Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Noobies guide to easy living!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thubub, May 18, 2017.

1. Thubub

Thubub Goblin Shaman
    Legend

So with all the threads about what BPG needs to do to help noobs succeed, I thought we should have a thread about what the noob can do for themselves. Feel free to chime in with any helpful tips.

1. Safety in numbers!

This is self explanatory. Join a guild, find a group, pair up at spawns. This game is best played with friends at every level. It won't guarantee safety, but you stand a much better chance.

2. Leave the Human Zone!

The human zone is a gankfest full of bugged spawns, scammers, and thieves. Do yourself a favor and leave it. Go ANYWHERE! Just don't stay in that swamp of horrors past your starter quests.

3. Soloing doesn't have to be hard.

Avoid the capital cities and three starter cities in each zone. Instead head for the sparsely populated NPC cities that are outside that area. You will find different spawns with interesting drops, lots of resources, and probably won't be bothered.

That's a start, let's see what anyone else can come up with.

Nat, Kalos, Dixie Normus and 4 others like this.
  2. Slayven

Slayven Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Play to crush

Sacrillegious, Crunchy and Thubub like this.
  3. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Crypt Guard

4. Play Trammel, Frostfall, or WoW.

4. Thubub

Thubub Goblin Shaman
    Legend

5. Fight!

Do not run... fight. When you lose, think about the fight. What could have been done differently. What spells or skills did they use that I didn't. Get used to fighting so it becomes routine. Duel with vets and learn to fight. Then go pick a fight until you start winning.

Sacrillegious and KingLlama like this.
  5. 12204

12204 Deadeye

Go on..

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  6. Sethisto

Sethisto Goblin Shaman

Get begone and master using it ASAP

Map the mount to an easy to hit hotkey ASAP

Work on getting Witches Brew

Use scrolls to get heal self, mana to stamina, and stam to HP to 75 and chug food constantly. Always keep HP up.

Get to 25 smithing for banded armor. It helps a ton and takes only about an hour to do.

Join a big ass guild like The Gentlemen or something else. It helps a lot when the majority of people you see around are allies, and they regularly run hunting parties.

You can't do anything to most of these people running around, as most PKS are veterans, so focus on learning to escape first. It still amazes me how many people in full plate try to gank me at kobolds. It's not worth bothering. Your rank 0-10 weapons aren't going to dent someone in full plate with a r40. Begone away and mount up back to towers.

7. Imrys

Imrys Skeleton Archer

Push Escape

In the top bar of your screen, click the gear box that is Options

Go to Input Bindings

LOOK AT THIS SHIT. Like, go through all the tabs, and look at it.

Next, look at your hotbar, and notice that, toward the bottom, there is a sort of flattened arrow on it. Click around that and you will be able to expand it into a 10x10 grid

Go back to Input Bindings and notice that you can bind these slots.

Now, spend a few minutes in the town, under towers, and think about what you want your binds to be. Put transfers and heals and weapons and potions etc. etc. on binds that you can train with and reach.

After that, go watch a couple "launch PvP videos." Specifically, try to find some like the one by that guy from brutal (ninja turtle) who mercilessly slaughters a shit ton of total nubs.

Watch them get wrecked. Observe how they get wrecked:

1) Straight line running while getting hit in the back
    2) Nose in a grave looting while a player is LITERALLY KILLING YOU!!!
    3) Not noticing a red player walking up to you with a weapon out...

Now, don't do that shit. Find other vids where people aren't getting shit on. Vet vs. Vet battles sort of thing, and figure out what they are doing.

If, somehow, you are lucky enough to get shit on by some vet that rezzes you, SEND THEM A TELL AND TALK TO THEM! They might offer you tips, a party invite to show you around a bit, or, god forbid, maybe even a clan invite.

WyLd_SyDe, Nat, Dixie Normus and 4 others like this.
  8. Thubub

Thubub Goblin Shaman
    Legend

Seriously...do this!

