Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Normal Map pictures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KingLlama, Dec 13, 2018.

1. KingLlama

KingLlama Infernal
    Supporter Lifetime

Neil posted these in the discord chat. Just wanted the forums to check them out also.

This deals with the lighting. I was corrected on the normal maps. It isn't the normal maps but how the lighting reacts to the texture.

Attached Files:

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 KingLlama, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Blaze and Sique like this.
  2. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

This is with and without linear space lighting not normal maps.

KingLlama and Sique like this.
  3. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

Is this rendering being pushed to gpu rather than straining the single cpu darkfall runs on?

4. Hook

Hook Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

Can we not fuck with rendering again, since last time it made the game/servers run like absolute dog shit.

Sero likes this.
  5. Lexendros

Lexendros Infernal
    Legend

SHE JUST CAN'T TAKE IT CAPTAIN, WE JUST DON'T HAVE THE POWER!

Yomi Scythetalon and Sero like this.
  6. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

The process we are going through to update textures and things like lighting is completely different from what occurred beforehand, and a lot of work is going into it. Enhancing the graphics of the game is very important if we want to appeal to a broader audience.

Biceps, Dingbat, Slayven and 5 others like this.
  7. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

Enhancing graphics wont do anything for the game if it runs like dog poop
    --- Post updated ---
    Infact the game would need to run twice as good and load 3 times as fast to appease a wider audience

Featherbeans and Slayven like this.
  8. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

As long as you take the load off of the Cpu

Uncle Jo and Yomi Scythetalon like this.
  9. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Performance is of course a concern. Modernizing the capabilities of the graphics system will involve tasks such as adding normal maps, improved shaders, higher resolution textures and shifting more of the the load to the high powered GPU's of modern computers.

Blaze likes this.
  10. Squanto

Squanto Black Knight
    Legend

When is it going to be possible or feasible to re-work the engine to utilize multiple cores? Sieges are slideshows even on extremely high end PC's, and certain locations have terrible framerates. Performance should be better.

I know you guys are looking to pay your current employees and set them up on longer contracts, but I think it would be a good decision to look into hiring someone to do this if it is possible. I think also looking into hiring a 3d modeler full time to start pumping out item skins is going to need to happen if you guys want to survive once freemium hits.

Methodico, koruun, Bonii and 4 others like this.
  11. hirve

hirve Goblin Warlord

@Andrew:

if you're working on graphics these are all fairly simple:

- convert all the opaque bc2 textures to bc1 to halve vram usage. if you have the original textures you should recompress them with something modern + generate mips up front
    - fix AF so the game doesn't turn to blurry shit at a distance
    - use world space distance for fog rather than depth. if you rotate the camera the fog changes. http://in2gpu.com/2014/07/22/create-fog-shader/ talks about it about half way down
    - make fog blend with the skybox colour so you don't get ugly terrain silhouettes against the sky
    - tell me how to run the game exe directly (without the launcher) so i can run the game in a graphics debugger and i will find more shit for you because i enjoy it

btw also:

- replace bz2 with zstd to make the game smaller and load 10x faster. bz2 is why the game is so slow to load and why buying faster drives doesn't help

Methodico, DeadlyHit and Squanto like this.
  12. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

I honestly dont see embers of war being release before the end of q1 2019 or even q2 2019 at this rate.. just the fact that they cant handle adding in a tcs 1.0 that was due mid october.

Kantor likes this.
  13. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor

If they shift the model rendering to the gpu, youll actually experience an fps increase.

Blaze likes this.
  14. Squanto

Squanto Black Knight
    Legend

Doubt BPG will give you access to run the game without the launcher. You could download the darkfall emulator from here. It's a direct launch to the game so you should be able to debug that, its probably the closest you are gonna get. You'll need to go to this to set up the EMU on your PC, steps are pretty simple and easy to follow. Message me if you have any questions about the emu.

15. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

Renderdoc. It's over 9000!

16. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor

You think it would be pretty bad for DF?

17. hirve

hirve Goblin Warlord

this is the number one reason to get the game off d3d9

18. Arwill

Arwill Game Engine Developer
    Developer Legend

Hi.

I'm the one working on the graphics engine.

1. Texture compression: AFAIK currently all the textures are compressed to DXT1A or DXT1C, which is also called BC1. There might be some textures without alpha channel which were compressed to DXT1A, or even as you say to DXT2. This is taken care of.
    2. You were right about that, AF wasn't enabled for all shaders. I was assuming it comes from the graphics settings dialog, but apparently it was disabled.
    3. Changing the fog sounds simple, but there are lots of different shader variants that need to be changed. The fog should look the same applied to every kind of surface, so it has to match a single formula in every shader. All the shaders need to be unified first, so that their later maintenance is simpler, and the lighting formulas are consistent.

Regarding the loading performance:
    1. From what i've seen, there are multiple things at play. The loading speed could be faster if instead of lots of XML files, the engine would load most the data from a binary blob, load that as a memory mapped file once when the game starts, and work from that.
    2. The whole engine is built on the concept of sending messages from one part of it to another. This concept is better known from microkernel architecture operating systems. It does trade some efficiency for sake of modularity. Message processing involves a lot of polling and processing messages in spinning loops.
    3. The engine uses a separate thread to load files. The synchronization between threads is worth investigating.

GrimReapiN, hirve and Blaze like this.