Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

New players of Rise of Agon: After a few days, what are your thoughts on the game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nat, May 11, 2017.

1. Eagleglow

Eagleglow Ghost
    Hero

why gear feels like its overpowerd when they got higer ranks is because in the begining no one got dmg, in late game gear dont mean anything really you still going to die in a dragon set to a naked if your bad

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Sacrillegious likes this.
  2. Kurise LXV

Kurise LXV Deadeye

Except the experience in both games are at opposite ends of the spectrum. CSGO is easy to get into. Darkfall is not.

3. Eradoras

Eradoras Goblin Scout

Tons of good remarks, some really fun (from my perspective of course...).

Can we expect from the post creator or from an admin to have a kind of resume of recurent remarks, answers to have a kind of follow-up on this and why not some statement from the developpers as actions/changes eventually to make ?

I would like just to add one remarks from my side. I fully trust that Rise of Agon should be a real new game. And not a kind of Ghost and repetition coming from the past. This should be our hard line to keep to lead us on the right path. To keep the state of mind of this wonderfull game but to play it differently.

By the way i am a newbie and still i may hope for a long time :)

Last Hope

4. Anthrax

Anthrax Goblin Warlord

Look at all these new names and new players posting in this thread after its only up for a short time.

I feel all warm and tingly inside seeing a solid pop and solid dev team behind this game :)

Uncle Jo, Magos, Fengor and 1 other person like this.
  5. clandestino2a

clandestino2a Skeleton Archer

pros : full pvp, good economy, fun to play, developpers listening their player base.
    cons : maybe the beginners tutorial could cover more things, i like hardcore games and i google a lot if i need but it can block new players from coming if they have trouble understanding certain mechanics at the beginning.

overall very good game, maybe one question, do you think one capital recall is enought to keep players on the good side ? being red offer the advantage to gank anyone anywhere and all being blue offer is one recall. i just worrying about blue/red ratio in the future, low blue pop mean dead citys for new players and its always good to see a game is alive when you begin.

6. Beasty

Beasty Goblin Scout

Cons:
    -As a solo player I can only kill trolls and goblins. Other mobs are too hard
    -grafting takes too much time and resources, I dont want to stare rocks and trees after I come home from work
    -ui is hard to use, took me hours to figure it out
    -as soon as I lost my newbie protection I got attacted by 3-4 players and lost all my stuff

Pros:
    -Open world and combat

7. brahji

brahji Black Knight
    Legend

hrmm. I don't know how you're going about farming mobs but anyone can kill mobs harder than trolls and goblins, including destros.

Fengor likes this.
  8. Shivs

Shivs Crypt Guard

That is a fair point, this game is not for everyone, for me I played Everquest until I realised all was doing was reaching 60 then chasing gear to get .05 better and take on a new end mob to get better gear to take on a new end mob!

DAOC was brilliantly in how it fostered a loyalty for your realm and also allowed the dev's to make a losing realm more attractive , but the constant rebalancing along with tab targeting killed it for me.

DF may not be for you but there is no shame in that, play what gives you a thrill, it's your time.

Malkar likes this.
  9. tech

tech Goblin Shaman

Pro's: I'm playing with people who have played since the original DF.

Con's: I have no idea what the fuck i'm doing

Things I'd change: My skill level :<

Overall thoughts: Played Ultima for years and is my favorite game, i'm not even a few days into DF yet and this is growing to be one of my favorite games period. Long live RoA

cya in the field soon enuf

- tech

10. Avarious

Avarious Wildtribe Mage
    Supporter

you can kill tons more mobs than just troll and goblins just takes practice and skilling your toon up.

11. GRamsay

GRamsay New Member

Pro's:
    - The game's potential is absolutely amazing. Vibrant, fresh, full of action and flavour.
    - Many opportunities to spank wanker donkeys
    - Developed by fucking good chefs who give a shit about their product
    - Beef Wellington in cooking mastery
    - Initial grind for newbies feels a lot less like a McDonald's trying to win a Michelin Star.

Con's:
    - Sometimes too confusing ya? Most gamers are donkeys and don't want to figure out shit by themselves. Gotta hold their hands like stupid fuckin' plonkers ya?
    - Graphics sometimes look hideous. Definitely room for improvement there ya?. I like my cake to look good even though it becomes shit after digestion.
    - Veteran donkeys knowing the game by heart can be scary to newbie pillocks. Throw some unexpected shit in there later on.

Things I'd change:
    - Graphics
    - More cooking items
    - Less donkeying around with papyrus and shit

Overall thoughts:

Michelin Star game. The game is in good hands and will be improved. I love it so far ya? Keep up the good work, donkeys.

Andrew, Whisper, JasonDark and 3 others like this.
  12. Shivs

Shivs Crypt Guard

Agree on mob difficulty, currently you can feel like a pve god on the initial mobs. The next level take more thought and time and can be a big step up.

On a positive note, this is the best time to be doing those titles as will really seem like a grind when your trying to do 400 goblins on your own with bored pk'ers dropping by!

BPG take note as I think this is when new player retention will get hard

13. Ulfang Blackmane

Ulfang Blackmane Skeleton Archer
    Hero

Good summary.

The only thing I would add to this is:

Where's the lamb SAUCE?!?!

No lamb sauce = gg RoA.

Andrew, GRamsay, Fenris and 1 other person like this.
  14. TheNoseKnows

TheNoseKnows Goblin Scout

Background: I have never played darkfall before. I have played EVE and Albion Online.

