Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

New players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oriphus, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Crypt Guard
    Hero

Where do you intend to get new players from?

(hi mom o/)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Any ideas? Don't forget there was something like 500k players who tried the DFO trial if we can get even 1% of those back to stay we are doing good.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Crypt Guard
    Hero

I was just wondering if it was something that had been thought about in depth yet. Wasn't expecting you to ask so many questions and put me on the spot like this >.> errm.

1. Seek to employ a PR rep? (if you not got one already that is)
    2. Permanent free trial with reduced access to the game and ability to perform (like being only able to play dwarf race, but perhaps maybe not something as harsh as all that)?
    3. Steam
    4. Give special access and privileges for limited times to large organisations for trials?

yeah that's all i got sorry.

4. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

They are all good ideas. I can only answer the first one in saying we have a marketing team at the moment working on ideas. All the others are great ideas for the future.

I think Darkfall was really before it's time and with all the survival games so popular at the moment hopefully we can capture some of them. The competitive crowd too should go crazy for a game like DF

5. DAlonso

DAlonso Finance Lead
    Team Lead

The thing is Darkfall Online already had a free 14 day trial, also a referal system wich we want to expand to help us to spread the word.

The other important thing is that DFO as it was shut down in 2011, was far far better and polished than in the release. A lot of people got such a bad taste of the first months of the game that they never tried again. And AV never did a good PR and marketing job when the game was released, in fact, many many potential players still don't know about Darkfall.

We think that with some effort in this area, and we have the people and talent to put effort in it, we can reach a lot of players and even now the time is more favorable than before, because all those survival games with full loot that are being liked by a lot of players.

6. IsilithTehroth

IsilithTehroth Gravelord
    Supporter

Making sure the rention rate is there through lesser grinding, more things to do other than pvp for the non wolf players, sandbox features and kingdom building.

7. DAlonso

DAlonso Finance Lead
    Team Lead

Lowering the power gap between vet and new player is TOP priority along with lessening the eternal spiral grind (but with measure, because that grind made us all attached and addicted to the game at some degree.)

8. Xipos<3

Xipos<3 Stormgraive
    Legend

Make a proper trailer for the game (I started on one in the standalone, might finish it up sometime soon ;) )

Raise awareness on the matter on relevant boards and communitites; Reddit pages, 4chan (lol), Steam, other MMORPG forums (Crowfall, Gloria Victis, Archeage etc.)

Tell your gamer friends that never got to try it out, and have them tell their gamer friends.

Contact DFO-launch clans that might play other games atm.

9. DAlonso

DAlonso Finance Lead
    Team Lead

We have some of that ideas in mind, but thank you. Community together will make this big. :)

10. noname777

noname777 Goblin Warlord

shouldnt there be a community forum for introduction threads and finding old friends/making clans etc

11. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

There's a thread for "post your DF name" which can be something along that lines. Once we get closer to a server (tm), I'm sure we'll make a clan discussion/recruitment forum for best drama location.

12. noname777

noname777 Goblin Warlord

thx

13. Hugo

Hugo Gravelord

Getting the word out about Darkfall is something that is going to happen on a large scale. We have an experienced marketing team fully supporting the game and are passionate about giving Darkfall the nurturing and support to reach as many potential players as possible.

Combined with our efforts to make the new/early player experience more enjoyable and seemless, we're confident we're going to be seeing lots of new faces.

14. Etheom

Etheom Goblin Warrior

Strong social media presence, youtube, facebook and twitter

15. Lord Zanuul

Lord Zanuul Spellgazer
    Legend

Darkfall has never had a problem getting new players .. the challenge hasbeen retaining them .. we are going to focus on retention ... marketing has their hands full and we havent even launched yet.

16. Oriphus

Oriphus Crypt Guard
    Hero

May I suggest soul bound racial tokens. You gain them for killing mobs and can trade them in at racial cities for various items (gear /weapons/ regs/ mats / racial weapons / what ever you see fit )

17. Fawley

Fawley Infernal
    Legend

It's completely against the idea of Darkfall to have soul bound items. At least ones that are useful. In DFO, AFAIK, there were only the three r0 wepons that were soul bound just so you weren't completely defenceless at all times.

My thoughts on helping new players is that a working alignment system will go a long way in helping new players while they stay within their racial home land(s). Red players would ideally be pushed away and blue players will not want to waste alignment on a noobs meagre items.

