Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

POLL: Do You Guys Think Vampiric Strike Would be a Good Balance for Destro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Virginicus Maximus, Feb 11, 2021.

?

Should the Devs Add Vampiric Strike (The Melee Spell from DFUW) as a special ability for Destroyer?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    82.9%
  1. Virginicus Maximus

I think removing power attack and adding Vamp Strike would balance destroyer class. Thoughts?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Bonii

Bonii Infernal
    Tester

Destroyer is already insane with the right supports in a group fight.

Balance is not, and should not be based on 1v1s.

@BPG - don't worry, I'll submit my CV to become the next DF GM.

3. Landon Dorf

Landon Dorf Deadeye

Even if it got in I feel half the destros in the game still couldn’t aim well enough to use it lol

Virginicus Maximus likes this.
  4. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Infernal
    Wealthy Legend

This...

5. Sique

Sique Fire Giant
    Legend

It's not even so much about balancing destro, this would make outnumbered fights way more plausible without relying on bhopping or water fighting.

6. Virginicus Maximus

Destro has the worst imbalance 1v1 I've seen in my 10 years of playing this game in this current meta. They are gimped af. Every recent patch has basically been to buff mage and nerf destroyer. Also whats the point of going destroyer if you can just put full infernal on and still have stormblast/rays? Heavy hybrid is even better than destroyer right now. Even in grp fighting.

agreed maybe everybody should gain the ability.

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  7. gatorsmash

gatorsmash Crypt Guard
    Legend

Yes the balance as shifted WAY to far toward the mage, but this isn't it.

There is no downside to mage, either solo or group, and the changes over the years have been not well thought out. There has to be something one spec is better at than the other

To be honest, I'm shocked at how one sided things are now in destroyer vs mage and being outnumbered in a fight are. BPG has really taken RoA down a path that is lost

Fengor likes this.
  8. Virginicus Maximus

Agree with u completely.

9. Bonii

Bonii Infernal
    Tester

Again, Balance is not, and should not be based on 1v1s.

If you're still struggling in a group fight as a destroyer, then you're not receiving the correct support. I hate to say it, but you should check out a Zergfiance @Myater video for overly support destroyer play.

Blaze, The Red King and Porch like this.
  10. Mahirim Godking

Mahirim Godking Goblin Shaman
    Affluent Loyal Benefactor Contributor

In a population as modest as ours Id argue the game (like most games) continually update and change and need balanced as metas are formed.

Is destro strong in a group fight? Yes. Is mage strong in a group fight? Yes.

Im not understanding why 1v1 cannot be used to close a gap.

Why is destro strong in group fights? Because some mage is tunneled and not being situationally aware a destro is smacking his or her face in?

A mage in a group fight is just as strong as a destro. The arguement that it doesn't need love because its strong in group fights is completely false.

11. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Infernal
    Wealthy Legend

WHAT? Please give me at least 1 example of this from EVERY and I mean it literal, give me 1 example.

12. Mahirim Godking

Disable bolt

13. gatorsmash

gatorsmash Crypt Guard
    Legend

Mount reverts from the latest patch just off the top of my head. So now we are back to 09' meta of a mage using all his options vs a heavies begone/grenade to chase and if the mage is on the run he has 3 BTs? I mean you could write this shit out in crayon its so easy to see.

14. Dagoth Ur

Dagoth Ur Goblin Warlord

RoA has nerfed mages hard, while buffing destroyers.

The main buff to mages recently was the addition of disable bolt, which is only superior to disable shot when used with wof thanks to it knocking you up in the wof making it inescapable. This should obviously not be a thing, but also isnt a huge deal unless you are getting zerged, as dodging a wof is easy unless youre getting hit by 7 of them, and getting come hithered out should be the outcome in a group fight, unless your team is occupied with being severely outnumebered.

The only other buff to mages in living memory is something that destroyers can use too, but benefits mages more, that being impulse being fast to cast, which shouldnt be a thing, as the reason it was made a fast cast was because of the removal of lightspike hopping, which has been since reintroduced, and hence impulse should be returned to be the same cast speed as shrapnel used to be.

Destroyers were strong in dfo, and are only stronger now, both in 1v1s and groups.

To the people who will ask "If destro is so good why doesnt anyone play it???" the reason is simple: the only pvp in the game is villages, where you either find no one or get zerged, and destro gear bags are more expensive, which is something the new armours were supposed to fix but bpg is too stupid to use placeholder recolors for the new armours and hence we will never see them, and destroyers CANT RUN AWAY. This is the #1 reason nobody plays destroyer. The ability to pick your battles is extremely important unless you are the one zerging, and hence anybody who finds themselves outnumbered alot of the time will not play destroyer.

At the end of the day this same discussion has been going on since dfo, and always for the same reason: Bad players play destro -> get dunked -> blame destro while in reality they just suck.