Pro's:
    - Skill based PVP
    - Good avenues for specialization early game
    - Escape is always a viable option when you are outmatched
    - Good developer communication
    - Open world PVP

Con's:
    - Gear economy is questionable since rank 0-20 gear is easily obtained from mobs (and soon to be r30) meaning crafters will be eating the cost of raising their skill since no one needs their low level crafts as they can be farmed in mass from mobs
    - Trading is aids and encourages the use of alts to transport items through a clan bank over great distances.
    - Farming in a group is often unprofitable, its better to solo or duo whenever possible.
    - Many unintuitive UI features like despawning a mount and buying magic schools.
    - A lot of the open world feels empty
    - Required to use third party guides to learn many "mandatory" parts of this game like keybinding or bunnyhopping
    - every 25 levels makes a difference is just wonkey

Things I'd change:
    - Add a global trade auction house, there is no reason not to since players can already transport items across the world instantly with alts and a clan bank.
    - Remove gear drops from mobs completely, aside from making crafting great again it has the added bonus of making mob looting less aids.
    - Upgrade the new player experience by a lot
    - Remove wardecs completely, it doesnt matter if people are safe inside an npc city, they cant do anything but be a crafting alt if they cant leave tower range without being ganked.
    - Add resource return on clan holding workbenches, make crafting safe in an npc city inefficient and make owning land more valuable.

Overall thoughts:
    Game isn't going to last long if you cant grab and keep new players. Sandbox games need a massive population to function.

15. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Black Knight
    Staff Member

I wanted to hop in here and say thank you all for the feedback you guys have been giving in this thread. We appreciate the honesty, especially from our new players here, and a lot of the concerns brought up are things we are either already working on or have plans to address.

We will be putting out an update this evening that will provide a status update and recap of the first week of launch, and it will address some of the feedback we have seen in threads like this one and others.

Fengor, Nat, JasonDark and 1 other person like this.
  16. brahji

brahji Black Knight
    Legend

yay

17. Sethisto

Sethisto Goblin Shaman

Pro's:

lots of freedom. I really like the character progression now with rise of agon. I only played for a month back during dfo, and quit due to the grind.

The starter quests and tasks were a huge boon. I wish I had more tasks to do.

I like that there isn't a resource for the game yet. Having to discover things on my own or by asking other players feels like I'm actually in a world and not just mindlessly following objectives like other games.

The world is actually really amazing looking, with giant towering rocks and floating cities. Its a lot of fun to just go out and explore while collecting papyrus.

Con's:

looting is a nighmare. I hate that there is 0 way to tell what you have looted, and even if you completely empty corpses they stick around. I spent an hour at gnolls yesterday, and the amount of gravestones made it almost not worth the effort.

I feel like some mechanics are in place just for some pointless hardcore pandering mindset. Long ass teleport times and channeling exiting a dungeon. Its already a risky world, and a lot of new people are going to be unwilling to explore it without more ways to escape. Ultima Online started this loot everything dangerous exploration trend, but there were always ways for newbs to escape via a clutch recall. There is no such option here, and I can't see people bothering with dungeons at all when over world spawns are more profitable and much safer.

There was a dungeon added to UO called Khaldun that had amazing loot, but no one bothered because you couldn't teleport out of it to escape. On private servers (made specifically for it's oldschool hardcore pvp) they always attempt to revitalize it by adding even better loot, but people still don't bother. Reds shouldn't ever have an easy time, and without a way to escape, people will just hide in the city/newbie spawns or quit when they get rolled at anything other than goblins. Hardcore danger is good, and i love the adrenaline rush, but there is a point where it just becomes not worth doing for a lot of people.

I also still really dislike the housing system and how empty cities and world are. It feels like they wanted to do UO style housing but ran out of time, leaving massive swaths of nothing. A lot of architectures in the world is pointless, and could do with more static treasure spawns or something else to collect. This game has so much awesome stuff to explore, but a lot is just empty.

Things I'd change: add NPCs to cities just to make them less empty. Open housing up a bit with a few areas designated for free build like ultima. Give people more options for escape.

Overall thoughts:

The game is great, just empty feeling. Even slapping a few more mob spawns out there would do it some good, but they could really use more treasure chests or something with actual good loot to give a reason to explore more often. Maybe even a mapping NPC that you turn in discovered locations to for gold. It seems like a shame that a lot of these amazing ruins and cities will never be explored.

#117 Sethisto, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  18. Jonah_Veil

Jonah_Veil Chosen of Khamset
    Supporter Streamer

They've added the portal network to a lot of those structures. They definitely mentioned using those structures for other things as well. Good feedback though.

19. webzero

webzero Goblin Scout

Yea thats exactly my point. When you have a Vet pooning noobs they are obviously going to sink and the games gonna crap out like the original. I've been creep gathering, paranoid as hell the last few nights that i'm gonna lose my rss lol. 2 hours and finally got 1 steadgrass to replace the mounts i lost to disconnects and Vets pooning my face.

#119 webzero, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  20. Ninogan

Ninogan Undead Dwarf
    Legend

Loving it so far. It's the closest we've had since df1 launch and it's pretty good. Only sad thing is that I'm so washed up and bad and I can't crutch on low ping melee but at least there's lots of people around to die against :D

RootedOak and Everrest like this.