Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Put RoA on Steam!

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Ryan-The-Eternal, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Ryan-The-Eternal

Ryan-The-Eternal New Member

When I was looking for a new sandbox to play in this week I searched on steam first and found DFUW on there still! I played the original DF and missed the unforgiving combat. So I searched Google to find out the what all had happened to the game. I was surprised to see the 2 new variations so I researched them both and everything pointed to New Dawn being dead and RoA is free and active.. easy choice! So now I'm playing RoA. However most people will not go to those lengths to find a game they haven't heard of or played in 10 years even if it's free. IF it was on Steam and FTP I probably would have logged in months ago.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Cyborg

Cyborg Goblin Warrior
    Hero

I think BPG is waiting until they release the expansion to do anything like that

kinglear, Fengor, Sique and 3 others like this.
  3. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Winterbound
    Wealthy Legend

Nope they said Steam wants too much money.

#3 Not_Primetime, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  4. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

No we didn't. We are investigating numerous options with the expansion.

kinglear, Fengor, onslaught and 2 others like this.
  5. Not_Primetime

Wealthy Legend

You failed to see that I quoted Bound?

But I guess you can deny it, seems to be the new norm in society these days. I'd trust the Project Manager's word over the Sys Admin/Web Developer.

6. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

What Bound said is inaccurate, we are exploring numerous avenues including steam.

I'm one of the lead developers.

Fengor likes this.
  7. Not_Primetime

Wealthy Legend

You guys need to get on the same page then. BPG's answers need to be consistent.

Korag likes this.
  8. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

To clarify yes we are considering steam and other similar online platforms for games alongside the expansion. Steam is in some regards pretty long in the tooth and with so much competition it is no longer the clear winning choice for indie games it seems.

We haven't ruled them out though and we are exploring other options too including discord's platform they are pushing now.

9. Janosh

Janosh Windlord
    Legend

RoA launching soon + steam release!!!!! a man can only dream

Featherbeans and Fengor like this.
  10. Not_Primetime

Wealthy Legend

That is the most non-commital no that I've ever seen. Feels like a scene from Dumb and Dumber, you know the one!

[​IMG]

Thrill Kill likes this.
  11. Sameog

Sameog Crypt Guard
    Legend

You guys should put Darkfall on all of them if you can.

Side note
    I am totally hyped for the arena, if you implement it the right way it will be amazing. Also wondering if there is any headway towards fixing the default bindings and making them pvp viable?
    Get the community to get together and figure out the most user friendly bindings that exist and get it in with embers of war or sooner. This would help noobs so so much.

12. Copperfield

Copperfield Black Knight
    Legend

glad to see that the options are still avail..

i have pm's with bound that complete tell the oposite.. which was that you have no intentions to do steam release.

as already said.. its very cheap to launch a game on steam specially as f2p.

the trick in this matter is :

launch f2p on steam.. but keep your nitro coins.. aka cashshop on the roa website.. this way you can sort of buy pass the cut of steam..

lost of games do it this way

you pay a small amount for being listed on steam.. and take the profits from potentional new players through your cashshop on the roa site.

13. Dylan

Dylan Goblin Scout

You would be surprised. The only game that really 'matches up' in features is Mortal Online, which is ran by a pretty detestable company. Not to mention the game it self literally can not execute what it wants, and is riddled with a pretty god awful community.

As long as you're not misleading, prepare properly for such a release, and encourage new player growth / retention.. I think Rise of Agon would do just fine. Obviously you're going to have people try it out and not stay because it ends up not being their kind of 'genre'. But thus far in my experience, even with the new character areas being (mostly) barren I've had a good experience.

The community might be toxic to some degree, but they seem to want to retain the new players that do show up. In that game I mentioned before most of the vets pretty much just troll, mislead, and grief the noobs into the ground. However in RoA I've had people reach out to teach me, help me, even give me stuff to get things going when I didn't deserve it. Even still I'm receiving help and it's quite awesome.

I don't claim to understand marketing or how to spread word of a game except by word of mouth, but RoA has a -lot- of good stuff going for it plus with the roadmap being quite awesome if it all actually came to fruition.

Oh yeah. A shameless plug but it would be awesome if we could have or find some fix to 'properly' capture the game with streaming software such as OBS. Using 'Window' capture seems to be the only solution but it cuts frames in half which makes the game PRETTY choppy and ugly to play.

14. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Infernal
    Supporter

Do you think more people would give the game a chance when they started out if the newbie zones weren't basically empty?

Methodico likes this.
  15. Dylan

Dylan Goblin Scout

It's a double edged sword really. I didn't have to compete with other players over the 'noob' spawns. As I started with my friends. So yes and no. If the spawns were completely flooded with people at the starting areas.. it could deter people more. But I feel like those who would be deterred probably wouldn't stick it out in the long run.

Short answer, yes. A healthy and easily seen population makes people want to play multiplayer games.

Long answer, it's a mixed bag really. I think the people who come in wanting this kind of genre will stick through it. Those who are trying it out for the sake of 'trying it', maybe not so much. Though as long as the server had no stability issues and there wasn't massive amounts of lag. I think overall the player retention / population would be much better (as well as for people wanting to try it out) if more people are playing it.

Korag likes this.
  16. AbyssWalker

AbyssWalker Air Elemental
    Supporter

steam is crap,all players there is casual morans,so they will not even play this amazing df game.

17. Featherbeans

Featherbeans Infernal
    Contributor Hero

Releasing the game on Steam with the current QoS it's almost the same as shooting your own foot.
    What a time to be alive...

18. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

Good Luck getting anyone to publish RoA
    Hope you guys have a net ready to pick up some of hundreds of Blizzard employees that are going to get some really bad news tomorrow.
    Some of them might even be former DFO players :tongueout: