Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

New player livestream and live critique - LIVE NOW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thug Life, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Thug Life

Thug Life Gravelord
    Hero

So I've gotten 50 quickness today, and I bought the skill that increases my stamina regeneration.
    It's a very noticeable difference when running around, but 50 quickness was like a 4 day build-up. Is it reasonable for new players to wait 4 days before they can run around the map effectively?

New players are low on supplies such as reagents or mounts to begin with, and they are a group that likely does the most movement on foot out of everyone else. They do a considerable amount of running around (quests, harvest titles, killing 400+ mobs for quests).

It might be a nice thing to lower the stam drain from running overall because I can say that from my experience, running quickly became tedious and annoying. Considering long distance travel plans became frustrating. Do you think every new player will wait 4 days for 50 quickness to see this improvement to movement? Or do you think that they will get fed up once they run out of reagents and don't feel like crawling around the map anymore?

I thoroughly enjoy this new ability, but I'd like to keep in mind the fact that many people trying out a new MMO won't even make it this far. The first 3-4 hours are very important to retaining new players. If a new person sees that they're walking more than running, or that simply moving your character is a chore, they might think twice about logging on for that second day.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Kilset

Kilset Black Knight
    Hero

it doesn't take 4 days to get 50 quickness, you've done something wrong, which is understandable seeing that you're a noob. Regardless, they are going to increase gains on stat gains.

3. Thug Life

Thug Life Gravelord
    Hero

I meditated on it

The timer is something like 3 days and a few extra hours to 50, but the first day of playing I didn't mediate at all
    Is there another way to raise quickness without mediation?

4. Zaffa Hex

Zaffa Hex Skeleton Archer
    Legend

Good observation - I couldn't agree more. IN fact I remember saying on DF1 forums to AV after re-rolling that both the stamina and HP regen skills needed to be made a baseline skill.

There is no sense of 'progresion' there imo, just a iunnescessary handicap. The lack of stamina regen is also somewhat compunded by the survivalist skill, or lack thereof at the start. Let noobs have stamina!!

They should also start all chars off with two mounts imo and allow free tiral players to use mounts. I have given away shit ton of monts to trial players but they cant use them yet. So i trade them and watch them slowly walk off, its quite sad!!

#24 Zaffa Hex, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Magvanox likes this.
  5. Thug Life

Thug Life Gravelord
    Hero

The ability to jump and aim seems needlessly restrictive as well

6. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

You can jump then aim you just cannot aim then jump.

At launch of original df you could though it's something the original devs patched in.

7. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Many spells can be upgraded with "jump casting."

8. Thug Life

Thug Life Gravelord
    Hero

Yeah I know that's what I'm talking about :p

Seems weird

9. Frog

Frog Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

It's for balancing purposes. If you can jump cast every spell then it's a lot easier to kite destros.

10. Thug Life

Thug Life Gravelord
    Hero

Streaming now! Come hangout

Thanks for answering my questions and being br0z, Darkfall Community
    --- Post updated ---
    So my free trial ended today and I am left with conflicting feelings in regards to continuing on or not

Pros:
    -Aim-based combat
    -Endgame "looks fun" when watching pvp videos, and there is potential for some good times to be had if I pay for the subscription
    -Helpful community (at the moment)
    -Productive and interactive devs
    -Solid game development direction and fairly frequent patching
    -The latest patch has made skill gains much quicker, which is a definite plus for getting friends to play with me and for becoming pvp viable
    -Many monsters drop gear pieces, which gives me a nice feeling as I loot them. It's as if I can keep fighting by just using the mob's gear drops as I go along
    -Traveling the map through clan portals is nice, and I like the chaos banks around the map which a player is able to live out of if they feel like it
    -Back-hits are still just as satisfying as ever
    -A large range of abilities to choose from for endless theory-crafting
    -Plenty of online material for learning how to pvp/use spells properly on Youtube
    -Large range of gear pieces within the game, and monsters dropping loot similar to the gear they are wearing is really cool
    -Load times seem to be better than Unholy Wars
    -Racial differences are nice, and making trade-offs for hitbox size or reach to gain other abilities is sort of fun. You can choose what playstyle you'd like from the start
    -Many starting quests offer potions to increase your stats as a new player
    -The Green stone (idk the name) drops that add currency to your account are nice/interesting and getting one always gives me a moment where I'm like "awfuckyeah" as I spam click those little shits
    -Monsters seem to have a decent range of spells available to them to use against players
    -Crafting skill gains are satisfying when you're starting out because you're constantly leveling in the same crafting session
    -The looting bag on the player paperdoll is very nice for keeping my inventory managed and tidy

Cons:
    -Endgame "looks fun" but the gap between new players and players with their stats leveled is like night and day. Looking at the swing and aim speed alone shows this very clearly. I was shooting a mob in fullplate for 4 damage the other night; not fun.
    -I was playing the game using the default settings for a while and I was getting like 70 fps. I changed my option settings from PS3 shader (default) to PS1_1 and my FPS jumped from 68 to 184
    That is an insane jump, almost to the point where PS1_1 should be the default option
    -Skill gains have been made quicker, but the direction from the game on where to level is still lacking. For example, if killing the "right monsters" for my level, leveling weapon skills is fairly fluid and fast, but when killing say, 5 trolls at level 42 2h sword skill, you might see an increase of .10 to your sword skill. Without a world map pulled up on a second monitor and without asking around, leveling skills can still feel very slow and very grindy
    -Key binds are very confusing to people starting out. Many may assume that we are limited to the 1-0 keys and may never bother with additional binds, while others may become confused or frustrated trying to figure out how to rebind their bars properly. Learning the bind mechanics and spending hours theorycrafting and toggling placements isn't overly fun, and it can be a large turn-off to some.
    -Movement is too costly. Even with the stam regeneration skill, simply moving takes too much stat management and reagents. Moving on foot feels like a chore, and like every step is costing me something.
    -I get no satisfaction from killing monsters other than the loot that they could drop. In UW every kill was followed by a small drop of powess, and a tough kill would feel more rewarding when seeing the large prow drop come in. Killing mobs feel more like, "so what?" It might be interesting to add small drops of med. points on some kills to give players that feeling again.
    -Weapon switches feel delayed and using abilities does not always feel fluid. Example: if I am clicking to swing white hits and then if I que power attack, there are many occasions where the game will ignore my input and continue to white hit. It seems like you must take pauses between white hits and move ques to get the desired outputs which leads to a feeling of fighting with the UI more than the other player/monster
    -Many of the 'cool' gear pieces that are dropped from monsters tend to be on the lower end of the ranking system, making them largely impractical for pvp and medium-high level pve and therefore are mainly aesthetic pieces
    -Though many mobs drop gear, a player (at least me, anyways) tends to run out of reagents/arrows before they can really benefit from using this looted gear at the farm spot. Example: It seems cool that you could loot mob gear, wear it, and continue on farming the mobs for hours on end. The bottleneck to these farming sessions isn't the gear though, it's the reagents and the arrows (again, for me). I am not a fan of transfers requiring reagents at all simply because of how required transfers are, though many here would disagree I'm sure.
    - Arrow crafting is too expensive. For advanced players the gold might seem like nothing, and goldsinks are needed (so I'm told) but making arrows for 1 farming session can cost thousands of gold. Gold that I do not have as a new player trying to level the bow skill.
    -The "good" archery skills that make archery fun such as the abilities to make it quicker to aim, and that allow you to do more damage are on the high end of the scale. The good abilities are at 75 cap, which I don't see as being very fun. You are forced to shoot what is essentially a peashooter thousands of times at a very slow pace before you can actually reach the level of 'real archery,' and the different between a new and a capped player is again, like night and day. Spreading the speed/damage abilities out might be better. So at 25, 50, and then 75 instead of loading it all on to two 75 skills. It is very discouraging to shoot a person for a sliver of damage when they shoot you back for a large chunk of health.
    -The inventory rearranges itself frequently. I'm not sure what causes this, but if I've organized my weapons or drops in certain spots of my inventory, I quickly notice that they have been moved around again. I believe that this is mostly due to weapon switches. It would be cool if gear had some form of memory for their previous placements
    - After capping my stats at 25 through questing I was dropped into a pit of "now what?" What do I do now? Kill random shit to skill up? What shit do I kill? Why, and is that the fun part? How can I sell this loot? Where should I bind? Should I care about quests at all anymore, and are the pro players questing or just killing?
    -Meditation is not explained well in the first few hours of gameplay, and I personally went a day and a half without mediating on anything at all. A guided tutorial that leads you to the mediation page would be nice.
    -Mounts are a welcomed feature but I would like to see them expanded on. Roads that let you ride faster, carry capacity increases while on mounts, more fast mounts, and no stam drain for riding on a mount
    -Player cities feel barren with lots of un-used space; the hamlets are filled out a little better however.
    -The world map could use some better markers to indicate player's position and direction, mob spawns, cities, etc

