Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

New player aspect

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by chance21021, Apr 2, 2016.

1. chance21021

chance21021 Goblin Warrior
    Hero

The most important thing that should be focused on is having a low turnover of new players coming in. If you put them in open world they will end up quitting. This game takes alot of skill to where the average players in dfo are usually above average in gaming. So for the majority of the gaming population which is below average gamers. We need to make sure they don't get drove to the ground and quit.

I believe the vets and new players need to be separated somehow. Because if you have a few jet booms running around who camp newb spawns they will be toxic to the future of this game. I'm not necessarily trying to give you a whole plan and set it in motion I'm simply trying to plant the seed that this needs to be a priority before release.

1 suggestion

one continent for new players that vets cannot get to. 1 month life span of being on the island with the option of being teleported to the main continents. death timers can auto res to be more noob friendly. and add a few other things.

2. Seronys

Seronys Skeleton Archer
    Tester

Yarr, noobie Island is a good idea. Make it roughly about the size of a racial starter zone, make a tutorial (that isn't shit). Just be sure to add a skip option to the whole thing, we don't want to be stuck running down a long straight path shooting targets, and sprinting past a dragon to get to a portal.

chance21021 and Tuloth like this.
  3. Yourlordandsavior

Yourlordandsavior Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

I think a newbie island would be a great idea, funny how I never really thought of this before considering the only open world pvp games with loot I played before dfo both had newbie islands.

I think there should be a maximum time you could stay there as well as caps on crafting and combat skills as well as attributes which you can achieve there.

4. Nuyur

Nuyur Wildtribe Mage

You know that average means that its the half way point.
    So half the gamers are below average, and the other half is above average.
    Im not comfortable with
    Either you need to readjust what the average gamer is capable of, or rephrase this sentence.

I agree darkfall takes a lot of practice to even get to a usefull level, so a starter island would make sense.
    But i dont think a tutorial is going to do a whole lot. It may instruct you on what to do, it may even show video's of what it should look like.
    Personally i needed a lot of time and loads of critics from fellow players before i got to an acceptable level. (still far below average on the DFO scale)

5. mcdoogs

mcdoogs Chosen of Khamset

Actually having new player friendly clans (and not just one, multiple preferably race alliance based) being advertised by the game in the capital NPC cities would be awesome and the clan recruitment postings could be made part of the tutorial to entice people to join them. We the players are always going to be better at teaching the game than any tutorial/safe zone can be.

6. Depetch

Depetch Goblin Scout
    Legend

PENETRATOR likes this.
  7. Franchise

Franchise Fire Elemental
    Supporter

8. DestLocke

DestLocke Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

You called?

9. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  10. Franchise

Franchise Fire Elemental
    Supporter

I wanted to make sure you read the OP so it plants the seed in your brain. Any player who previously played dfo has their mind made up and the majority that know of ROA are impatiently waiting it's forthcoming. Before the game is released I would love to see a new player implementation with something along the idea of what was posted. As the suitability of the game depend's on grabbing ahold of new clientele so to speak.

I as well will do my part with a lot of tutorials this time around, I had a lot of knowledge of the game that I kept to myself to give my team an advantage. I won't make the same mistake twice. #ROAmatters

11. Ganon Dragmire

Ganon Dragmire Goblin Scout
    Hero

A noob island sounds great and all, but guess what, they are still gonna be a noob when they land in Agon. I don't see it being worth all the work it would take to produce it.

12. T00L

T00L Goblin Shaman
    Legend

Imo supporting the brand new player to df is imparitive to rise of agons success.
    Noobie island is a nice idea but could be hard to implement. I think brand new players need to be bombarded with how-to info via forums, ingame browser ,a mentor system needs to be implemented and available. Better starting backpack too. Guilds like new are important and are needed as well.

Franchise likes this.
  13. DestLocke

DestLocke Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

For sure, NPX is going to be one of our major focuses before launch. Without being able to keep new players, RoA will not grow.

Bartlebe and T00L like this.
  14. Anthrax

Anthrax Goblin Warlord

I think something needs to be implemented to help "protect" the new players from the wolves until they can fend for themselves so they dont ragequit.

I love the hi risk all or nothing aspect of DFO and always have. Like many of us who have played DFO losing pixels is either meaningless or close to it but for many new players it could REALLY turn them away.

They need to be protected against these types specifically...

FWIW...

15. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

We have to do something to protect newbies from people like Jet Boom and Ginger Magician

I'd like to help because I feel bad seeing them get picked off like baby sea turtles but unless you give me a reason to go stomp the people bothering them out I can't be bothered to run over to the NPC cities

16. Ganon Dragmire

Ganon Dragmire Goblin Scout
    Hero

A few things that will demoralize, piss off new players:

1. Entering the contra cheat code to cast spells or switch weapons
    2. Reading the chat, which resembles the graffiti on a port-a-potty wall
    3. Killed at a goblin spawn by vet, while trying to enter contra cheat code and reading the inspiring chat.

Very few gamers this day and age will endure that shit.

17. Yourlordandsavior

Yourlordandsavior Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

Someone who has been developing his char for a week or two and lands on agon with some gear in the bank and some char development is more invested in the game and less likely to quit than a person who lands on agon with nothing and gets ganked and teabagged on a goblin spawn over and over again.

Franchise and gosti like this.
  18. Franchise

Franchise Fire Elemental
    Supporter

I think the crafting system is bad for early game and new players. Every death to a new player being a major process to gear back up etc. could come off as too time consuming. The crafting system doesn't need to be changed but I think a very high drop rate of bottom tier starter gear could help keep players around. This way they can consistently build their bank up with at least farming gear from consistently going back out again. Having to gather resources then go craft to use low tier gear is too much work for how often a new player has the possibility of dying.. think about it.

Lakisuria_Moonglade likes this.
  19. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Lakisuria_Moonglade Varangian Warthane
    Legend

I'd definitely be cool with more drop-rates on low-tier gear. I'd even say up to R40 weapons on the mid-range mobs considering I don't recall them being very marketable once R5+ hits the scene. Additionally everyone will be able to craft up to R40s anyway even with the new crafting changes.

Armor-wise not so sure. Up to padded and chain maybe? Or even scale on mid-range mobs? I definitely don't see this bashing pvp in any way and unless there is a equipment overhaul I can't imagine it breaking the "current" economy to my understanding.

BraP eX likes this.
  20. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

the new players who leave are those who do not like to lose those playing other games very simple ... there are clans that protect new players many abandoned because the increased skills too slowly