Imrys likes this.
  9. merkmerk73

merkmerk73 Earth Elemental

Get the fuck out of human lands is the best advice by far

Wolf lands and Dwarf lands are sparsely populated and way less pks

WyLd_SyDe likes this.
  10. jefftxp

jefftxp Deadeye

I've seen more pk's in dwarflands than humanlands. That's just me though.

You can try fighting the reds, but you'll die in 4 hits because they're virgins who got ignored by girls in high school. Maybe you'll make it to the tower, try that. But, you'll probably die and that's okay. Just bank often, every 500 gold or so, every 100 ore, etc. All you can do is keep farming and getting stronger so you can hang later. Next point is important:

More power in numbers. If you come across other players at a spawn, join their party (press G on the player to invite). Grouping up with random players is fun and you'll meet some cool people to play with regularly. Perhaps even a clan. Can't recommend this enough.

Don't worry about your gear early game. A lot of newbies get attached to their goblin loot and first mount. Don't. It's all worthless, trust me. The ONLY thing that matters early game is getting your stats to 50+. You can do this just naked farming goblins all day if u want.

WyLd_SyDe likes this.
  11. Crunchy

Crunchy Deadeye

Be more like the big dawg slayven

Slayven likes this.
  12. tommeh

tommeh Dire Zombie
    Contributor Hero

Some ez keybinds. Try just to have 1 hot bar active and have everything else keybound, with a 2nd bar for unimportant buff/debuff
    Q mana to stam
    E stam to health
    T health to mana
    X witchesbrew/heal self
    Mouse button 3 meele
    Mouse button 4 staff
    Middle mouse button bow
    G sword/shield
    P heal other/sacarfice
    F1 food, f2 pot, f3 pot, f4 pot
    Change most of the default binds, like revive, gank, alternative use, paperdoll, change weapon direction. To free up bindings. Also remember you can have multiple skills on 1 binding, for example you can use tab for disabling blow and have both bow and sword skill on there. Or whirlwind on same button you use meele for. These are just some to get started with

Imrys likes this.
  13. Beasty

Beasty Goblin Scout

Why every noob guide says that I have to join a clan? So basically as a solo player I am fucked then.

14. Drago

Drago Deadeye

Once you are good you can play solo, but to get to that point will be incredibly harder if you dont have the support of a clan regarding advice, gear, free crafting, mob spawns..

15. Myater

Myater Eodrin
    Hero

Being solo is fine. People just saying look for a guild because it's easier to figure a game out when you have people around you who understand the game compared to just testing things out and figuring out for yourself what's good or bad.

Kalos likes this.
  16. jefftxp

jefftxp Deadeye

I'm a solo player but I group with people all the time as well. Like I said above, it's fun to group at spawns and it protects you as well

17. merkmerk73

merkmerk73 Earth Elemental

If you're but in a clan that's less people to kill you

18. tanto

tanto Dire Zombie

honestly it's just easier life because a lot of times you'll have clan/alliance crafters.

The trade in this game is a bitch and buying gear bags with gold is not easy.. lots of clans crafters only sell to alliance members.

If you want to do everything on your own crafting and all that then being solo is fine, but you'll burn out. Eventually maybe they can work on the economy so this is not the case.

19. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

How do I do this? I tried last night, but couldn't figure out how to bind specific spells/items to keys.

20. Thubub

Thubub Goblin Shaman
    Legend

Soloing is a viable option. Having played the game since its inception, I have a leg up on soloing as opposed to complete noob. But even the new player can go solo. If you are looking at this guide, using the wiki map, watching videos, and getting the trove of info that is out there you could be just as successful solo as clanned.

That said, there is a huge part of the game you will miss out on. This game is more than a fps - pvp -gankfest. It's an economic game, an espionage game, a strategy game, a diplomatic game, a naval warfare game, and more. Most of that game is played as a member of a clan.

Each style has its pros and cons. Join a guild and you will have more support, but your time may no longer be your own. Go solo and have tons of autonomy. But getting involved in the meta will be difficult.

In the end, it's a sandbox. Do what you want...with the right mindset you will be successful no matter what path you choose.

#20 Thubub, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Nat likes this.