The gap between new players and leveled characters is very discouraging. Shooting a person in the back for like 10 damage gives you a very defeatist attitude towards PVP. I know that it gets better, and I know that there's a lot of fun to be had, but I'm also not sure if I can be fucked to grind through the un-fun parts for the promise of actual content and player interaction.

All things considered, Darkfall has been enjoyable in its own way, but at the moment I am left feeling very conflicted. Some part of me wants to say fuck it and move on because of the "meh" moments that I've felt while grinding stats, but another part wants to push on and to reach end game because it definitely "looks" fun. Faster swing speeds, real damage, real stat management, real conflict. When starting out, none of these things are available to you and it is very apparent. I think that that is my main gripe out of all of it.

I'll likely still buy the game and slowly chip away at stats through meditation and the odd skill grind trip, but until I start leveling out with the other players around me, I can't see myself playing daily like I used to in UW.

At the moment, discouraged is the best way to describe my early Darkfall experience.
    --- Post updated ---
    Lmao please remove the chance to fizzle on bindstone recalling :joycat:
    --- Post updated ---
    So I've bought the 75 archery skills and I must say that going from doing 11 dmg per shot to doing 33 per shot has changed my perception of archery quite a bit. Personally I feel that 75 is too high of a stat-wall for these skills. At 75 your damage more than doubles and your aim speed increases significantly as well. I would prefer to see these buffs spread out over more skills instead. So damage and speed boost skills at 25, 50 and 75, instead of it all being at 75. This would give a better sense of progression.

I've also gotten 50 2h sword skill and whirlwind which I thoroughly enjoy as well.

I've actually won a few duels now, which always feels good, and my archery is improving steadily.

I'm noticing that I still lack a lot of self-heals at the moment. I only really have heal self, potions and stamina to health at the moment. I suppose the next step is to get witch's brew.

I find that I am offline more than I am online at the moment because I haven't seen a way to level my base attributes such as strength, dex, quickness etc without meditation, so I'm basically just waiting offline for my stats to become high enough that I'm able to farm/duel effectively

#30 Thug Life, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Foomanchu, LRM and mrW like this.
  11. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

stat gain is x3 when actively playing now. Definitely able to "focus" a stat. It's just not fast.

12. Thug Life

Thug Life Gravelord
    Hero

What counts as "Actively playing" ?
    Just being online? Or do you need to be in combat stance or something

13. Dixie Normus

Legend

anything you do in game that would raise a stat(except meditation) now raises it 3x faster.

14. Thug Life

Thug Life Gravelord
    Hero

What actions raise attributes? I don't think I've seen them increasing through combat, though I think wisdom increased when I was harvesting

15. Dixie Normus

Legend

melee raises str and quickness for example
    archery raises dex

fishing raises wisdom fast as does any crafting

harvesting metal nodes and trees gives good str/vit i believe

if you open up your stats and do an action for example hit a tree you will notice the stats that said action raises with slightly highlight and you can tell wjhat is being raised.

pretty much any action you can take in game raises at least one stat if not several.

Wes Furtive and Thug Life like this.
  16. Thug Life

Thug Life Gravelord
    Hero

Awesome thanks
    --- Post updated ---
    I really like what you've done with the newplayer meditation gainz

Getting small boosts of items/gold/med points for doing early tasks feels really rewarding and fun :)

It's really cool to see the game like this, tons of new players farming the goblins in safezone and roaming around. I've actually been looking for an unmined ore node for like 15 minutes now; crazy to see contested basic nodes in a Darkfall game
    --- Post updated ---
    Goin live for a bit

--- Post updated ---
    Edit: Bumped the wrong thread, mb
    Hey everyone

Uncle Jo likes this.