Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Premium Accounts vs Free Accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Sero

Sero Forest Golem
    Loyal Legend

Agree with all of this except for maybe marketplace tax. If we are too limit the market for freemium accounts i needs to be 1 or the other:

Sale/Buy limits OR higher tax rates (but no limits)

Not necessary if non-freemium gets lower rates.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Brando Pando likes this.
  2. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Staff Member

Premium will be the same as a current sub.

Fengor and Sero like this.
  3. Ikaika Koa

Ikaika Koa Goblin Shaman
    Wealthy Contributor Legend

The bank should just act like it's full and unable to be added to, until items are brought below the item limit or they go back to premium. Things shouldn't be deleted or any type of decaying.

#63 Ikaika Koa, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Andrew, Grimtide, Neilk and 1 other person like this.
  4. koruun

koruun Gravelord

I feel like most of the suggestions so far in this thread are a bit too restrictive in nature. Incentives to go premium shouldn't involve limiting gameplay or its main features (Housing as an example). I'd prefer a premium that benefits its subscribers through more cosmetic and indirect means. There are a multitude of customizable aspects of the game that can be utilized, such as non-masking armour and weapon skins, mounts, house aesthetics and amenities; and even smaller things like sail emblems for ships, or shield crests. Limiting stats, profession potential, housing, or other features seems too excessive in my opinion.

Not_Primetime likes this.
  5. Korag

Korag Forest Golem
    Hero

I feel like housing should remain open for free or paid players with the difference being the Taxes
    Free accounts will have to pay weekly tax as where paid subs get houses tax free + maybe add that paid players can place more items in the house (decorations etc. ) (was a friends idea)

Blaze, Ikaika Koa and koruun like this.
  6. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight

Non premium not being able to use skins is a good one.

koruun likes this.
  7. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Goblin Warrior

After thinking about it, seems to me like a bank limit would cause more headache than anything. Killing stuff and collecting loot is essentially Darkfalls gameplay loop. If players cant store loot and cannot take loot out of their banks (without resubbing to put it back) then whats the point of free to play? Essentially every activity in the game becomes pointless once your bank is full, and no one wants to spend hours picking what stuff to get rid of.

Alot of the suggestions on here are alligned with the idea that the cons to free to play should create incentive to sub, this is poor design. You want people to sub because the benefits are appealing, not because the restrictions to f2p make the game less fun/competitive.

koruun likes this.
  8. Korag

Korag Forest Golem
    Hero

ESO does this, your bank and items your bank holds is much larger if you pay a sub.
    I feel like you have to look at it not as restricted. Can do the same things except if you sub you can do more. It is about how it is viewed more than anything..
    With the base game you get 1000 bank space, subscribers receive double the amount. You can still pull out any items already in the bank when your account goes free to play but you cannot continue to add to it.

Ikaika Koa and koruun like this.
  9. Brando Pando

You can do the same things in theory, but you wont. Lets be honest, you aren’t going to go pvping if your bank is full bc you cant store your loot, your not going to pve for the same reasons. If you pull something out to use, you cant put it back in without deleting hundreds of items (assuming you are over f2p cap). You cant enjoy any aspect of the game like that, so whats the point of free to play then besides being a pseudo trial for new players. There are a million things they could restrict but to do it to banking is just lazy and counterintuitive.

10. Korag

Korag Forest Golem
    Hero

Then you would sell stuff or find a way to empty your bank, people do it every single day in ESO
    Or you would sub, I mean it is ok to not expect to get the same as someone that pays. It is a common thing in the world to get what ya pay for.

That is the point of freemium model, to let people get a taste and want more so they pay for it.
    It isn't free to play exactly, every company is going to do what they must to keep the doors open, pay the people working and make a profit or what is the point of having a business?

