Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Our Minecraft Server Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Hey guys so I changed the server due to feedback about the modpack we were trying out and people just wanting more of a vanilla minecraft world. The latest version is up 1.8.8 no special downloads required just get the latest version of Minecraft and log in!

Details in this announcement: HERE

Post any comments and discussion here!

Have fun guys and don't grief too bad :p

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Loyal Patron Legend

vanilla ZzZz

3. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin

It's running bukkit going to see the mods I can use with it and add in some things, maybe make mobs spawn more or be a bit harder or something.

4. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin

Oi there's so little for 1.8.8 :(.

I'm checking out some options and a few mods we can put on to add some extra stuff to the game, I thought bukkit had a lot more but it's VERY basic stuff that it adds. Going to see about adding a few mods to add some interesting stuff without getting too crazy. It will require a download though but I'll set up a custom pack through a launcher called Technic which makes it very easy and I'll set up a step by step guide to getting into it.

5. Edar Surefoot

Edar Surefoot Goblin Warrior
    Legend

Good luck finding more than 2 mods for 1.8.8 that are even worth the time to download. Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Thaumcraft.

6. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin

Yeah we'll need to go back a few versions to add in some great mods, the pack will take care of it though it's a simple process to choose a pack, install, play.

Current pack in the works is using 1.7.10. It's seeming stable with 29 mods running just sorting out the launcher for it. There will be a spawn area set up with custom NPCs for players to restart if they lose their base.

-Andrew

7. Edar Surefoot

Legend

Ya 1.7.10 has literally hundreds of mods working for it.

8. dfpotm

dfpotm New Member

I suggest you get spigot (better performance, you have to compile it yourself), and a guilds plugin from spigot website. Maybe consider making a worldborder (native feature in minecraft). Could be nice if we had different guildtowns waging war on each other :D.

9. Edar Surefoot

Legend

You can't do Spigot with Forge mods sadly.

10. KeithStone

KeithStone Deadeye
    Supporter

Someone on the old bukkit team left and did a dmca takedown request and left bukkit hanging, they won't give any updates on how it's going.

Most people have moved over to http://www.spigotmc.org, I've been messing with minecraft servers for almost 4 years now, there's not much I can't do and I know pretty much every plugin available. (check the resource section over at spigot for plugins, you'll also need a spigot jar, if for some reason you don't have the means to compile it to get the server jars pm me and I'll send you the latest spigot jar)

If you can give an idea of what you would like to add to your minecraft server, just give me an idea of the features you would like and I can point you to the right plugins.

There's several devs on bukkit that still update their github and dev builds for their plugins, they just don't post them to bukkit anymore, however you'll find most of what you need over at spigot.

Also, you don't need modpacks for servers you just need the right plugins, however what it comes down to is how much time you want to spend on setting up plugins for cool features.

Mojang made so many changes going into 1.8+ that most of the mod creators gave up, that's why you don't see that many mods being made for the latest version.

11. dfpotm

dfpotm New Member

"You can't do Spigot with Forge mods sadly."

hm forgemods, i was just thinking we could do something like df in terms of gameplay.

I also think spigot is better software overall, than bukkit, especially in terms of performance.

12. KeithStone

KeithStone Deadeye
    Supporter

Spigot is a fork of bukkit, it offers more control over various settings when compared to craftbukkit.

The majority of all servers are running on spigot.

13. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin

Metalkon, myself and synna have been setting up the world for Minecraft using various mods. Most areas are set up but there's some more tweaks to do such as:

-adding in a few mobs for unique drops to use with our traders at spawn
    -finalising mod list(couple minor ones to add)
    -adding in a few dungeons
    -adding in a couple protected towns

Chipping away, it should be set up enough for people to join soon while we're adding the rest of things.

-Andrew