Heavy hybrid was always a counter to destro, however it is less of one now since destroyers too can now have mana shield, and debuffs have been nerfed heavily.

Since dfo:

- eye rot is nerfed heavily
    - wof is nerfed heavily
    - every spell with screen shake has been nerfed by its removal
    - pungent mist is nerfed heavily
    - debuffs have been nerfed heavily
    - come hither nerfed heavily.
    - Most surge effects removed -> nerf to mage
    - spell dmg is reduced by a few points, probably due to archmage or intensifies not going up to a 100 anymore
    - rage persists through weapon swaps -> mage dmg output heavily reduced for a minute while destro is unaffected, huge nerf to mage and one that should not be a thing
    - No stat self buffs -> nerf unless 120 stats, which was effectively baseline in dfo because of the self buffs.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things too, at the end of the day the point is destros were viable in dfo, got buffed in roa, and are viable now.
    The weakness that kills playing destro for most people is that unless you are zerging youll just get blobbed for bags since ur ability to run is greatly diminished.

Its probably not the class, its you.

p.s. just buff power attacks, be it through vamp effect or not, as currently its too much of a risk for too little of a benefit to throw one in a melee engagement.

hard2kill and The Red King like this.
  15. gatorsmash

gatorsmash Crypt Guard
    Legend

They reduced the global cooldown on all spells, increasing DPS for every single spell for every single mage. The new higher damage arrows do not offset this because higher damage doesn't beat faster damage. They changed/added grenades the best escape/movement tool for destroyers then made it almost impossible to farm. And they unlocked disables.

On top of that and the most important part, mages can have all blinds, knockups, CC, rays maxed in a week. So now the holes in the spec vs spec even with being able to pick two Archery specs is really showing. People had magic school intensity maxed in a couple maybe but not all. And if you have higher ping which effects landing your arrows you got zero shot.

16. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Varangian Warthane
    Contributor

Isn't the point of a destroyer to disrupt the flow of group fights? Not to win in 1v1 scenarios?

I was under the impression that if you were beaten by a destroyer in 1v1, then he is a god. Is this not the case anymore? Or is it even more the case now?

17. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

Mages and destroyers are pretty balanced, I would say once you get to q4 infernal r70s on both the mage and destro the destro is slightly stronger.

Seems weird to me that people are trying to get destro buffed when its had so many small buffs since RoA started.

The Red King likes this.
  18. Mahirim Godking

whens the last time you logged in and fought or played as a destro?
    --- Post updated ---
    Finally someone with a good argument as to why destro doesn't need buffed. There have been alot of nerfs to spells yea but youre literally not getting into melee as a destro right now without getting to half health first. All the armor prots are ridiculous for how expensive and hard to farm bags are. I am equally just as effective with r70 weapons and some q5 jewerly in a robe as an infernal bag playing destro. The problem is the endless utility mages have with WOF disable bolt, infinite knock up chains, or just land one debuff, and for whatever reason if youve played this game for 5 years now and still suck at it you should never die and just disengage the fight. You can either get slowed (now youre in a wheel chair, or slashing/bludge/peircing debuffed, again in the wheel chair)

Zergs are a thing yes but theres no outplaying obviously a 10v1. But even a 2v1 is not humanly possible in this state of the game. With just small amount of communication you chain your wofs, exchange knock ups. I love it when it when two mages just play with me for a bit and emote laugh as they trade off bouncing me around. My confusion won't blind them because what other greater magic spell am I casting...amirite?! No point in begoning or impulsing to one hit you won't out run anything.

I mean I get people saying you shouldn't balance the game around 1v1s but seriously if you play solo (like i do 90 percent of my time in game) destro isn't a class you should run and I agree. Youre just in a wheel chair now. RIP Destro. I'll never understand why the class thats suppose to kill mages are actually weak to mages.

Its clear to me this isn't gonna get fixed soon so ima have to pull a luck and go mage like everyone else I guess :(

19. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

It has been quite a long time since I have last played, I cant remember the exact time but it was a little while after the destroyers were really strong, I remember at one point they were obviously stronger than mages, then they got nerfed to be pretty similar to mages.

Last time I played it seemed that if both the mage and destro had city buffs and were both in q4 infernal the destro was a little stronger than the mage, outside of city buffs they were pretty similar.

I felt as if the balance between destros and mages was in a good place as long as the destro plays it right. In a 1v1 one of the best ways for a destro to win if the mage and destro were similar skill levels was to out stat the game especially if both had city buffs.

I didn't really get in many 1v1s with a destro outside of city buff duels though so I could be wrong.

20. Mahirim Godking

playing a destro now in a 1v1 against a mage is a donation to the mage. They did make destro too op once tho with arrow damage and the prots vs mage damage was messed up.