Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Paper Doll Lock Patch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Virginicus Maximus, Feb 22, 2021.

1. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Infernal
    Loyal Legend

This patch was nothing but a tiny nugget of good intent covered in a pile of shit. Anyone even remotely concerned about the future of the project would hotfix this pile of shit out in a big hurry.

Virginicus Maximus likes this.
  2. Landon Dorf

Landon Dorf Deadeye

revert the revert please :)

3. Itwas Luck

Itwas Luck Air Elemental

game requires you to think more with a delay. You get punished for swapping or casting when you shouldn't. Why do people enjoy turning their brains off? I'm not surprised it introduced some bugs though. Also the delay is SIGNIFICANTLY less than dfo still. Bump it up to .45 or .5 again. going halfway doesn't make sense imo. You either acknowledge that delays should be a thing and then put it where it was (because it was perfect if you are in favor of delays) or you keep it removed.

no delays=faster= more skill isn't an argument either. If that's the case, we might as well bump up the movement speed to 500%

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Bakken, TyteDaddyTite, Porch and 5 others like this.
  4. Landon Dorf

Landon Dorf Deadeye

because its all about that braindead melee push. taught many of us to not think just push :)

5. EleTaylorScoob

EleTaylorScoob Akathar
    Supporter

Sure but why no paperdoll lock after bow.

The Red King likes this.
  6. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Infernal
    Loyal Legend

The game feels extremely unresponsive.
    This "delay" behavior is very inconsistent.
    This "patch" broke QoL features like simply equipping a gearbag.
    My system window is inundated with error messages before I've done much of anything.
    My swings are sometimes swings and sometimes not swings. Very cool.
    This is your live server... a "production" environment. Making "experimental" changes on a live server that clearly have never seen 5 minutes of QA testing is incredibly unprofessional.

Who's idea was this? Honestly. I'd love to know which big brain was behind it.

7. birdxd

birdxd Goblin Warrior

from the perspective of someone who never touched dfo, and only played DFUW and ROA, i 100% think paperdoll lock is needed. with 0 delay you aren't punished for your mistakes, you can just press a button and instantly parry no matter what situation you put yourself in. i think ROA's combat should rely on well thought-out decision making and transitioning, and this almost purely comes from having a paperdoll lock delay. i am ALL FOR fast paced combat and fast paced games in general, but ROA doesn't feel that skillful without paperdoll lock, all you do is spam abilities and mash ur keys, there isn't too much thought involved.
    there does seem to be a lot of bugs with the patch though as people are saying which definitely needs to be addressed

personally i dont think the delay is enough either, i have heard DFO was .5 and this is currently .35, you can barely notice the .35, it makes a difference but not enough to heavily impact the flow of combat and transitioning, i think going .5 would be perfect.

8. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

Logging into the forums for the first time in months to be sure I call the people that support this complete and utter fucktards.

Between Luck, Sique, Noah, Bird, and Mike.... I don't think I can find a single wrinkle among their brains - which explains their support.

The irony of knowing the games most of the people that support paperdoll tend to enjoy and support, then seeing them advocate and support changes like this is almost laughable.

Though... not like it matters :) Game are dye.

P.s: Ibis, keep your grubby fucking admin mitts off my post. You'll find the best advice tends to come from those that don't regularly express their discontent.

9. The Red King

The Red King Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

Great revert, the only people who don't like this is the zerging clans who cant zerg as fast. Fix the ghost casts / and sometimes it locks you out of swapping to another weapon and it will be great. Its barely noticeable. But TTK got way better and you actually lose mana / stamina now. Change the lock to .5 and its perfect, but I am sure more people will cry. So I am good with where its at as a compromise.

Down must be high when he tested cause the combat is way more skillful.

Methodico and Sique like this.
  10. birdxd

birdxd Goblin Warrior

why claim ur so much smarter than us without giving ANY reason why its bad? legit an entire paragraph just throwing insults without using that special wrinkly brain of urs lmaoooo.

Virginicus Maximus and Sique like this.
  11. Sique

Sique Fire Giant
    Legend

Please explain why paperdoll lock is bad. If you're on a higher level of thinking compared to us then you should be able to give us good reasoning.

12. EleTaylorScoob

EleTaylorScoob Akathar
    Supporter

I love in csgo when the input delay of pulling my deagle out and finally being able to fire varies between 0ms-1000ms oh wait thats right it doesn't it's the same every time.

Also add paperdoll lock to bow.

Kthxbye.

13. Porch

Porch Crypt Guard
    Loyal

I like it tbh , wasnt a fan of parry fall

Methodico likes this.
  14. Itwas Luck

Itwas Luck Air Elemental

good question. I think on paper it makes sense that it should. but In practice it doesn't make sense. The only people who use bows on land are destroyers. Your major advantage as a destroyer comes from getting melee staff hits. With a delay on bow shots, you wouldn't ever really get any free staff hits and the playstyle would become worthless.

yeah but, you also think daggers are a good change, don't you? basically invalidates your opinion. Not that you really even gave a reason as to why the revert is bad anyways.

15. EleTaylorScoob

EleTaylorScoob Akathar
    Supporter

Oh no i dont mean between bowshots i mean after the bow shot. You can immediately weapon swap after bow shot but you cant with melee or staff.

Edit: reread your post i think you understood me but heres the scenario i dislike. If i shoot an arrow and they fireball me i can parry in the air ezpz. If i shoot an r90 vs fireball parry not ezpz. Same with the "transition game" bow will pull out sword faster than the guy with staff. Just seems dumb.

If this revert sticks im just going to bow/ray machine gun so whatever.

Also daggers are bad.

#35 EleTaylorScoob, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  16. Itwas Luck

Itwas Luck Air Elemental

yeah, I knew what you meant. I think in practice, because of the meta game, it would be too hard of a nerf to destroyers.

Yeah, they are. I think BPG was attempting to make them a legitimate main melee weapon in pvp. No one runs around with ONLY daggers though. All the change did though was force you to carry an additional 2h weapon if you want to compete at the highest level lol.

17. Dagoth Ur

Dagoth Ur Goblin Warlord

The ghost cast shit was in before the patch, just a result of the server hamster dying over there being 20v20 fights.

parry ray meta is absolute cancer, and any patch to nerf it is good. There would have been other ways to nerf it besides reintroducing wep swap delay, but while wep swap delay introduces perceived clunkiness thanks to inputs not having a clear response (since the response is a system message that you fucked up) thats gone once u get used to it and this comes with the added benefit of making transitions more rewarding since people cant get out of jail for free with instant swaps.

18. EleTaylorScoob

EleTaylorScoob Akathar
    Supporter

Just to be clear, this did nothing to ray parry lol.

19. Dagoth Ur

Dagoth Ur Goblin Warlord

In dfo you could not pull out 1h and shield simutaneously, which made it even slower than it would be now with .5 delay.

20. Virginicus Maximus

They need to make the delay half of whatever it is now atleast, and remove ghost casts. All I see is a bunch of kids who haven't logged on in months commenting.