Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Not gonna survive with a sub model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zherot, Apr 20, 2017.

1. zherot

zherot New Member

Just telling you, is not gonna survive and you should know better since bigger games have failed with this payment model and had to change it.

When i found out about this game i thought it was gonna be b2p and not even an expensive one since the game looks really dated... and i was gonna try it, even downloaded the client to try it this free time, but then i found out it was a subscription model game and i couldn't help but chuckle and immediately uninstalled, didn't even bother to log in.

Is not going to work and you should know it so either you are very naive (which i doubt) or you are pulling one of THOSE, you are gonna charge upfront like this to squeeze as much money as you can from the fools and then change the model like ESO or Wildstar.

I'm telling you, this is going to fall faster than those 2 and those 2 were bigger games with bigger companies.

NonFactor likes this.
  2. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Graphics aside(and the graphics or at least the look/detail and the world is fantastic), the gameplay and the world is the reason everyone has stuck around. The major hook is the pvp. I guarantee it will be the best pvp experience you ever had and would ruin any other game you played thereafter. You should try it before you knock it considering its free right now, its worth more than the $9.99 sub they are charging.

3. zherot

zherot New Member

Nope, it will change, the developers will realize it will not work or they know it already and are just gonna feed as much as they can with the hype and then change the model, i think is the later, they know already but will pull one of THOSE.

4. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

The subscription model is being removed in the future.

5. Grumbagz

Grumbagz Goblin Warlord
    Legend

Right, because all of these f2p games arent trying to feed off of their players as much as possible... Rigggggghhhhhhttttttttt....

For real though, I'd way rather the devs focus on making a better and better game than have them be forced to work on better and better cash shop content just so they can get paid. Most f2p mmorpgs are excellent examples of this. Games like SWTOR are constantly having to add reskinned costumes and shit so they don't go broke.

Broke kids out here crying because they don't have $10 (That's all you need to get in game where you can trade for sub-tokens.)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Swing, Nat and Incanuth Archbane like this.
  6. NonFactor

NonFactor Fire Giant
    Affluent Legend

agree op.
    subscription is too 2005...

7. KingLlama

KingLlama Winterbound
    Supporter Lifetime

Tell me how Runescape is still alive after so many years? They did the subscription model well.

Nat, Incanuth Archbane and Fengor like this.
  8. SuB ZeRo

SuB ZeRo Frostjarl
    Legend Lifetime

You can obtain sub time without spending real money you betch

Nat and Incanuth Archbane like this.
  9. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Staff Member

Hypothetically lets say we went with a free to play option? How would you limit a free account? No access to clan banks/Limited stats/slower skill gains/smaller personal banks/no property? If you look at archeage which is f2p the Patron gives you lots of things. faster leveling,Better crafting,cheaper auction house listings,Home ownership, faster crafting, arena access world wide, Priority Queing. Sure you can be competitive with a free account but they sure do make it alot easier if you pay.

Owyn Magnus likes this.
  10. zherot

zherot New Member

I never talked about f2p let alone any of those p2w games seriously, the fact that you have to bring those to the table shows that you have really no arguments whatsoever.

Again... i never said anything about f2p, i talked about B2P which is the best model, like GW2, and if after that you need more money just put a cash shop with COSMETICS, and maybe a race change, gender change, stuff like that that doesn't really affect anyone.

Path of exile can survive with a model like this and is not even B2P is FREE.

Subscription is not gonna work.

11. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Staff Member

maybe if DF had 100k people playing. B2P would not work with our current population

12. jakobmillah

jakobmillah Earth Elemental

Stay P2P. $10 is not much of a cost per month for an MMO. If you have problem paying it, there are hundreds of games that are F2P that you can choose. There is a reason why I'm not playing any of those though.

There is only one F2P game I approve and that is Path of Exile, which isn't even an MMORPG. All other options are just so completely filled with popups and fucked GUI due to "throw money at us" boxes.

*rant*

But seriously. Stay P2P. The best model for MMORPGs.

Korak, Sza, Chantree and 3 others like this.
  13. Nightmare UDL

Nightmare UDL Celestial
    Legend

Your loss man. If 10.00 per month is keeping you from the best game ever created, I feel for you bro. You must be in some hard times.

14. Sique

Sique Fire Giant
    Legend

As much as we would all love for them to have a B2P model, it's simply not feasible. They don't have the funds to afford that much of a loss of income.

KingLlama likes this.
  15. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Not one of THOSE! OMG I AM SOME NOT SO SMART GUY THAT CAME OUT AND GOT THE CONSPIRACY THEORY OF THE CENTURY!

u r one of THOSE BPG! one of THOSE!

16. Sorrow Avaritia

Sorrow Avaritia Obsidian Golem
    Hero

There is a huge problem with cosmetics, they cause lag, I have played path of exile loads, I have a good computer and I never used cosmetics for this reason. If I have some1 in my party with a bunch of cosmetics you can notice the difference in lag. Especially when they load in.

There is a max of 6 people in a party in path of exile, it runs a lot better if none have cosmetics than if all 6 do, although I do think there are some spell cosmetics that are actually better when it comes to lag.

Now imagine in DF you are in a siege and there is 50-100 people, and half of them have cosmetics, that could cause a lot of lag. I think if they wanted to add cosmetics to the cash shop, which would cost quite a bit of money to make, but would no doubt sell pretty well, they would have to be very careful to make sure they don't cause lag.

This would mean that they probably couldn't be to flashy, some of the path of exile ones are very flashy, which might result in them not selling well.

If they could make a B2P model that works well, I would imagine that it would be a lot more successful than a sub based model, however I think it will be a big challenge to do. In game that is as competitive as Darkfall is, you really don't want to add lag or give advantages to any1.

17. jakobmillah

jakobmillah Earth Elemental

B2P model doesn't generate enough money. You need that steadiness of monthly income. B2P models tend to suck as well. Only good one I've personally played is Guild Wars 1.

And if cosmetics are being added, I am pretty sure they are going to optimize the shit out of it. Not sparkling shit that takes up particles and such.

18. Finnad

Finnad Air Elemental
    Legend

Been watching the forum regs go up 1-200 a day lately, launch hype is building

Umberto, Bartlebe and Nat like this.
  19. Sorrow Avaritia

Sorrow Avaritia Obsidian Golem
    Hero

They have estimates of 2k+ players at launch. If that happens it will be amazing. Especially with them all playing actively to level.

20. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Subscription model is the most fair way to play an MMO. Cash shops in F2P games almost always bleed you dry and require you spend more than a sub price to stay competitive. ArcheAge is free, but you still have to subscribe if you want the full experience. Darkfall might benefit from a system like that but it's still a little iffy.

If $10 to play for a month is too much for you... then I think there's a sale on some F2P MMO currency somewhere else!

Fengor, Vic and Owyn Magnus like this.