Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

New Dawn is one step forward to release.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brat, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Uzik

Uzik Wildtribe Mage
    Affluent Legend

There is nothing technical to review yet.

Posting a few blurbs here and there and a roadmap doesn't mean anything. I've worked with brilliant developers who just execute based on requirements with very little planning, and I've worked with developers who spend weeks planning and designing only to be unable to actually get anything done.

Based on personality I would take RoA any day. Based on some professional/technical aspect, we do not currently have anything to base that on.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

its all about impressions.

im working with IT since 2005 and reading everything was said on both sides, DnD looks more confortable to talk about that.

3. Uzik

Uzik Wildtribe Mage
    Affluent Legend

Nothing wrong with working off of an impression, just do not try and represent it as anything more than a speculative opinion not based on objective facts or characteristics.

4. Clarence Swamptown

Clarence Swamptown Black Knight
    Legend

yeah it's pretty objective facts to trash them because of their nationality

LordCaligular likes this.
  5. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

its a forum and i cant have a speculative opinion? lol nice

6. Rykus

Rykus Goblin Warlord

This thread, so full of LOLs... Need more popcorn.

Both games can easily be successful in their own way, and will attract a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT player base. Both companies have a vision that appeals to very different people, for many reasons.

Based on the info available on both sites:
    (and yes I've read every page/word on both...)

One will cater to the purists, and those who primarily want that 'end game meta' with nothing but tri-hybrid mage-warrior-archers.

The other will appeal to a broader audience that wants more sand in their box, and a combat system that doesn't require the reflexes of a pro athlete, or a bunch of grinding to be the exact same as everyone else with a bow/staff/sword...

BOTH games have features I think are great, and some that make me cringe. Both teams have their pros and cons. Instead of bashing, and tearing apart games that have not even launched, based on speculation at best, maybe people could realize how lucky we are to have TWO companies competing for our attention with a game we all are obviously passionate about..? Nah, that's just crazy talk....

The one very simple thing so many of you are overlooking is this concept called 'personal preference'. Some people want a robust, well-populated world where there are plenty of sheep for the wolves to hunt, while others seem to just want a PvP-centric world of wolves competing with other wolves over loot drops, and bragging rights. Regardless of your vision of the perfect DFO, there are PLENTY of others who feel different than you, which is exactly why there's room for more than one game based on the DFO foundation. As long as neither company alienates their devoted players (as we all know too much about already), there's no reason both games can't be successful.

It's like McDonald's competing with Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Both serve food, but it's unlikely they are taking business from one another, as they have completely different clientele to begin with.

To each their own...

LordCaligular and NonFactor like this.
  7. murk

murk Crypt Guard
    Supporter

No reason to not try both games. Support the franchise and pick which one you like best. We have 3 Darkfalls to choose from, show appreciation!

8. ODB

ODB Akathar
    Hero

I know from being a Software Developer that one does not just simply "update old libraries"

#168 ODB, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  9. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

best sig of 2004

10. Rosco

Rosco Undead Dwarf

Good times are coming!

11. Train of Pain

Train of Pain Infernal
    Loyal Streamer Contributor Legend

Sure on paper as it is right now RoA definitely appears to be the superior version of the two.....but that is on paper. Hell the Raider's football team has looked good on paper but it performs like straight ass. I'm not saying RoA is ass so don't take this comment as I am saying that but what I am saying is that it doesn't matter which version we or i or you feel is better it is completely going to depend on where the player base is. Lets say 40% of all RoA and DND players play RoA and 60% play DND. Well thats not bad as long as that 100% is over "X". Now if X = less than 2,000 players and 60% of that 2,000 were on DND then that puts the population of RoA at approx 800 and everyone knows that the DF world map is too damn big to play the game with that few of players without a "portal system" like Asheron's Call. Now with that being said if the population was over 10k then it doesn't matter which game we like because there are plenty of players in both versions. Hell, I would really like to see the pop 50k+ for both of the games so you had to earn your right to farm certain spawns. I would even like to see RoA and DnD work together and put together a Best of the Game tournament. ten teams of ten (top 50 of each server) dropped into a Hunger games type arena. This obviously only possible if the combat mechanics in both game are similar or the game. That last part could of been a topic of its own but when I get going its hard to stop the Train!
    --- Post updated ---
    Come on Clarence you are better then this. Stereotypical bullshit comment doesn't require a stereotypical bullshit response. You were in the right to respond but this stereotyping shit needs to check itself at the door. Americans get a bad name in most regards because of a few individuals who do not know how to control the muscles in his mouth, in this case his fingers on the keyboard.

#171 Train of Pain, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Lycanthrope likes this.
  12. Ch4r4x

Ch4r4x Winterbound
    Hero

big lol @ kids getting offended at internet "racism"