Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

[POLL] Third Person Opacity Slider

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by kilrain, Apr 30, 2016.

?

Would you like to have (or test) an opacity slider for your character in 3rd person view (melee)?

1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No (mind saying why?)

20.0%
  3. I don't care

16.0%
  4. Other (please explain in comments)

4.0%
  1. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

This has been mentioned in threads before (@Scrubby Bear for sure, maybe others), but I couldn't find anything in here about it.

Just in case you don't know why, it's because the larger character models are difficult to see around during melee fights. This would sort of "level the playing field" if you will.

Reducing the opacity of your character model by even 30-40% would be a huge difference and make playing larger races much more viable.

Fawley likes this.
  2. Raap

Raap Wildtribe Mage

I'm going to once again be controversial and suggest two things;

1- Add a Field of View setting that allows users to set the FoV up to a maximum of 90 degrees. The current FoV is likely to be around 60-70, which is very small and unrealistic (not to mention out of date).

2- Add 3rd, first, and shoulder view camera settings for all play styles (melee, archery, magic, non-combat mode). The one-size-fits-all mentality ensures you always end up annoying someone, where as enabling full user preference avoids this problem.

Both changes should resolve the "character model blocking view" issue some races suffer from.

MikeJT likes this.
  3. Sique

Sique Fire Giant
    Legend

1 I agree with.

2 is fucking stupid.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    LRM and MikeJT like this.
  4. Raap

Raap Wildtribe Mage

Is it stupid mainly because DFUW did it?

I don't recall seeing any negative feedback towards the ability to change camera PoV in DFUW or any other game that offers it. I believe it is a big QoL improvement that is worth having.

MikeJT likes this.
  5. gosti

gosti Frostjarl
    Legend

There was a negative feedback, ppl said it was "breaking immersion, not in darkfall spirit" etc.

PENETRATOR likes this.
  6. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

You have to be careful of what and how many QoL "improvements" you put in, otherwise you end up with WoW.

Example. You can go use Geckzilla's map to find mob spawns in the world. It's "convenient" yes, but if that was in game it would be fucking devastating to what Df is.

The perspective is one of the major things that makes DF Df.

7. Raap

Raap Wildtribe Mage

You'll hate me then because I also believe we need a more informative in-game world map. Nothing for free mind you, but more of an automatic annotation system where if you discover a mob spawn or point of interest, it remains visible on your map.

gosti likes this.
  8. DestLocke

DestLocke Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

One of the many depressing things about DFUW the first day I logged in was when I realized everything was on the map. I felt robbed of the chance to explore the world. Later they added fog of war, but that was terrible too. A better more usable annotation system that already exists in the game will be the route we go; not automatically annotating for the player. My map covered with 100s of goblin spawns, oh the horror.

MikeJT and Solaire like this.
  9. Raap

Raap Wildtribe Mage

I was vocal on that subject, and suggested some sort of shroud system to Aventurine, and that's what they did. Of course, the damage was already done or so to speak, since everyone in beta was able to see and document the content of the world map before it was covered by map shroud.

I do not think that having an automatic annotation or unlock system is that bad. In a way, it rewards exploration since map information uncovering (or "unlocking") is a form of character progression. I don't think RoA has any current plans of their own for exploration progression, correct? You might want to take a good look at your options when it comes to exploration and the interaction of it with the in-game world map, as I think it'd be a shame to have a world map that does basically nothing.

MikeJT and BraP eX like this.
  10. DestLocke

DestLocke Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

Well, not "that bad" isn't really what we are going for :D I personally don't think organic exploration needs to be tied into a form of character progression though; exploration and discovery is it's own reward. I thought those feats in DFUW that required you to enter X number of tiles were pretty uninspired to be honest. Like a real map, if you find a something interesting you want to remember, you annotate it. Up for debate of course, but I'd rather have players decide what is important to them.

MikeJT and Solaire like this.
  11. SavKjarr

SavKjarr Goblin Warrior
    Legend

Annotations is the way to go IMO. A seamless way I would like to see it done is not only just allowing the player too click the map, add an icon, and annotation manually, but also have a click to save icon pop up on the map/mini-map when you discover something new. Might seem a little nit-picky but it would allow a way to quick pin something to the map without having to stop when you're traveling in group, or on the way to your group and you stumble across something in transit. Just some food for thought.

