Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

New Dawn is one step forward to release.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brat, Feb 24, 2016.

1. KapteeniKoukku

Streamer

join my clan retart

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Flying Dutchmaster

Flying Dutchmaster Gravelord
    Legend

Basically what anyone intelligent is saying about the matter, including RoA in so many words.

3. Gravely Diggs

Gravely Diggs Goblin Warrior
    Legend

"DND however with their over promising is very reminiscent of a company we all know way too well."

THIS! Very much this. To be fair "Promise" might be too strong a word. But they know the people they're feeding information to and even the hint of something means much the same thing as a promise to the fans that are more enthusiastic. . . or less jaded by the franchise. I'm in a group that has spent the time since Darkfall online shut down jumping games and reminiscing fondly on a almost DAILY basis about Darkfall Online. I can't even count the number of games we've been in that were summarized by us as a group as "It's just not Darkfall"

We're all hopeful at this point. But Seeing our beloved game released is still in the (hopefully shortish) future. And the potential for horrid changes to it instead of content development as well as outright failure in the actual launch process is still very much on all of our minds. Well. . . except for one of us. But he's old enough to be senile anyway.

#63 Gravely Diggs, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  4. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Both projects are sketchy, and I'm keeping them both at arms length.

RoA is run by DF vets, and I know DF vets, I am one. We're all cunts, and I'm a cunt, and I'll be a cunt to the wrong alt, and end up with an empty bank one day. Obviously I'm exaggerating, but a lot of people don't like me, and I don't like them, so I don't want to put myself in a position where they have any semblance of power over me. It's a bit paranoid, but I've seen most people's true colors before they put their professional game designer hats on.

(Kick starter is sketchy, I don't use it, don't plan to, hope that's not the plan for RoA.)

Then there's a more or less a professional, funded company who has a bunch of fucking insane ideas for what they want to do with the game, and if we're being real here, they're being unrealistic, especially with no background in game development. On the other hand, they were prepared to fund the licensing, so they've got financial backing, and a few of their "backgrounds" coincide with game development.

I'm gong hard on DnD because there are 10 clones of me on the circle jerk council for RoA, and I'm sure that my perspective isn't unique enough to actually add anything of value to what I assume would be an echo chamber, meanwhile DND is shooting blind, without a single true veteran player on their forums. They've heard nothing but praise from a few devoted retards, and I think they're open enough to scale back their more crazy shit, and hopefully I can convince them to not COMPLETELY fuck combat.

Honestly, they've got got huge issues, and at the end of the day, if I get my GM camera and an actual server to log into, that's where my loyalties will lie. I have nothing to prove by going 8 hours a day again, I just want to make videos. The first server up, I'll ask for GM camera / gear spawning / etc, and they'll probably be on board, especially during a beta. Nothing fucking matters.

If RoA turns out to be the better game down the road, then I'll come chill. I have no loyalty to either project yet.

#64 Inositol, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  5. dragula

dragula Gravelord
    Legend

I wish you luck on that, I really do. I think they have some interesting ideas, but my god the things they want to do to combat...and the insane amount of time they've spent theory crafting and defending those same ideas....smh. I do wish you luck but so far it doesn't appear you've made much progress with them, at least from what I've seen. :)

Owyn Magnus likes this.
  6. Crucial Unit

Crucial Unit Goblin Warrior

props to you rex for having the endurance to write on DND. I'm amazed at how many df vets still care this much after so many years. All I'm seeing is two amateur companies playing game dev and the fact they're getting this much hope is amazing to me but I guess people think no one can be as bad as AV.

Fengor and murk like this.
  7. Xaar

Xaar Dire Zombie

We are doomed. I did my research and i found evidence that Andrew aka kimoshu is indeed related to Tasos himself. Now that we know who is pulling the strings its time to abandon the ship!! Also DND's crew confirmed ZAD relatives!!! God help us all

8. Nuyur

Nuyur Wildtribe Mage

With the changes DnD suggest, i suspect they will be balancing the game untill 3017.
    And given how people really really hate having to swap playstyles because a patch literally destroyed what you were playing before, its likely the playerbase wont stay that attached to the game (longterm).

But howlong you stick with a game really depends, there are those that put up with 5 years of shit from AV in a game that hardly ever got patched at all which had obvious flaws... So who knows, maybe being the first to get a server running will actually mean something.