18. Oriphus

Oriphus Crypt Guard
    Hero

How exactly does it go against the idea of Darkfall? People can still collect full loot of gear and mats and what ever was being harvested etc. This would also help contribute to an alignment system, while giving people who are not so good at PvP a way to keep some of that time invested from PvE and helping them achieve a better Cognitive Flow .

I feel this would solve some of the issues that Darkfall has in player retention. I was really hoping for Lord Zanuul' perspective on it, I have seen posts of his in the past expressing concerns over certain issues that this system would help with (while I still appreciate your response, thank you).

You can look at it as radical change if you want, I just think it would be a good one for the health and future of the game. It is also just a matter of perspective, for instance if I suggested you implement it as a quest reward system where you get X amount of racial tokens for killing x / y amount of mobs, well this system is already a part of darkfall but just with a more rigid reward system, you could just consider my suggestion an expansion of an already existing feature. However when I call it a soul bound item dropped directly from mobs then this is when you see an issue. I suggested it this way around as I am trying to be practical in what the development team can implement in a reasonable time frame while at the same time believe it would help with the mental projection of achievable goals /progression / Skill v's difficulty for newer players.

I am a little confused with the comment about how you intend to keep reds out of racial lands, lots of main clan cities are in racial lands, plus if you forced reds out of racial areas then you are taking something like 50% or more of the map away from them?

19. yewhatever

yewhatever Stormgraive

So lets say i played 15 hours a day, every day, grinding away tokens.
    At some point, i get a soul bound dragon set + racial weapons.
    Now anybody who kills me can loot some reagents and a bunch of arrows.

You could suggest that such powerfull items cant be purchased with these tokens...
    But whats the point in making a cloth chest soulbound, you cant afford the 15? g to craft a new one?

So it comes down to what does it help save, if its worth using...its going to also stop people from looting that usefull thing from you.
    If its not worth using, why bother implementing it at all.

I know the defenition of usefull is subjective, that a veteran isnt even going to bother picking up a r30 weapon while some new player might think it very usefull. But you are taking away from their risk(s), without removing rewards.
    New players are going to get used to running around with almost complete soulbound items, and they will hit a barrier where their weak(er) gear is going to put them at such a disatvantage they are not likely to overcome it.
    At that point, they have to start (for the first time) investing into gear, which they arent used to lose at all.

While it may help keep players in the game for the first month or two, the losing of gear and items is best learned starting with things that are worth very little gold. Because if the first thing you really lose in the game is a set you've worked hours for, while before you only lost the loot you had obtained, its a big shock.
    Loads of people (that i played with) would log off after they lost an expensive gear bag in pvp or sieges (if we had no chance of winning anymore). Its annoying to lose so much work in an instant. You have to learn to deal with losses, because no matter what you will lose eventually.

20. Oriphus

Oriphus Crypt Guard
    Hero

@yewhatever

sorry for being rude but i have not got past your first sentence before needing to comment, I will read rest and amend as I go but needed to jump in right away ^^.

What mobs drop racial tokens and what you are able to purchase with them are completely up to what would be best balance for the game and should go through proper rigorous discussion and debate between the development team. For instance it could be low mobs and gear available for purchase could be only up to r50, mats, regs are same w/e.

(after reading a little more)
    Wait what? jesus NO xD, the things you purchase are not soulbound...just the tokens that mobs drop! and I would suggest that the amount that are gathered wouldn't be to high either, this is just a simple..."my last hour of grinding wasn't a complete waste of time even though I just got zerged the fuck down" a sense of progression regardless of the disappointing loss.

As I already explained in the above post, this is no different to picking up a quest as is currently in game - kill 100 goblins for example. If you kill 100 and then get killed it won't matter, you still get your reward. But this way people will see the progression constantly and if the return amount was sufficient and useful things could be purchased with them like regs and gear or what ever then it also gives incentives for people to stay blue. Yet it is not overbearing and does not impact on higher levels to much being as you will get to a point that it just won't matter anymore if you wanted to go red, you just wouldn't receive those extra perks that would be very welcomed by new players getting killed all the time. Also this is far easier to implement then expanding directly on the 'kill 10 rats' quests.

This isn't the total solution, but i really think it could help in many areas.