Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Petition for BPG to swap their focus on the game to Ranked Arena and Practice Arena

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sameog, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Sameog

Sameog Gravelord
    Legend

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Yomi Scythetalon

Yomi Scythetalon Oak Lord
    Wealthy Streamer Contributor Legend

Already donated and signed.

Sameog and Hank like this.
  3. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

Might as well add it in before the end at this point.

Sero, Sameog, quietnoobz and 2 others like this.
  4. Funky zeit

Funky zeit Infernal
    Tester

who gives a shit

5. Hank

Hank Goblin Scout

Sounds good! Let's go.

Sameog likes this.
  6. Urek Mazino

Urek Mazino Wave Controller
    Benefactor Contributor

Ew just play in the test server

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  7. Sameog

Sameog Gravelord
    Legend

Someone should post this on r/Darkfall and r/riseofagon

#7 Sameog, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  8. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Loyal Patron Legend

meh

Featherbeans likes this.
  9. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

No one will use it, because everyone is a pussy in this game except for THE FLASH.

BeatIt and Scrubby Bear like this.
  10. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

People seem to think this will become a magical way to get good pvp.
    What it really will be is the top 1% farming everyone for about 2 days then it goes and collects dust like the existing village system because no one likes risking losing and being put in a 'epic pvp video' that gets 27 views 4 likes and 15 dislikes.

Granted this is for 1v1 only. Clan vs clan or party vs party could be more interesting if the population wasn't completely in the gutter. The game is in a bad place where a lot of potentially cool features just won't do anything due to the extremely small active pop. Launch pop with an arena would be pretty cool. Current pop with an arena is just the already established pecking order of 20 actives.

HaldirHardy, Raap, Slowhand and 6 others like this.
  11. Featherbeans

Featherbeans Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor Hero

3+ years tampering with xml files do not grant someone the capacity of making a decent arena of any sort.

On top of that, I believe an Arena would be the worst mode to make DF more popular - but that is just my opinion.

I just wanna see what happens when EOW reaches its funding goal.

#11 Featherbeans, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  12. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

I don't really think arena is going to make the game more populated, and there are WAY better things for devs to spend their limited time on, but whatever its clear BPG won't listen to my plan to revive RoA.

I also think most of the people asking for Arena will stop using them fast because they will lose to the same 5 top people over and over

Population will be too low for balanced match making, queue times too long, and most of u can't handle losing 1v1s when u have no one and nothing else to blame but yourself

It will also kill open world pvp even more

Ironically for me an arena would be great (assuming it had contestants, which it won't by week 3) because wager dueling was practically all I did at the last year of DF1

IF you're going to add an arena the best way to do it would be to include a randomized 3v3s and 5v5s option to increase participation from bad players

If team matches aren't randomized you'll have even less participation after a week

Add a 1,000-5,000 gold cost per player to queue and the winning players get 90% of the pot back, rest is raked as a gold sink

@Neilk since you said BPG is doing arena are you planning it to be full loot, no loot, or both options? And will it be something you can queue up for basically anywhere and then be teleported to an instance to fight or is it a physical location you travel to to sign up and non instanced so other people can watch?

Scrapnotcrap and Thrill Kill like this.
  13. JasperHawkins

JasperHawkins Celestial
    Loyal Legend

They have said an arena is going to be a thing at some point most likely. This nerd spamming everything he can till he gets banned is probably not the best course of action. Anyone who thinks an arena version of DF is a solution or even a stopgap for anything is kidding themselves. if you want fights in the game just ask someone.

14. Funky zeit

Funky zeit Infernal
    Tester

big true

15. Methodico

Methodico Winterbound

I love the arena idea but i think that It Will kill open world pvp, we are not too much for this. What we need It s something which gives people the opportunity to meet, for pvp,sea,pve or coop.
    A solution in my opinion could be to make the map more interactive, similar to a bilboards. players should have the perception of an active world by looking at the map, both for pvp groups and for pve groups. the game should encourage players to meet so even if the population is small the fun is guaranteed = more players

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  16. Sandwitch meal

Sandwitch meal Goblin Warrior
    Legend

I would like an arena. And if it was full loot wouldn't it create more world pvp? Because people would wear down their gear or lose it so they would have to farm. Also I, like most people I play with have a full time job and school, I don't have time to run around the world for a 30 second meleefest. That's the main reason I don't play anymore. Time.

Sameog and The Red King like this.
  17. The Red King

The Red King Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

Will the arena be the savior, no, but if you done properly, could make this game very streamable and could increase the population. It needs to have no loot and full loot options / an entrance fee either gold or something farmed, and have 1v1 / 2v2 / 3v3 5v5 etc. It needs to have ranked and unranked options with a gear cap or equalizer.

When people don't have others holding their hands and there is nothing to do, they log off. I would be on 24/7 if they added it so it would increase my play time, I am sure others would feel the same.

18. Featherbeans

Featherbeans Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor Hero

Tic-Tac-Toe games are quick af and if played well by both sides they all end in a draw...

An arena mode (or CTF or KoH or BR) with DF combat mechanics could work... As a standalone game.

Unless BPG has the capacity of making a flawless instanced ranked arena system, like in Guild Wars 2.

#18 Featherbeans, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  19. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

I don't play the game anymore but an arena is something that would interest me again.

I'm probably a broken record on the subject but it needs a few things to make it not a useless feature.

- No full loot. Rich get richer and the 'sheep' won't play if its full loot.

- Small entry fee (gold or tokens off of mobs to ensure people still farm, but it isn't too taxing when you lose - if you play 20 arena a day at 250g an entry that is 5k siphoned out of the game or 10k if 500g, sinks were needed last time i played). I think this is one of the low key best ways to make gold valuable again. When something is addicting on a small entry like 250g a play in, then you are more inclined to play. Lot of gold can be taken out with this over time.

- Ladder/ELO system for penis measuring. 0 rewards! make this only useful for quick pvp and nothing else.

It won't save the game but its something that will help retain players. I imagine retaining people and making the game seem active is still something the game struggles with. Lot of shit games out in the world still have a solid playerbase that keeps logging in just to arena and such and to be honest this sounds like something that is pretty easy to implement. It doesn't need to be super sophisticated. It could just be a closed in space with a boulder in the middle and it would be fine.

Plus this game could be streamer friendly with this implemented. Doubt anyone is going to stream it but the option is there, and streaming these days is a great way to get word of mouth out.

#19 propain, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  20. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

"I don't have time to play sandbox mmorpgs anymore" is a personal problem and not an RoA problem, and a higher population ( which we'd have if the "tedium" criers had stfu, without longterm grind Darkfall fundamentally doesn't work) would solve that anyway.

These type of games are supposed to take up a lot of time and include "downtime" because it makes the eventual fights more meaningful

Take EvE for example, it has significantly more downtime, logistics, preparation, ect and much higher risk VS reward (1 death in that game could be the equivalent 1,000 gear bags or more in RoA), yet EvE has literally 500x more players than RoA and has lasted 17 years nonstop with an infinite grind.

I wouldn't be against an arena if BPG had enough devs and resources to do the more important things+ arena at the same time, but they don't

Hopefully I'm wrong and Arena works out well even after the first month