Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Premium Accounts vs Free Accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Lionell

Lionell Goblin Shaman
    Tester

Free account will not work if they can't enjoy the hole game so should not limit it to hard. You want ppl that can just log in whenever and just pvp and have fun in the game. Those ppl that will start new of a f2play account and play properly will be able to buy a game time token quick so limits should be

Only 100 in stats
    No market access
    Not own a house ( but able to bind in a friends house)
    not create a clan
    50% less drop from mobs/chests and village loot.

And not more then that.

2. Shieldbreaker

Shieldbreaker Skeleton Archer

Also, forgot to mention, since 2012 RuneScape has released an old version called Oldschool RuneScape, and they have a pretty decent system. The game is f2p, but with maaaasive limitations. However, you can farm up to buy a 'bond' which is their version of a game time token, and play the game proper. And, it is way easier to maintain buying bonds due to easier farming while you are in the premium version.

Seems like a solid model to me.

3. Uncle Jo

Uncle Jo Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

Free account:
    * Soft cap on skills

- Can purchase mastery-level skills, but mastery skill gains are capped at ~25-50% percent and that progress won't be unlocked until Premium time is purchased (once premium time expires, mastery-level skills will return to level 1 until more Premium time is added). Perhaps a secondary "progress bar" could be placed under the skill showing what the skill progress would be if you upgraded to Premium.

- Exp rate for combat skills sharply diminishes after level 3. However, a secondary progress bar under the skill would show what your progress would be if you had Premium. Like mastery-level skills, this progress would unlock when you buy Premium time and revert when you don't have it, except there would be no exp-rate nerf for your potential level like with the above mastery-level skills, just with the free account skill gains.

* Hard stat-cap at 100

- If you have a Premium account and time runs out, your stats would be locked to 100. A secondary bar underneath your stats would show what they would return to if you purchased more Premium time. Unlike skills, you cannot earn "potential stat gains" while being a Free account.

* Inability to craft or pilot ships/boats

-You can still man the cannons, but you can't craft or steer the ships themselves.

* Marketplace restrictions

- Limit of 5 purchases per day

- Can only list 5 items/stacks at a time

* Bank restrictions

- Can only have 1,000 items/stacks as opposed to 2,000

* Travel restrictions (iffy on this one)

- Can travel freely throughout the mainland, but the other continents are walled-off.

- Much of the ocean is still available, but the other-continent restriction remains.

- (Runebook / runestone restrictions?)

*Property restrictions

- You can enter a house and use all its amenities (safe, etc.) but you cannot own one, be an invited resident at one, or pay house taxes.

Premium Account:

Same benefits we have now, but perhaps we get some amount of Nithron coins per month of Premium time in addition.

4. Train of Pain

Train of Pain Infernal
    Contributor Streamer Legend

Think you may of went a little heavy on the restrictions but just my take.

5. Sero

Sero Forest Golem
    Loyal Legend

LOL. Dude the market is more active then ever before. The market isn't dead. Reagents arent being sold because they are instantly bought.

Maybe 10 is a little harsh, but there needs to be some caps on them. Something that makes them go "fuck this, im buying premium."

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Fengor and Bartlebe like this.
  6. Copperfield

Copperfield Frostjarl
    Legend

f2p is f2p.... by seeing the donation of the vets here we can ealisy conver the costs to hold the server up and running

no restrictions please

7. Mega

Mega Ghost
    Legend

Free Accounts:
    75 max stats (Stats degrade over time if over 75 and unsubbed)
    Lvl 3 max spells (Stats degrade over time if over 3 and unsubbed)
    Crafting limited to base only (Mastery lvl degrades over time if unsubbed)
    Harvesting x5 longer and less harvested
    Can't own houses
    If in clan, they don't count towards minimum player count to siege
    No village rewards (For obvious reasons)
    Using portal system cost x2
    Market fees x2

8. Sero

Sero Forest Golem
    Loyal Legend

This is another way to go about it. This means all development goes towards skins, however.

GTTs are what is currently keeping the server up and running.