12. SupDude

SupDude Gravelord
    Legend

1- FoV shouldnt be customizable but should be fix for everyone. If they decide to increase it , so be it , but make it so everyone got the same. Also i still think they should keep the same fov we have now simply because when you are in firstperson it forces you into tunneling on your aim vision and it's intended. You're less likely to spot someone close to your sides

2- Hell no , dfuw apart , it's still a bad idea . Also shoulder view was bugged on dfuw and you know it , aim , and camera. Like the first point , everyone should have the same camera settings for the different playstyles and i see no reason to change that now.

Marco likes this.
  13. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

FOV has more to do with perspective correction than giving an advantage in perhiperal vision.

Your FOV is a function of the size of your monitor and the distance you sit from your monitor.

Most people probably weren't using 27" monitors back in 2009. 100' FOV is simply not enough. I'm pretty sure that's horizontal FOV (most modern games use Vertical FOV because the aspect ratio of the monitor isn't taken into account with horizontal FOV).

We have 16:9, 21:9: 16:10, 4:3 and even 32:9 monitors these days. Some of them more affordable than others.

Some of us need extra screen space to work and 21" simply isn't enough anymore. It's a productivity thing.

I just don't want motion sickness from playing my games and I don't want to play in a window.

14. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

The FoV by default was 90 is already able to change up to 100. I'd like a little more, but this is okay.

Sique likes this.
  15. Malkavia

Malkavia Goblin Scout

Please give us the ability to change font colour, and font size with annotations. Also maybe a few symbols to use, other than just the circle-inside-the-square, which we currently have. Having the ability to draw circles, or squae/rectangles would also give every person a lot more freedom with what our maps function as, to each individual, and look like.

16. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

I have to disagree here. I didn't like the way DFUW did it at all, but I think it would greatly help the game to have a map much like the new Zelda: BotW. Where you have to physically visit a map location for it to record that location. Several bits of lore were tied to the map because that "zone" was named something specific, such as the name of a specific waterfall or rock edifice.

Things like Fog of War or unexplored map areas would unlock by large spanning regions by triggering a specific node to reveal that region and it's respective nodes within that you discovered along the way.

Obviously that would mean dev time, so I'm okay with not spending it on that, but I'm sure implementing some automatic way of recording mob spawns/holdings without having to tag each one individually is possible.

For things like political information, perhaps when you visited a holding's system message, it would add the clan/alliance owner. However when that ownership changed a "?" would appear and require a new visit.

The reason I really really don't like annotating all my own things like mob spawns, is because external information is always better and more useful. So I constantly have the 3rd party map on my 2nd monitor.
    --- Post updated ---
    OOO, you could add a cartography crafting skill. You could use it to "craft" a map and sell it. When a player double clicks the map it copies them your map info consuming the map.

NonFactor likes this.
  17. clandestino2a

clandestino2a Skeleton Archer

i don't care, if you make it possible i'll probably won't use it but its because i play elf but i've tried wolf and can perfectly understand changing opacity could be a great help for a race like wolf. no reason for anybody to say no, yes it breaks immersion but its not like we are forced to use it.

18. nightblighter

nightblighter Akathar
    Patron

There wasn't an option specifically for yes test so I just picked other. I am always open to testing things. "Immersion breaking" is the term that pops into my head; it seems weird that I would walk around constantly like a ghost. I think rather than having it be an always on setting, if it only came on when your camera hit a wall and zoomed into your character a certain amount, that might be cool. As a mahirim I don't really have a problem meleeing alfar outside, but inside dungeons meleeing everything is a problem.

If you want to make mahirim life easier, a sprint indicator icon would be huge.

In regards to the poster above me, if they gave me the option I would probably feel forced to use it, to maximize my pvp potential. That is a shitty reason, but it is true.

Also it would be cool if the launcher could support polls like this. I don't feel like the people on this forum are representative of the average player.

19. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

I would imagine it would only phase into transparency when you unsheathe your melee weapon. Is that correct? No need to have it go transparent while you're standing at the bank.

20. Donaddor Lightbringer

Legend

Would like it if geometry behind your char wouldn't block ur camera so when ur up against a wall its not all zoomed in and when you are in bushes a small circle around ur char would be see through it so ur not just 100% view blocked.

There is also an issue with your 3rd person camera registering whats behind you as if its what you are looking at which is annoying aswell as an issue with people being able to mount up from far away from their mounts because they are in first person. Its like if you added 3rd person range you'd be able to hit yourself in the back with bolts. Not sure if maybe melee reach is effected by how far back ur camera angle is.

#20 Donaddor Lightbringer, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017