celestial
    Supporter

hey,

there was that ONE guy that used them.

13. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

something else I find many people do not know is that spells and melee skill abilities can be on the same hot bar slot.
    example would be: power attack/inferno. They are only available when ya have to proper weapon out to use so you can use the same key to power attack someone as you use to cast an r90 at them. I never have to switch hot bars with my setup and it does not include a huge amount of keys to do so.

Blaze, Euchre and Shieldbreaker like this.
  14. Euchre

Euchre Goblin Warlord
    Patron Hero

^ THIS.
    I only use my hotbar for cool down tracking, I never swap hotbars. If you start with a few skills at a time then add to it as you master them, you will master it quickly.

If you train yourself during pve it becomes subconscious what hotkeys you need and you can react faster in combat by focusing on the opponent, instead of trying to figure out what button combo is fireball or brew.

Blaze likes this.