Blaze and Ikaika Koa like this.
  11. hirve

hirve Goblin Shaman

faster/instant crafting, more resources from nodes, more runebook slots (don't have a runebook yet so i don't know how they work)

12. Brando Pando

The point of the freemium model is to get people to play, a poor freemium model is counterintuitive. Like I said bank restrictions are a lazy idea that is gonna do the opposite of what bpg wants. The game has had a 350% pop increase since the free to play period, if these players couldn’t acess their banks it would be lower. The first step to getting people to pay is to get them to play the game. More players improve the game for everyone, which ultimately leads to higher profits. Premium can be appealing enough to drive subs without forcing people into it.

13. Korag

Korag Forest Golem
    Hero

Takes a bit of time to fil up 1k bank space, specially with the fact they can be expanded for $ the extra 1k is more of a bonus than a restriction. I have been playing since launch and barely have over 1k. I think your reading way to much into it, it is a common thing to see in fremium models of games.

Ikaika Koa likes this.
  14. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Winterbound

Faster recalls and crafting time seems reasonable. You could also make the global crafting menu (no idea what it's actually called) a premium feature. That might be going to far, but maybe not.

15. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Stormgraive
    Wealthy Legend

I hate to bring logic and reason into this discussion as people are so quick to pile on restrictions.

I will start out by saying I have never played a premium model game that restricts attribute levels or levels for a character. Most premium models throttle the XP progression, meaning a premium player has say +15% XP progression over a F2P player. I've seen games restrict F2P players from guild/clan ownership and are not allowed to create parties. The F2P model suggested so far by mostly players will fail. It is nothing more than a desire to maintain a power gap over F2P players. These are ironically the same players that say no play to win but that is exactly what is being discussed here.

So many posts just assume there are going to be 2 types of players those that are F2P and those that are premium. This is very short sided. I generally don't have premium all the time, I purchase it when needed to help grind to say tier 10 tank. Once I've reach my objective I let the premium expire till I need it again.

The scenarios that people are not considering are but not limited to:

1. I am a clan leader that lets his premium sub runs out. What happens to the clan? Is the player removed for leader, clan disbanded? What if there is one leader? What about the holding?
    2. Housing? Again premium sub runs out. What happens to the house?
    3. Player has 120 in all attributes. Again premium sub runs out. Is that player's attributes reduced to 100?

The list can go on to spell and melee mastery levels (all things I've heard here).

One again what will hold this game back is it's players

Flame away...

16. Ikaika Koa

Ikaika Koa Goblin Shaman

Check out post #50. I explained how all of that would work.

17. Korag

Korag Forest Golem
    Hero

I agree, skills n stats should not be touched in this other than maybe a small % increase for subs.
    I think it is ok if people have and or join a clan with ftp I do not see a point or benefit in restricting that at all.
    Feel like the whole point of freeminum is to give people a chance to play the game like everyone else, then they learn they can have more if they sub..

Blaze likes this.
  18. Ikaika Koa

Ikaika Koa Goblin Shaman

Freemium is to get people to play. If your bank is full, sell a small bit of your shit and buy a gtt. They are very easy to get. And this is coming from a guy who works more than full-time, and rarely has time to play. It takes an hour a week of playing at most to farm enough to buy a gtt.
    If you don't want to pay for the game, and don't want to spend an hour a week farming to continue your sub, you won't have the same gameplay as one who will. That's your choice.

19. Korag

Korag Forest Golem
    Hero

If nothing else could leave banks at 2k then add 10% increase for subs

Houses for everyone but no taxes for subs

10% skill gain increase for subs

10% additional carry weight for subs

everyone should have access to skins so they can spend the money buying them.

10 or 20% increase to gold drops for subs

add some kind of guild banners/flags or crests for everyone but make special ones for subs (store item)

Harvesting bonus for subs

All I can think of right now

20. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Staff Member

I could see no taxes for houses owned by subs. But for all the other stuff we aren't adding to premium accounts we are limiting free accounts.

Billy Lee, Fengor and Ikaika Koa like this.