Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

New PC build, best processor

Discussion in 'Support' started by RoD, Apr 7, 2019.

1. RoD

RoD Undead Dwarf
    Wealthy Legend

Im thinking buying a new PC build.

What you think is the best processor for ROA in the market?

Or best processor / graphic card combination.

2. auehuempopizde

auehuempopizde Goblin Scout

120 hz ok

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. KoKane

KoKane Chosen of Khamset
    Wealthy Loyal Patron Benefactor Contributor

120hz monitor
    120ghz processor
    120gb SSD
    120 button mouse
    120 button keyboard
    120decibel desktop microphone

4. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Don't buy your next CPU JUST for Darkfall.

And GPU is practically irrelevant for Darkfall unless you're doing something retarded like playing in 4k or using something REALLY old/weak.

I'll gladly help you with your build if you provide me with the following...

1. Your budget range

2. Your intended monitor refresh rate and resolution

3. How long you want the new build to last before you have to upgrade it or parts of it AGAIN

4. Any other games out or coming in the future that you're interested in or other things you may want to do with it at some point (video editing? streaming to twitch/youtube?)

5. and most importantly what are you CURRENTLY using and when do you NEED the new PC because a lot of stuff is changing over the next 3 months

Kol Taggar likes this.
  5. RoD

RoD Undead Dwarf
    Wealthy Legend

1 - 2k$
    2 - Asus 240hz 1920*1080 is my actual monitor
    3 - I would like to not update in at least 3 years.
    4 - Ye, probably streaming and maybe some 3D glases/games.
    5 - i7 4790k processor, a Asus GeForce Strix GTX 970, 16g RAM i have a M.2 and the rest of the doesnt matter.

thx for your help

#5 RoD, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  6. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Your current PC (assuming its overclocked) is literally good enough that a new one won't make any difference for Darkfall.

Yours is actually better than mine and I'm still waiting for Intels new architecture in 2020 as well as Nvidias 7nm GPUs the gap is going to be a massive performance jump AND price reduction from current top of the line CPUs and GPUs and that's not even factoring AMDs new Ryzen 3000 series launching in June/July and their Navi GPUS in Q4 2019 (think Nvidia RTX 2070 or GTX 1080TI levels of performance for half the price)

NOW is a REALLY bad time to upgrade especially if you're going high end which $2,000 basically is and want to time it for maximum usefulness before needing to upgrade any parts.

Save your $ and wait is my strong advice otherwise if you insist on doing it now the ONLY CPU that remotely makes sense is the intel 9900k and GPU wise... ugh I don't even want to recommend one at their current prices but I will if you reply saying you're sure you want to upgrade now.

I'll also include all the other part parts as a list from PCpartpicker with a $2,000 budget, but not going to the trouble right this minute until I know

KoKane, Kol Taggar and onslaught like this.
  7. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Celestial
    Loyal Legend

smurf's advice is in line with some advice I recently got from a coworker who is 'in the know'

8. RoD

RoD Undead Dwarf
    Wealthy Legend

thx both

ill wait

9. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YdnwBb

Upgrade GPU as budget warrants, but the 1660ti will play anything on high, and a better one won't help with Darkfall at all.

The better option is always waiting, but another Crysis isn't on the horizon, and game devs aren't developing to max out a 2k rig from 2020.

10. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

11. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

i upgraded to i5 9600k and a rtx 2070 and sieges performance still sucks.

its time to bpg think in how to get the game performance better.

its dont even cant support a 35v35 fight without a massive drop of frames per second if game get populated someday it will frustrating for new players.

12. Dotix

Dotix Air Elemental
    Wealthy Legend

DF only utilizes a single core, you can run DF on a wooden pallet plugged into a toilet.

13. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

You should still get ~90fps in a large scale fight. Do you have it overclocked at all?

NonFactor likes this.
  14. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Star Citizen is unironically the next Crysis. And there are and will soon be MANY games where 8 cores 16 threads is ideal.

That's TERRIBLE build advice.

It's like you didn't even read the OP's posts...

Let alone know ANYTHING about hardware, software, or the current/ future state of gaming outside of Darkfall.

Following Rex’s advice would be a huge waste of money and you'd need a new upgrade MUCH sooner.

It's literally autistic

15. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

- A smurf post [check]
    - A smurf post belitting someone else while claiming his own ideas are superior [check]
    - A smurf post about how star citizen is guna be the next best thing [check]

Ladies and gentlemen, we have hit peak REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE levels. Prepare for impact.

16. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Celestial
    Loyal Legend

who woulda thought that a thread about this type of thing would deliver like this

Sero likes this.
  17. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

LOL
    • The OP's post is very specific: Best CPU for RoA.
    • Games that support 16 threads also support 6 threads, but not vice versa. Most of the raw data processing power increase from hyperthreading is geared specifically toward "productivity" applications, not gaming. Performing many small tasks simultaneously isn't useful for many things in gaming beyond pre-rendering frames for shit like adaptive supersampling. Pre-rendered frames cause input lag, so it's only useful for "cinematic" singleplayer games. Games benefit most from the cores themselves, not threads.
    • No one gives a fuck about Star Citizen
    Don't know why I'm ever bothering to type this out, you're not worth educating. Have you even logged into RoA once?

18. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

I swear you have SDS, Smurf Derangement Syndrome.

What I stated is literally fact not opinion.

I could educate you on WHY Rex’s advice was bad by providing dozens of citations, but frankly it's not worth my time.

I have nothing to gain and the opinion of the ignorant is irrelevant. I'd actually prefer you to fuck up and waste $ so I can say I told you so later.

I came here to help the OP. If people don't want to take my thoroughly researched hardware/ software advice (particularly what's coming in the future) that's their problem.

Buying a 9600k today is retarded for many reasons, especially when you already have a 4790k

19. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

You really do have no fucking idea what you're talking about, huh?

You'd know better if you'd ever logged into RoA, I suppose. Either way, acting like you're knowledgeable when you're clearly not is beyond pathetic. I'd go into detail as to why the difference between the two CPUs is specifically drastic for RoA, but again, you're not worth the effort.

Reply to this like you know what you're talking about, hope it makes you feel bigger than you are, champ.

20. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

How do you still don't understand there is more the OP cares about than just RoA today?

And that having a 4790k (an already good CPU for RoA) and upgrading to a 9600k is a stupid decision when MUCH better both single threaded, but especially multithreaded (ie future proof) CHEAPER CPUs are 2 months away.

You think like a child and have no understanding of the benefits of delayed gratification or knowledge of the hardware/software space as it pertains to the near future.

And it's not just the 9600k that was a bad decision, other parts of your suggested build are sub optimal as well, even with regards to a hyperfocus on RoA and limited budget. It's not terrible, but it's not nearly ideal.

You are offering a build that fits YOUR immediate budget/ needs NOT the OP's