Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Please change servers to US WEST

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ult, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Ult

Ult Goblin Scout
    Hero

For a long time in Darkfall 1.0 the servers were located in US WEST. Oceanic players [specifically Australians] would receive a ping of around 210-220. This was actually playable and competitive [until you run into someone with same skill and lower ping]. Then, for some f***ed up reason AV changed the servers to US EAST and the average Oceanic ping went up to 280+. 300+ for some. This was the #1 reason I stopped playing Darkfall and would not bother playing again.

Is there any internal discussions about this from these new devs? Will they be staying where they currently are for sure or is there a chance of the servers being relocated to US West again? I am trying to gauge if I should start telling my gaming community how awesome Darkfall is. But I won't even bother if the servers stay the same as they currently are.

I am really hoping for some good news about this so I can attempt to bring in close to 100 people that are bored with the current selection of craptastic games.

Thanks,

Ulti Mate :D

heyBRO likes this.
  2. Vic

Vic Spellgazer
    Legend

It is on the east coast due to proximity to Europe. Europe has a larger population than Oceania. Would make sense to grab the attention of a region that has more people first.

/thread

3. Bonii

Bonii Gravelord
    Tester

People from the EU are highly competitive, by already receiving 120-140 ping it means that we are already facing a disadvantage.

If the servers moved to US west coast, you can kiss goodbye to your EU population and we will be forced to go to New Dawn.

The amount of people in the EU playing is more than the oceanic countries. I do not see any reason to move it to the West Coast unless RoA wants no Europeans to play the game.

Kalos likes this.
  4. mcdoogs

mcdoogs Chosen of Khamset

Oh yeah, great idea. Screw the hundreds to potentially thousands of Euros even harder to appease the 35 oceanic players.

A better suggestion is for Oceanic players to form a company, buy a DF license, and prop up a server out there for themselves.

Machinist, Lexendros, Fengor and 4 others like this.
  5. Ult

Ult Goblin Scout
    Hero

There was an EU DF server. Will there not be another one? Obviously there is not enough of a population that will play the game from oceania to warrant its own server. Do they plan on having EU and NA or not? I just presume they would but if not then goodbye :D

Whats the average ping from EU to NA west and east? Surely its lower than the crappy oceanic one. 150 is so easily playable

6. Raap

Raap Dire Zombie

I'm going to have to stop you there. ND will have their launch server in NA as well.

Western EU countries currently have about 100-110 ping to the RoA east coast server. A west coast server would be an unplayable, poor quality 160-200 ping due to having to cross the vast wasteland called "the American shitty Internet infrastructure that you basically need a VPN for to bypass".

The Russians already have a very hard time playing RoA as it is, and I'm sure we got more Russian players than Australian ones. The bottom line is, someone is always going to be fucked with a single server setup.

7. Neg Malwich

Neg Malwich Goblin Warrior
    Legend

Yes but if ND is east and RoA is west coast all EU's are going to go ND.

This has been raised so many times and the response is always the same. East coast is the most viable way to give both NA & EU players an acceptable ping. And NA/EU will make up the bulk of the playerbase. Two servers is not option, we all saw how well that went last time.

8. Raap

Raap Dire Zombie

Nobody I know will play ND due to its departure from what Darkfall is (it goes even further than DFUW). EU players will largely just opt to not play any Darkfall game if the RoA server was to move to the west coast... Unless Aventurine sells off DFUW, then a lot would go and play that.

100-110 ping is the upper limit of what most competitive players can handle.

9. mcdoogs

Goodbye!

The difference between west and east coast is massive. You are talking around 4 thousand miles extra miles of shitty infrastructure. Western EU players used to get ~190-210 and its unstable af. Shit I used to get the same but more stable ping to EU-1 in Germany than I did the the CA NA server from the east coast. I can't think of any reason BPG would fuck EU players who are at least 40% of their customers to please the relatively few oceanic DF customers.

On top of that, if every single person who signed up for the forums so far were to log into the server at the same time, it would still only be at half capacity. That is just not enough people to warrant spitting the community along geographical lines again. AV fucked up by getting greedy and splitting the small community after massive early player attrition, it seems like BPG has learned from that lesson.

10. GIGAMO

GIGAMO New Member

Do you have a source on this?

11. Ult

Ult Goblin Scout
    Hero

Thanks for the input, I'll keep my hopes on the other games coming out that already have beta's operating with US West servers. Thanks

12. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

I heard WIldstar is a real WoW killer

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  13. NonFactor

NonFactor Fire Giant
    Affluent Legend

West Cost is like 2x more ping than East Cost for BR ppl.

Ylahoto likes this.
  14. mcdoogs

best reason given so far for an east coast server huehue

#14 mcdoogs, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Ylahoto likes this.
  15. Neg Malwich

Neg Malwich Goblin Warrior
    Legend

From the ND faq

'So you guys are based out of France? Could we safely assume that is where your server would be based once its up and running eventually?
    yes and no.

We have contacts for hosting in France, but that would be a fallback plan if we can’t find good deals abroad. We want to have a single server and we’ll place it where it makes the most sense ping wise for most of our players. We won’t be selfish, and if it has to be NA East coast, so be it.

However, and that depends on how the current code base is and how hard it will be to modify, but we’ve been experimenting with designs that may allow us to have a better solution. It is very early on, so we won’t go deeper into this, but we’d like to remove the “where are the servers?” question from the equation'

EliteMage likes this.
  16. NonFactor

NonFactor Fire Giant
    Affluent Legend

Not a main reason but south america has idk... 300 million ppl?

Talking about potential customers

17. mcdoogs

I agree, it seems like the BR playerbase has always been significantly bigger than the ocieanic one

Banked and Ylahoto like this.
  18. Fatweirdo

Fatweirdo Goblin Shaman

I'm not sure how Aussies are having such horrific pings tbh. Playing through The Great Firewall at the moment and on off-hours when it's not spiky as fuuuuck the 270ping is 100% playable. (Not ideal but... :D)

19. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

It really sucks but this is what you get for being Australian and living in the middle of nowhere. There's nothing that can be done for you. I am sorry but you kind of deserve it for being Australian.

20. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Actually AV changed the servers to US Central (Chicago). The current server is US East (New York).

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    EliPorter and Ylahoto like this.