9. Gruesome

Gruesome Skeleton Archer

Isn't ROA funded, and, according to the respective 'about us' sections, more experienced?

Metalkon, Neilk and Andrew like this.
  10. Fnights

Fnights Earth Elemental

I'm not so acid and negative like you, i root for both iterations, RoA for a more vanilla experience where you old FPSers can pvp 24/7 with unlimited skills, fast traveling and global bank, DnD for a more sandbox experience with tons of new specializations (non magic users included), local bank, no fast travel and new content.
    Everyone happy.

#70 Fnights, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Ron Paul likes this.
  11. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

I've been quite honest that I want Darkfall to change but it doesn't need its core changed. Combat, localized banking (barf, I don't need another job), and big economic changes are not where the focus needs to be, they held their own and were in a solid state at the end of the game. I am a firm believer that Darkfall needs to focus on expanding its content (racial wars, alignment, clan warfare improvements which from DND I actually am a big fan of), bettering new players entry to the game, and fixing exploits/script problems and what not. DND has really great ideas and solutions they are just looking at the wrong areas of the game for my liking.

Carrot Soup, Mighty Mouse and Xaar like this.
  12. AdamDMC

AdamDMC Gravelord
    Supporter

I'm still looking for the gankbox arena you claim dfo had, ,I'd like to chill there

13. Fnights

Fnights Earth Elemental

Well, i think that Darkfall to attract a more wider playerbase and not the same 4 people, should change. For me the combat mechanics and fast pace combat, the races, the world, were an amazing experience, but the skill system based on the jack of all trades, or "holy trinity" (melee + archery + magic) was a huge turn off, and for lots of roleplayers (that asked for months for a skill cap). The economy was another turn off since the same problem , jack of all trades, affect crafting too and make full time crafters a useless playstyle.

Said that, DnD will change these 2 aspects, the meta skills, allowing specialized players and non-magic players (i really like a Mount & Blade approach without the damn magic, just swings and arrows) to fight in par with hybrids battlemages, and the local banks with the removal of fast traveling, and the lock of crafting masteries, to allow full time crafters and merchants.

This is the kind of sandbox i'm looking to see in DF.

In DF1 ther were nothing to do, apart gank everyone not in your alliance cause a meaningless align system where 1 man clans can gank whole guilds of new players, it was like a quake arena pvp map with insane grind, macro, using of script to rotate all these spells, utilities, CCs, and nothing else.

But is ok, there are people into this kind of harcore gameplay, just accept to have a super niche community, like there are people into sandbox that prefer to do more things apart pvp 24/7.

so why not? Every crowd can have now their iteration. Isn't this the best way to make everyone happy without make everyone sad? I guess so.

So kudos to DnD and RoA.

#73 Fnights, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Ron Paul likes this.
  14. Kilset

Kilset Black Knight
    Hero

yea dude all us RoA guys want is an arena fps shooter, shoot shoot bang bang. All we want are 50 scripts oh yea dude yea we all loved that part. We really don't want meaningful player interaction at all, like i said quake fps arena twitch mechzzzz yea dude all we want in RoA. Right babe?

Kotic, Fengor, SuB ZeRo and 1 other person like this.
  15. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Lakisuria_Moonglade Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Take out Mobs, gear, and keyboard functionality so you have to activate a script with a mouse to do anything. Oh and give us guns. Need a lot of guns.

Kilset likes this.
  16. Fnights

Fnights Earth Elemental

Well, the leopard cannot change its spots, we will see how it will end up. :)

Ron Paul likes this.
  17. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse Akathar
    Legend

Well said... I agree. Leave pvp alone just make more reasons for pvp. Also make some cooler dungeons and shit to kill to keep the adventurers happy.
    --- Post updated ---
    This guy lol... I see him posting on DND a lot. You say some crazy stuff. Why would you want to be stuck just using magic. Stuck just using a sword. Stuck just using a bow. It makes fighting fun to have options and link everything together to your own personalized style. Why would you possibly want to make the game flat with a singular approach to combat? Your ideas are pretty bananas to me brother.
    --- Post updated ---
    That sounds awesome man. I want to make some videos too. Nothing special maybe just for my own enjoyment. I think im going to look for some video software to mess with. Any ideas on some good programs to buy to try my hand at video making?

18. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

i sort of have to agree with inositol on this one.. RoA definitely is a large group of former darkfall vets and we all know what that entails. I believe in my heart that they have the best intentions, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions and we all know it. We've seen it time and again on these very forums. that old toxic nature has started creeping back out and oozing its way into the forums.

these boards started out with everyone hopeful, everyone civil and one concerted goal in mind, GET DARKFALL BACK.

now that the chances of that are 100% people have reverted to their same old stupidity/maturity levels. and no amount of logs, countermeasures, or planning is going to be able to hold back the fingers of that one GM that cannot resist the dark side of the force. And once that bubble is broken, it's not coming back.

I like BPG's vision of DF more than I like DnD's.. but, honestly, i like the idea of vanilla DF more than i like EITHER upcoming option. There are ideas that they announced at the beginning (both companies) that made me cringe, and ideas on both companies' forums that have been heartily accepted by the company, and those ideas as well, make me cringe.

While i'm willing to wait and see.. i feel that if only 'half' of the changes that either company are proposing actually make it into the game, i fear that neither game will succeed anyway and we'll all be stuck waiting for the EMU crew to finish it up... darkfall was great because of the beast that it was. ANY change to the nature of that beast, and the beast disappears. Both companies want to change the beast when all the beast really needed from the onset, was more...

more map, more islands, more continents, more pvp, more pve, more dungeons, more honesty from the devs, more hard work from the devs, and because none of that ever happened, more population.

what we need is more sand in a bigger box. what we do not need is a version of the game that makes us forget what the original was like. BPG has an even bigger challenge in that aspect, as DnD is not comprised of former players. DnD has a customer base that trusts what they say because the never had anything to do with AV or the original darkfall. BPG is chock full of players from the old game, and we all know how clickish df vets were/are. And i feel that their biggest challenge will be remaining neutral in the process and by taking ALL suggestions for what they are, just suggestions from someone that has a personal motivation for that suggestion. Time will tell if BPG can remain neutral, lets see if those DFO vets can change their own nature, without changing the nature of Darkfall.
    --- Post updated ---
    Rosco, i'm a crafter and i will not be 'positioning' myself anywhere except my home base wherever that may be. it is simply not worth the risk to move the mats, gold, and completed gear/gear bags to a central point to sell or craft gear for the players that will be in the siege. again this does not make sense. I ONLY CRAFT, i don't pvp at all end of story, and as such i'm telling you flat out that the idea is terrible and it does not provide a benefit to crafters.

you stated 'if i was a crafter i'd.....', which means that you're not. so how would you have any idea what it would entail being a crafter and having to move your bank from one location to another or the risk involved? do you have any clue how many merc's we'd have to hire to move our shit? it would make it completely not profitable as moving it by our self at 5 am doing the slow turtle walk to another bank would be the only way possible aside from hiring mercs to do it for us or guard us on the way.

no absolutely not. you stated yourself that you're not a crafter, take it from someone that only crafts. it's not a good idea.

so uh, i'm guessing that you've not read the suggestions boards? some people are asking for some pretty far out stuff. while others are asking for the game to be 'toned down' in some areas (myself included). the point being is that a very vocal minority is clamoring for changes, while the silent majority is simply not participating. i'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts, that the majority want darkfall back with as few changes as possible.

people complain about the rays, and others complain that they don't want to lose them. people complain that bunnyhops and water launch were op'd (i'm one of them), while others are adamant that they were fine, some claim that we need local banks, others say its terrible. the point is that we're not all going to agree what we'd like to see in Darkfall.

Changes to the game, whatever they are for better or worse are up to the company in question. The challenge they both face, is keeping the game balanced. The player base will fluctuate depending on the changes that either company puts into the game.

Let's just hope that both companies are intelligent enough to understand that their 'personal ideas' of what Darkfall should be, are not necessarily the same as what the silent majority actually wants to see.

aparks likes this.
  19. Johnjon

Johnjon Skeleton Archer
    Affluent

"Negative" kid has 293 posts and a single like. You are the definition of negative. Nobody likes your shit. Go let it fester in new dawns forums. You the second coming of xipher?

20. Rigan

Rigan Goblin Scout

Couldn't agree more. The more I read both forums I come to believe even more so that neither game is going to bring back Darkfall, just another bastardised version of it that we will all hate in the end.

Carrot Soup and Rigon like this.