Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Other spells that could be merged

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Ryco Stormeye, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Ryco Stormeye

Ryco Stormeye Deadeye

We recently had a poll about merging Stone Shield and Arrow Shield into one spell and all the Magic shields into one spell. This poll had 43 positive responses, which is a lot for our discord. Not sure if its going to happen but I can hope.

Here are a few other spells that I feel could be merged. The aim of this idea to to make these spells used more in PvP and PvE and reduce clutter amongst the spells. Many of these spell do exactly the same effect to a different attribute. Obviously would need to balance these new merged spells e.g. The durations of debuffs could be lowered from the current 1 min to a new 45 secs or even 30 sec, magnitude could be changed etc.

1). Slashing Weakness, Piercing Weakness, Bludgeoning Weakness & Guiding Wind. Merge these into one melee/archery weakness debuff. They are currently weaker than the axe power attack which is fine. This will allow the spell to be better use in group without having to know what weapon types your group members are using.

2). Iron Skin & Arrow Ward. Merge these into one buff other.

3). Lighting Ward, Acid Ward, Fire Ward, Cold Ward, Holy Ward, Infernal Ward, Infliction Ward. Merge these into one buff other.

4). Haste & Rapid Shot. Merge these into one buff other.

5). Slow & Delayed Shot. Merge these into one debuff. The muck up the melee/archery user timing spell.

6). Tongue Rot & Burden. Merge these into one debuff. Remove the fizzle aspect and just have it increase cast time. The muck up the magic user timing spell. (Most players hate the current version of tongue rot).

7). Disease, Palsy, Pestilence, Sluggish, Stupidity. These could be removed and Ominous Drain which does debuff all stats, buffed a bit. Currently it has a long cast time compared to the other stat debuff spells and slower travel speed. The current indivdual stat debuff are not used in PvP at all.

8). Lighting Weakness, Holy Weakness, Tarnish, Wakening Blaze, Flesh Curse, Desecration, Weakening Chill. Merge these into one debuff. N.B. Not sure on this one due to current heavy use of all magic types in PvP. If spells were merged then the duration would definitely need to be lower and the magnitude. Currently a 1 min debuff with a -6 protections across the board would be insane in PvP.

Whilst mergeing spells is only one way to make them used more in PvE and PvP, please remember in your feedback thats the aim of this. If you have another idea on how to get these spell and their effects used more ingame please suggest it.

2. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

No.

That would lower the skill ceiling and meta options

Self buffs are only being merged for mage VS destroyer balance and tedious mandatory prebuff reasons

Merging any of the things you suggested would be a big mistake

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #2 Battle Smurf, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Urek Mazino likes this.
  3. Ryco Stormeye

Ryco Stormeye Deadeye

You say it would lower the skill ceiling and meta options however how many people do you know using these spells in PvP or seen people in pvp videos using them?

1). Never seen in PvP
    2). Arrow ward barely ever
    3). Never seen its always Ironskin and Haste first for a melee pusher and thats it really.
    4). Rapid shot used in rotation after Haste or never
    5). Never seen in PvP
    6). Tounge rot used yes but burden never and most people haste how Touge rot works currently.
    7). Never seen in PvP
    8). Never seen in PvP

Having loads of spells avalible gives you therotically more meta options however if they are not being used then you have a few real meta options which we do now currently. Having more spells used raises the skill ceiling and increases meta options IF they are used, which is what I want.

4. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

No to number 1

5. Ryco Stormeye

Ryco Stormeye Deadeye

Thanks for your view. Can you tell me why you think that please?

6. Myater

Myater Cairn Giant
    Hero

The debuffs are used. go fight blaze or any other debuff spammer and you'll see why alot of people hate them and dont use them due to being op/not fun

Urek Mazino and Slayven like this.
  7. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

whoa whoa whoa, I only approve of meele slow and sluggish :p nothing else
    --- Post updated ---
    EHH I'm really really against combining any of these spells here is why.
    a lot of people only throw haste + rapid + iron skin is because thats all they really taught to do, and most time they shouldn't even have ironskin on the rotation its only +4 meele prot not worth mages always have +3 and heavies have prot q4 already.
    Watch any support player player they use almost all of the buff others since they usually human and have a duration staff. I'm pretty sure on my rotation arrow ward is one of the top priority, arrow dmg can creep up on you.

Reason I don't think its smart to put all those spells together because it takes out the skill up deciding to do a small buff rotation and prioritize heals or dmg then doing a huge buff rotation. Sometimes you only should do haste/rapid heals and then go back to what you are doing while other time you can do a whole rotation.

I think debuffs are extremely unfair atm, they are on very low cd so if you miss its not a big deal throw it again, have you tried to meele with the meele slow or sluggish its gg, oh got a panacea cool, 5seconds later they spam its on you again. I don't see the reason to have all the magic debuff together seems weird,

The Red King and Slayven like this.
  8. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

Blaze has said enough and I agree.
    --- Post updated ---
    there is a meta even to supporting..I want to keep it..choices must be made..I like that..

you try to give the best buffs you can given the small window you see that person run by you in combat..buffing the right shit can make and break the winner of fights.

wars have been won by good support players learn from that.

9. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

Yeah as a support player I like having options to do different things

Slayven likes this.
  10. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

there is a meta even to supporting..I want to keep it..choices must be made..I like that..

you try to give the best buffs you can given the small window you see that person run by you in combat..buffing the right shit can make and break the winner of fights.

wars have been won by good support
    this is why I say no...

Blaze likes this.
  11. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

i dont agree with all of this but merging elemental debuff is the buff that mages need i feel...

and i like this thread.
    --- Post updated ---
    because daggers are as good as they are, i cant agree with merging all melee debuff.
    i would merge slash & bludgeon, piercing & guiding wind; that would make it feel like old piercing weakness.

i would either merge all elemental debuffs only or unholy+holy along with it.

fuck it, i think physical prot and both haste should be merged into 1. lets not talk about skill ceiling when we had it worse before: 5 min duration. nothing can be nearly as bad as this era.

im not too sure about merging all wards: i think we would have to give that a longer casting time first like spell reflect. that could actually be a new spell.

i disagree with everything else. i prob use all of these debuffs except for dex debuff. if a destro doesnt have pots, i debuff him to death.

#11 Scrapnotcrap, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  12. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

My brain cant handle anymore keybinds is why i only really have 1debuff hotkey usually with an undeath debuff in there

13. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

That’s the glory of it..IMO. Choose wisely.

The Red King and Blaze like this.
  14. tyfusrex

tyfusrex Goblin Scout

I completely agree with this. Keep simplifying the UX and add immersive content instead = More players and more fun