Fengor likes this.
  9. Ikaika Koa

Ikaika Koa Goblin Shaman
    Wealthy Contributor Legend

- Cap attributes at 100
    There really isn't a large difference between 100 and 120, but it'll be enough incentive for some people to get the premium. If you have 100 in attributes, your character is more than strong enough to easily farm enough good for a gtt, so if they don't go premium, that's their decision.
    If their attributes were over 100 already, they don't lose their progress, it just locks at 100 until going premium again.

- Can't own a house
    These in itself will be enough to convince some players to go premium. They should be allowed to live out of someone else's house, but some restriction could possibly be allied. Perhaps they can't pay the taxes on the house, can't use the runebookshelf(if that gets implemented), other limited accesses.
    If they own a house already then lose premium, they do not lose their house right away, but are unable to play their taxes. They'd have plenty of time to farm up gold for a gtt.

- Can't create a clan
    Allow them to join a clan, and I don't think there should be any restrictions on how they affect the clan, except for possibly not counting towards the amount of members needed to siege a holding, to prevent the exploitation of multiple siege stones dropped by one side.
    Wanting to start their own clan and be their own master will be enough to convince some players to go premium.
    They shouldn't lose their clan if they go back to freemium, but not counting towards siege numbers need should be enough.

- Cap their bank at 1000(half)
    They would still be able to use extensions, as these are paid for, and if they went from premium to freemium, they shouldn't lose their extensions, just cap the general bank.
    If they have over 1000 items then downgrade to freemium, they shouldn't lose the items inn their bank. It just gets full, so their unable to put anything in the bank until going back to premium.

- No crafting masteries
    As a dfo crafter, this seems harsh to me, but I think it's a good idea. Let them make basic stuff, but pay for premium if they want to craft better gear. They still have access to all items made by others, and Gtt aren't that expensive right now.
    Once again if they drop from premium to freemium, they shouldn't lose their skill progress. Masteries just get locked out.

- Better daily log in rewards for premium
    Premium rewards could also include some nithron coins, to help premium members continue their premium.

- Shorter capital recall for premiums
    - Premium only skins
    - Premium only titles
    Are all good incentives as well.

I don't think fighting skills should be capped under the max, as 100 attributes should provide enough character nerf to encourages players to go premium, without being massively p2w.

I dont think there should be an restrictions to farming, looting, or the market, as you want these players to be able to get to premium as easily as possible, to bring in more revenue.

I don't think there should be much restriction on fast travel on freemiums over premiums, except possibly small things like longer capital recall cooldown.(I have already said before in more relevant threads that I believe billboard ports to villages should be completely removed from the game when we get a higher population, so billboard restrictions shouldn't need to be a thing. Billboard ports to villages are fine with low population to help people get a fight. At a higher population, there will always be people with access to the village for pvp, so global access will just cause massive fights(as we already have seen during this ftp with 20+ forces at villages to guarantee capture.)

#49 Ikaika Koa, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  10. racethemoon

racethemoon New Member

This is a common problem in PvP MMO's or servers. I for example was playing in Wurm Online on the Chaos server and this discussion came up frequently about players creating accounts to make havoc for their opposition. I bore witness to it a couple times, where MR made freedom alts and then run them over to JK areas. There're various ways to limit the extent of the problem, that I'm aware of. Keep in mind one of the largest alliances on the server was MR and guess what finally defeated them? Metagaming and some minor exploits in the game. This caused a mass number of them to leave the server for Deliverance, or some of them to quit. It all boils down to knowing what the other side is doing and infiltrating their ranks, as well using every possible loophole in the game. Alts are a part of this. That's what led to what amounts to a paranoid application phase before you can join those alliances, and continuing paranoia throughout the time you're a member. An example from Shadowbane actually happened to me. You didn't need to create a new account to make alts. I was banned from a clan because they suspected I was a spy. I wasn't. Paranoia does that.

Ability to create alts will affect the game. But it's hard to say what the extent will be.

#50 racethemoon, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  11. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Goblin Shaman
    Loyal Hero

I think the easiest way to go about this would be incentivizing people to premium, rather than taking too much away from freemium accounts.

