Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

New Player Experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Law, Sep 19, 2015.

1. The Law

The Law Goblin Warlord
    Supporter

First off, I personally loved being thrown into the world of DF without having a single clue. I found it really fun to stumble along and learn as I went. But I'm a really weird guy and most people aren't like me. Massivelyop had a news post about DFUW's free weekend and I was curious to see what a new player's perspective would be since both DF and DFUW kinda have the same NPE. The first post I read was basically complaining about the fact that the game didn't really hold your hand and guide you along. Which lead me to the thought that people who have the "hand holding" mentality, don't really belong in a hardcore sandbox mmo. I can understand the need to teach a new player the controls and the basics of combat, but past that I really don't think you should cater too much to them. I mean isn't it the point of a sandbox to be thrown into a world and simply start playing however you want? Most people prefer to be told what to do and where to go at all times for some weird reason that I'll never be able to comprehend.

Just curious how everyone here feels about new player experience and the hand holding mentality most mmo'ers have these days. I personally think someone with that mentality is going to quit the game sooner or later because of x reason.

Here's the Massivelyop comments if your interested, maybe the devs here can contact some of these people to get a more in depth perspective?
    http://massivelyop.com/2015/09/18/play-for-free-in-darkfall-this-weekend/#comments

2. Bloodprince

Bloodprince Goblin Warrior
    Legend

I completely agree! I think we should cater to a wider audience but I don't think we should cater to everyone. Some people just aren't meant for this type of game and trying to force it might just turn the other crowd away.

3. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

I think we can have better player retention with better documentation.. at the very least better documentation on where to go for this, where to go for that..

When I first started playing, I loved it... but I was so fucking lost.. I didnt know when other schools of spells would open up.. I didnt even know where to go to buy spells.. There was no direction once so ever..

I had to be resourceful and look up guides on the forums and youtube videos.. Valroth made a great one...

The only thing needed here is just better documentation.. no hand holding..

Maybe a coloring book or lots of pictures

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Etheom

Etheom Goblin Warrior

Perhaps the game should launch with an in-depth document explaining all of the basic and advanced mechanics. Perhaps it will contain hyperlinks to videos produced by the team to display certain basic and advanced tutorials.

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Goblin Scout

The new player experience is something I'd need to sit down and mull over, that being said I would be looking to make it easier on to get them more adjusted to DF and how things work. The starting quests are alright but could use improvement for starters.

6. yewhatever

yewhatever Stormgraive

Just have information available on the game website.
    From items, to skills, to stats, to the world map.

i know the community at least coverd parts of that, but it shouldnt be so hard for a new player to find.

7. Hugo

Hugo Gravelord

The new player experience in my opinion should offer immediate tutorial quests on killing a few mobs, gathering some iron or wood etc, crafting an item or two, then letting them loose with the basic tools/gear to make a go of it.

I believe DF:UW does something similar.

8. yewhatever

yewhatever Stormgraive

The first thing you had to do when getting into UW was a step by step control check.
    After that, they had you weapon switch a bit to show the different styles.
    Then it was a run to the portal to get into the actual game.

Then there were no quests?
    But you had those prowess markers leading you to do various things in the game.
    They were the line of progression, and since you needed prowess for everything...it sorta worked.

9. KeithStone

KeithStone Deadeye
    Supporter

Give us a wiki on this site, that will solve the issue!

Any decent game has a wiki that is run by the players, I bet most of the wiki could be completed before the game opened up for beta.

Guides, guides and more guides! There needs to be guides on the wiki, written guides and youtube video guides, etc.

You don't have to hold players hand, I think a lot of it has to do with people having full time jobs, friends, kids etc. They just want to get into the game and start playing, they don't want to have to spend a couple weeks just learning how to play. I know a lot of players want their hands held and this game will never win them over, however there are those that are in between a hardcore player and someone who needs their hand held. I think they can be retained if they at least know where to get the documentation on what to do and where to go for x, y, z etc.

10. Lord Zanuul

Lord Zanuul Spellgazer
    Legend

I will be working very heavily on this aspect of the game ... i know what the complaints were from most of the new players from df1 .. we dont have to hold their hand per say but we need to introduce them to what darkfall is all about. Things that actually matter to new players .. like key binds .. mouse sensitivity.. . Why are these so important ... little secrets about the game mechanics that could shave off hours of frustration so we can get them into the game and competing immediately.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature