Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

normalising all schools?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by remmold, Jul 30, 2018.

1. remmold

remmold Goblin Warrior

do you think we should create a "magma storm" spell for each school aswell as making all r50s have the same shared cooldown aswell as the knockup of fireball? perhaps adding 1 "ultimate" spell for each school that you can use if you use full "fire cloth armor" or whatever or "ice cloth armor" if you so desire? then you pick the flavor of mage you enjoy the most, tie the ultimates into perks?

thoughts?

Scrapnotcrap and Wes Furtive like this.
  2. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

Brace yourself.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. remmold

remmold Goblin Warrior

i realise that everytime someone tries to alter combat its embraced with love and respect. but im not really changing anything just making it so that ppl who enjoy blue spells dont have to use magmastorm in their rotation but can instead use "lob shards of ice" spell isntead!

Dixie Normus likes this.
  4. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I think reduce magma to current fireball knockup and change all 50s knockups to current 90 knockup.

But yes, I agree all schools should have that kinda spell

Dixie Normus and remmold like this.
  5. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Infernal
    Loyal Legend

normalization is not fun.

unique spells, schools, and abilities are fun.

6. remmold

remmold Goblin Warrior

i tend to agree but right now its normalised but the only school that really works without the others is fire

7. Dixie Normus

Legend

Totally agree.

If some schools locked others. They way darkfall was supposed to be.

8. Johhny Mad Dog

Johhny Mad Dog Celestial

No, I actually thinkg every spell should have their own special abilties. Right now r90's all have their knock up. They should have had their own effect that made them special.

Examples :
    Exploding charge. Small knockback
    Blizzard, slow speed to normal walk speed for 1 or 1,5 sec.
    Inferno back to previous knockup.

I don't know why they made them all act the same but I don't like it at all. Sure it's easy because you have to worry less about balancing the spells but it takes all variety out of the game. And a lot of fun too.

#8 Johhny Mad Dog, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  9. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Darkfall and its community have a bad habit of removing FUN for the sake of pure balance

10. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

I'd like to see more 'artillery' spells that are like magma but a little different for each school. Magma is a fun spell it's got real weight to it and feels satisfying as hell. More spells like it would be sweet but they should definitely be different enough to make each school different and valuable.

Wes Furtive and Johhny Mad Dog like this.
  11. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

omg

all we need is CHANGE a lit bit more the combat.

i know 50k new players waiting for that

12. Dixie Normus

Legend

Honestly best thing they could do for pop is perma ban all the vets.

Once the game picks up an apm over a certain speed, ban.

Game detects you makin infernal before 6 months, ban.

Lol the only way to get new people to play is to get rid of all you fucks.

Probably myself included.

Slayven likes this.
  13. KeredCaltith

KeredCaltith Goblin Warlord

R50s share a 1.5s global cooldown since June and think they no longer debuff.

14. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

This is kinda what a lot of people asked for, apparently it's off the table though. It was something like this:

You choose 1 elemental school, others get locked. (You could further this by choosing necro/arcane with your choice of element or not.)

- R90 cooldown would be adjusted to make it identical to the current have 2 to use.
    - Ray cooldown would be adjusted to make it NEARLY identical to the current available usage.

The same DPS output as currently available from mages would be sought for each mage school, what this leaves is a choice of utility and damage type between the schools.

Balancing would have to stop fire from being the go to choice, as the knockups are too strong, but apart from that, there was still a good variety to choose from each school.

It could be expanded upon as the game went on, such as adding even more quirks to the schools, like a burn tick from fire damage, or something of the sort.

Each school would get Bolt/Ray/R50/R90 + Spell Protection, and Hasten Spells MIGHT need to be moved (not anymore I guess) to Lesser/Greater magic.

Fire: Knockups ofc, Quick Buff, Volcano/Fire Wall, Haste/Rapid Shot, Magma
    Water: Int Stat Buff, Melee/Ranged Slow, Gill (Meh), Toxic Rain/Ice Storm
    Air: Dex Buff (lel), Arrow Shield/Ward, Come Hither, Stormblast, Lightning Storm, Tornado
    Earth: Strength buff, Stoneskin/Ironskin, Meteor Strike, Impale, Pungent Mist, Stam leech, Earthquake (lel)
    Necro: Protection Weakness Debuffs, Vamp Touch, Eye Rot. Death Fog (Would have to get an R50, and changed/new spells imo)
    Arcane: Lend Mana, Spell Reflect, WoF (Would have to get a Ray and R50 added and changed/new spells imo)

Everyone would/should have access to Witchcraft/Spell chanting, (or dissolve these schools and split them up between greater/lesser magic and necro/arcane, with things like witches brew being added to greater, and needles being added to necro etc).

Now, what school do you choose, and why?

Fire is good for knockups, Earth is good for melee/mage style, Air lets you have stormblast and come hither, The only truly weak school imo is water. But it allows for some diversity, and maintains the same DPS output as before, meaning your ability to kill your target via aim is not hindered anymore then it would be for a destroyer.

Personally, if they nerfed fire knockups, my choice would probably be between necro/earth, although Hasten Spells on Arcane seems OP, and might need to be changed.

Could further expand on this and add robes that benefit certain schools, plus certain staves that benefit the use of certain schools might come into play more often.

I dunno, this option seemed ideal to me, it would have conquered numerous problems with the game:

- Can't be a every school mage anymore/RP factor introduced.
    - Grind reduced since you only needed 1 magic school
    - Destroyer/Heavy playstyle gets inadvertently buffed, since mages will not have as much utility to use against them anymore.
    - Gives potential avenues for different playstyles/metas.
    - Give potential avenues for further content introductions like spell school robes and such.
    - Maintains the same DPS output as before, meaning nothing changes in terms of kill potential, except for the utility spells used by your school.
    - Reduces the need for A LOT bindings helping out NPE inadvertently in the process

#14 Sero, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  15. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

I'd go water/necro and be annoying just shooting debuffs all day. :sunglasses:

Mea Kulpa, Nat and Sero like this.
  16. The Cannibal

The Cannibal Akathar

Makes sense but I don't think Kilrain will approve.

17. Methodico

Methodico Infernal

Yeah I say this months ago!

18. kinglear

kinglear Black Knight

I am very against this, I think it reduces the skill floor and the skill ceiling while being another unnecessary combat change that will be a pure negative

19. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

I mean, leave magma sure, but fireball should not have the best knockup out of all the R50s.

Fireball, Inferno, Magma are pretty much the sole reason Fire was deemed OP throughout DF history.

Either increase other R50 knockup or reduce fireball. I'd prefer the reduction.

Cudelr likes this.
  20. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Knockups are overpowered, always have been and always will be. They need nerfed