Two things that should be understood:

1. We cannot make the game P2W. Capping stats or skills for freemium accounts would be a bad idea.

2. You should not limit runebooks or anything in the in game shop for F2P accounts. This is what's going to keep the game going when we are full free to play. Not everyone is going to sub to be able to utilize a skin, but a f2p player might be willing to buy a skin to use it.

Some recommendations I saw that would be good places for us to start:

-No house Ownership or even being able to use the house bind skill
    -Limited Bank Space -> Somewhere between 500-1000
    -Village loot reduction -> 25-50%

Billy Lee and Blaze like this.
  12. Blaze

Blaze Air Elemental

The example from Wurm Online Chaos is a bad example, since it wasn't people becoming spies and getting high rank it was Jk hacking into MR forums and stealing the high character logins and thus destroying the empire. I agree that its possible for people to make alts, but idk kinda hard to hide your identity in this game with play style ect,

13. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Goblin Warrior

I agree with other suggestions but I think capping stats is fairly pointless. Games like runescape are a bad reference because members and non members are separated and the game isn’t pvp enabled everywhere. I think if anything it will frustrate new players and be a reason for vets to not bother logging in.

Blaze likes this.
  14. Blaze

Blaze Air Elemental

No, they need some type of access so they buy the premium tokens off of it when they want to go premium.
    --- Post updated ---
    I like it, also, maybe 25-50% less skill gains It's still gonna be extremely fast to level, also not sure how they can do the bank space what happens when you go um premium and you have over the limit that is allow for none premium

15. racethemoon

racethemoon New Member

That's what I meant by metagaming (they got one of the users login information). And you know infiltrating the ranks of your opposition is a lot easier when you can make alts. But in Wurm Online it's a lot harder to get high up since skill gains are so slow, and alos because paranoia is so extreme. This issue did matter, enough so that on the Epic servers you're required to have premium access. I went through their forums a lot back when I played and I know there were dozens upon dozens of rule additions/changes precisely to dissuade players from using alts to create mayhem for their enemies

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying we should be aware of how alts can create trouble for PvP. And hopefully Big Picture Games is prepared for the inevitable probelms.

EDIT: I'm done with this. You win. One thing I'll add is even though ti's true non-premium accoutns can access epic home servers, you're ignoring Elevation is where the warfare is, and you're ignoring the stat/skill cap on non-premium accoutns ,as well the numerous rules in the game to limit free accounts in this regard. Thanks.

#55 racethemoon, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  16. Blaze

Blaze Air Elemental

Um Epic was also free to play on the home servers, reasons for Chaos to be premium/non premium was because it was connected to all the freedom servers which also had that set up, I agree people can make spies, and do harm, just how it is.

17. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

I am curious what would happen to a subbed accounts bank if the sub ran out if they impose bank limit penalties on freemium. Shit better not get deleted or put in storage and come out mob dropped with no enchants :D

I think they should have bank space limited but not much else except probably can't own a house and maybe a daily trade limit or possibly crafting mastery limit (r60/50 skill in masteries).

I'm wary of f2p limits being too much.

Fengor and Sero like this.
  18. Sero

Sero Forest Golem
    Loyal Legend

Why? They don't pay to play the game. The goal of being a free to play player would be to play the game and earn enough cash to go premium.

Rampant combat viable alts WILL be a thing, and even then, everything is highly frontloaded.

19. Ikaika Koa

Ikaika Koa Goblin Shaman
    Wealthy Contributor Legend

I explained that in my post advice. You can't add into a full bank, just like it is now, so they're either have to take enough out of the bank in order to put more in, or go back to premium.

Sero likes this.
  20. Kiyayne

Kiyayne Goblin Shaman

Freemium-
    No House Ownership or Tenancy
    T3-4 Limit on Village Loot
    Daily limit on use of billboards(Like 2 or 3)
    Smallest size runebook only
    Doesn't count for clan numbers
    Increased Marketplace tax
    Meditation 2x slower than current

Premium-
    Meditation 2x faster than current
    Potatoes

Brando Pando likes this.